Jester on the Roof

Jester on the Roof

A Story by Jacob Clifford

Sitting on the roof, the jester watched the sun dip below the treeline. This sunset seemed metaphorical to him. As the day was ending, so was an era. The king was deathly ill, and his son lay buried, his mangled body still warm. The jester's lips twitched and a tear rolled down his face. He buried his face in his hands, his shoulders shaking. Nearly a minute passed, his strained gasps growing louder and louder before finally he threw his head back and let loose rapturous laughter. The sounds of his mirth echoed through the sleeping village. He wiped tears from his eyes, leaving behind a crimson smear.

© 2018 Jacob Clifford


Author's Note

Jacob Clifford
I'm experimenting with flash fiction. Trying to tell a story in few words, letting the reader fill in the blanks. Let me know what you think. I welcome any feedback.

Awarded the "Freaking Amazing" award by Andronicus

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Did you mean, 'mangled' instead of 'manged'?
Just an observation.
I have never wrote flash fiction before. The shortest story I have ever written was 5 pages.
My introduction prologue to my fantasy story could be considered 'flash fantasy' at only 3 pages, but I never even considered it.
Anyway, I enjoy your writing, Clifford, and thank you for gracing others with your work and showing them examples of how to write and keep people's attention.
Score does not reflect the work by any means. It's simply how much I rated it.
Keep them coming :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Novel Minded_75

6 Years Ago

No, nothing in particular, Clifford. Just a score of numbers.
Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I'm sorry; I didn't word my response very well. I wasn't asking about the score. I was asking indepe.. read more
Novel Minded_75

6 Years Ago

I was caught off guard at first but the gasping that turned to rapturous laughter, but once I read i.. read more



Reviews

Laughing through his tears.like rain falling when the sun is out.very intriguing story to write
Well done

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, KC. Thanks for stopping by.
An easy to read flash piece but yet it took me a little time to work it out. Once I did - Clever, very clever. I won't spoil it for other readers though. The clues are then and cryptically well done. As usual Clifford, I enjoyed your work. Please do write another one like this.

Mark.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

matrixmark

6 Years Ago

Thank you for thanking me. Time: I only wish there was more of it in the day to get more things don.. read more
Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I hear you. Where does it all go?
matrixmark

6 Years Ago

Tell me about it!

Mark.
I love how much is said by implications instead of by being directly stated. The jester's wickedness is very powerful when the full story is understood. The jester killed the king's son, but did the jester do anything to the king? Was the king poisoned, or was it just "fortunate" timing for the jester?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Hannah! This story is intentionally vague, and there's no "right" answer, but I had it in my.. read more
The Jester, like the Clown, hide behind that mask.
But you never really know what goes on in that mind.
The laughter is really hiding a deathly deed.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Very well stated, Paul. Thank you for your comment.
Wicked! So much said in so less words. Very well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Zoe. I appreciate it.
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No problem
Imagery you portrayed is so well and palpable in this story.
I think your attempt in flash fiction is really noteworthy.
Also a second reading helped me to feel the magnitude of emotions you portrayed through such few lines.
Great story!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Neetha. Glad you enjoyed.
I think this works very well. I think the ill king would be very happy with his jester sending mirth through the sleeping village, even though his son was dead. I like the similarity between the sunset, and the crimson smear. Well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

This story is pretty cryptic, but I was trying to imply that the jester was the one who killed the k.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

Oh, it is so easy to misinterpret poems. I thought the crimson smear was the sunset reflecting on h.. read more
Clifford,
Excellent story using flash fiction. Your imagery and show of emotion carried your story. Even though the story presents questions of detail, you give enough info to let the reader understand the background. You are a natural at this genre.
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Richie! It's great to see you. And thank you very much for your kind review.
THIS IS AWESOME! I was completely carried away as I read. At first I was very much entranced by your vivid & uninhibited imagery. Then I felt like laughing when gasping turned to mirth, nicely gradual transforming moment, & a second later I remembered this was the jester, so of course. It all makes perfect sense. Plus it's a great allegory with the lesson of turning sorrows into laughter. You packed so much into this, which is the point of such a short piece. It feels very complete.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm really surprised at the reception this piece is getting. I thought it might.. read more
I didn't write that very well, but hospital coffee is designed to generate heartburn and blurry vision...I did get the story. I reread with and immediately saw that you created a piece of Flash Fiction that is firstly - waaaay less than 500 words, extremely hard to do. And you did it well. Write more Flash, you've already mastered it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your flattering review. I hope your surgery went well.
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

My husband underwent a five hour surgery on Friday: the surgeon put titanium rods and pins in his s.. read more
Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I know being in a hospital can be a stressful time. I've only been there an extended time as a patie.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

894 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2018

Author

Jacob Clifford
Jacob Clifford

MN



About
Thank you, my Cafe family, for all that you have done for me. This has been a wonderful period of my life. If any of you ever want to reach me, feel free to send me an email at [email protected]... more..

Writing
Cracked Cracked

A Story by Jacob Clifford



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bullshit Walks Bullshit Walks

A Poem by BBP