South On Ventura BLVD

South On Ventura BLVD

A Poem by Judas Hammer
"

I came to LA in 2000. I had been trying to make it out to the Valley for years. I finally made it. YAY.....I escaped The Harbor jail.

"

South on Ventura BLVD

 

My late night strolls on Ventura  

different from my Pacific avenue treks.

More investigation then self-purification.

 

Since I have been to the valley, long gone are the stenches.

Long gone is the deifying silence.

Long gone is the hopelessness draped in dark three am curtains.

My human hamster cage called the harbor city is as a misty memory.

I guess I remember it as one would remember a private flogging.

It seemed horrible before it happen.

 

Painful was the act.

Afterward a faded thought yet visceral enough never wanted to be repeated.

Yoga parlors, Ethnic food places and frozen yogurt parlors have replaced

 The bars, ninety-nine cent stores and bodegas serving the best B rated Mexican cuisine.

 

My eyes have seen enough.

Pupil still stained with overcast harbor nights.

The gum ravaged sidewalks.

The fragrance of vagabond urine greets me at every alley juncture.

The characters replaced by empty charming streets.

Every once in a while I am greeted by a slowed patrol car.

I glance into the stores I cannot afford.

Peek into the bistros with meals I will not sample.

That place seems to good for the likes of me.

 

Yet I am happy.

Here I am.

I have arrived.

Still breathing.

Still alive.

The demons are at the end of the 110.

One day I will eat in that over priced Greek café

The one down the street

 

© 2011 Judas Hammer


Author's Note

Judas Hammer
I really like the comment and the the conversation via comments. I think that what writing should do, create conversation. I like to hear the comment but I really like to find out where fellow writers head are-

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is superb! I liked its outward focus and the way it ended on an introspective vent. Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Time changes everything. One thing is replaced by another, and it too is later replaced by something else, and life goes on. Whatever happened to drive-in movies?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Really lovely writing... I like whole wording... Keep it up.. God bless you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like this piece a lot. I have a piece somewhat similar to this about Philadelphia. Not exactly the same concepts but still. I really liked this, I remember when I was a kid my mom used to take me to this awesome little strip mall in Philly, all these adorable shops, food vendors, cheap lunch buffets. Went back just a few years back and was blown away by the condominium that now stood where my mother and I used to buy flip flops and eat all the banana bread & mac'n'cheese we damn well pleased in Lil Soho Buffet. So much for reminiscing that day, I suppose. It's a shame things change but that's life. Thank you for sharing this. I definitely related to it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


superb painting of a place I have never been to, but now I feel I have a fair knowledge. I don't know though, I kinda like bodegas and B rated Mexican chow.
thanks for sharing JH.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting setting. I'd love to see a bit more description of what you see. Colors, smells, feelings, etc... I haven't mentioned this much before because sometimes writers can describe in overdrive, but a nice balance is what every writer is looking for. Take us through the experience. Let us experience it with you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liked it.
Felt a bit scattered toward the end but when am I not scattered, right?:)
I like the imagery, the way you make the reader feel as if they were strolling along with you on the BLVD. And then... The way you describe over priced store, passing them by, as we all have... Keep writing.


Posted 12 Years Ago


A very nice picture you created :) Great piece :)
Beth :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really love the line,
"The characters replaced by empty charming streets."
kind of a people as places, and vice-versa phenomenon.

You did this throughout the piece, great imagery, I'd love to see your film work, you have nice vision and pace as you personify a scene.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sometimes our journey will take us down dark, desolated paths and sometimes they will be vibrant, brightly lit avenues. I certainly am no stranger to either. I tend to believe that each diversion is as imperative as the other in leading you to your final destination.

this piece is a reflection of a "well rounded" individual. your writing is textured, real, and alluring.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
57 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 22, 2011
Last Updated on October 23, 2011

Author

Judas Hammer
Judas Hammer

The City of Angeles, CA



About
I like to write, live in La and write and make short films. and more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever Forever

A Poem by Dark Beauty