Thankful

Thankful

A Story by Jacob Clifford
"

Thanksgiving Themed

"

Thankful (2015)

 

            With everything, all the pain, all the anger, all the sleepless nights, it's easy to forget just how lucky I am. It's too easy. Too easy to dwell on things. I can't count the number of afternoons I've spent doing nothing but hiding away in the dark corners of my mind and listing all the reasons why my life sucks. I don't ever try to start; it just happens. My mind wanders and takes breaks in all the wrong places. It hunkers down for the night next to my partial deafness. It calls up the nerve pain in my chest and talks for hours. It writes letters to the joint stiffness in my right hand and is sure to consult the dictionary before each word is written.

            But this isn't one of those times. This time, for once, I want to reflect on all the good things. This isn't all that easy to do, so I'll start off easy and try to slowly branch off. First of all, there is my family, of course. Without them, I would be nothing. Both literally and figuratively. Without my parents, and their parents, and their parents and so forth, I wouldn't even exist. But even more, I wouldn't be a shadow of the person I am today without the support and love my family gives me. I can still remember the day I first told my mother I was starting to write a novel. Seventh grade, twelve years old. I was nervous and made the statement almost jokingly, so that if she said it was a stupid idea I could easily back out. But she didn't, thank the lord. She has been encouraging since day one, with more than just writing, and I couldn't be happier about it. Writing, not just with novels but in all forms, has been one of the best things in my life. It lets me escape from bad memories, meet new friends (again, both literally and figuratively), and just straight up have fun. And my writing is going stronger than ever. My novel is slowly being completed. I've recently found a new form of expression in poetry. And I can create quick, fun worlds by writing short stories.

            I am thankful for my loving sister. We have never had the model sibling relationship, but we don't need to. We've been then when we were needed, and neither one of us could have survived through childhood without the other's support. And now that we're both starting to get our lives in order, I can't believe that it's all over--we aren't kids anymore. But that's okay. Nothing has to change. We can still be there when times get tough. And our family is soon to expand. Her baby is coming in a matter of months. The children are having kids of their own. As I write this, it is hours before her birthday. Truly, I don't know how I would have managed without you. I am so happy that you've found love. Life has so many doors, and you can choose to open any one you want. I love you, sis.

            I'm at the point in my life where I have to open some doors, myself. My school days are rapidly coming to an end, and it's terrifying. But I'll be okay. I just have to stick to what I believe and tough it out.

            Speaking of school, it's so easy to look back on it and think Ugh, thank god that's over, but there is plenty to be grateful for within school, too. I met my first friends in school. I had a chance to learn who I am. I even had a chance to show off at times. Naturally, it wasn't all good. But that's okay. I have faced challenge and learned to overcome it. I should really be thanking all those problems and people for making me a stronger person. Caleb, you cheeky windbag you. Your insults don't bother me anymore. I can think for myself. All of you teachers, you taught me discipline and work ethic. And yes, even you, Miss Peterson. You who made me cry. You who broke my heart into a thousand pieces.

            College is an exhilarating and scary experience. It shaped and refined me in ways I never expected. This time is where my writing really started to form. I may be a bit antisocial by nature, but I've found a way to be productive with my time. And I've finally found what I want to do with myself until my time on this earth runs out. Writing has allowed me to meet people, to touch people with my words, to learn about myself.

    In my short time on this website, I've made a number of great friends. I've never been one for online friends, but you all have changed my mind on that matter. Thank you for accepting me into your midst.

            And thank you, reader. Maybe I know you. Maybe I don't. I don't care. Thank you. Thank you for just being you. It may not seem like it sometimes, but you're beautiful. People care about you. The world would be a different place without you. You have talents. I know you can make a difference in the world. And I know just as much as everyone how easy it is to forget, but you have things to be grateful for. Find those things, and focus your efforts on them. Life's too short to stress the bad things. Meet people. Make mistakes. Learn something new. Just have some fun along the way.

© 2018 Jacob Clifford


Author's Note

Jacob Clifford
What are you thankful for?

I hope I didn't get too gushy with this piece. It all sounded right in my head, and I hope it sounds right in text.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Thankful"
Clifford,
How nice to come upon your shining reminder that life is good! It's not fall and definitely not Thanksgiving season but to read your message this mid-day has done me good. Thanks
The closing of your wonderful poem:
"people care about you.The world would be a different place without you. You have talents. I know you can make a difference in the world. And I know just as much as everyone how easy it is to forget, but you have things to be grateful for.Find those things, and focus your efforts on them. Life's too short to stress the bad things.
I wanted to absorb the above words.
Blessings,
Kathy


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Kathy. It seems like people review this piece whenever I myself could use a rem.. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

I hope that little glimmers of God's gifts continue to make themselves know and you have eyes to see.. read more



Reviews

I really liked this a lot. It's got a lot of truth embedded in it. It's the first that I've read of yours and I enjoyed it very much. Great job. Keep up the good work man!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, I'm going through a rough patch and won't be making any new works for a .. read more
Joe W

8 Years Ago

Well hope all will get better.
This is so thoughtfully written. More people should take the time to appreciate the things in their lives.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Hannah. Writing has a way of convincing/motivating people to do or not do thing.. read more
Very mature realizations from a young man. Most of us are to stubborn to acknowledge others for making us work hard and not always take the easy road. Being thankful makes us an insightful look into ourselves. We discover feelings and thoughts that may not have revealed themselves otherwise. May not be a bad exercise to deepen our writing skills.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading.
I'm thankful I got the chance to read a write-up that tells me I'm not just another number on the face of the earth. The best part about reading this is that you can feel the passion, the life, the enthusiasm that went into writing it. This isn't just a thankful story, it is the thankful story. Nice job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Oh thank you so much!
People need to contemplate what they are grateful for...this has me thinking and there is so much I keep locked away because I have been through so much people would judge you for, but I am grateful just to be alive. Thank you for helping me have a little gratitude instead of negativity. it is a gift you have your writing Clifford, to move people in different ways.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Aww, thank you so much!
An Amazing, truly touching piece. Your vocabulary was good and you had a satisfying conclusion. You make me want to read more :)
Gave me a smile right across my face.
Thank you so much for posting this, also, feel free to check out my profile and read my stories :) I've just started writing.
Writers like you truly inspire me to achieve my goals and dreams.
Mira.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much! I glad I can help motivate you.
Absolutely beautiful. Your family has to be so proud of you. In the beginning, i hate to say, i thought it was going to be cliche- just another "thankful for the necessities", the fact that you went into detail and even allowed your readers to see through a tunnel of your world was incredibly thoughtful. I enjoyed each sentence, each description. I loved every moment of the read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Erica!
Drcicarlo

8 Years Ago

I can't wait to read more from you!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

922 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 12, 2015
Last Updated on March 1, 2018

Author

Jacob Clifford
Jacob Clifford

MN



About
Thank you, my Cafe family, for all that you have done for me. This has been a wonderful period of my life. If any of you ever want to reach me, feel free to send me an email at [email protected]... more..

Writing
Cracked Cracked

A Story by Jacob Clifford



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beatles Beatles

A Poem by Ted Kniffen