The Angel Of Ignorance

The Angel Of Ignorance

A Chapter by Elizabeth Fiske

Chapter 1: The Angel Of Ignorance




Dear whoever happens to be reading this,


We all walk alone in life. When it all comes down to it, everyone is too selfish and too ignorant to understand one another. Trust me, I would know. “Friends” and “lovers” aren't real. They're fake and wastes of time created just so humans can feel like they're not alone, which is completely and utterly stupid. People just need to accept reality and move on.


Sincerely,

Viola Sparks


~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~

I sat with my butt in the sand and my feet in the water, loving the sight of the ocean stretched in front of me. Cracking the stiff joints in my neck as I moved my head, I scanned the rest of the beach for any humans. None in sight.

I remember the way sand used to feel between my toes when I was a living, breathing human, back when I could feel physical sensations. I really miss that, but I love my job and where would I be if I was still human? I get to see who people really are underneath their masks they wear all the time and underneath all that fake crap they do to be accepted by that piece of crap they call “society.” I don't remember myself being like that when I was a human. Maybe people are so oblivious to their own stupidity because they don't know what's really important in life; they haven't experienced enough suffering to understand what's important. Even if they were to suffer enough, however, they still be too stupid to understand.

I watched the waves steadily roll in and out and push under my feet. Nature was simply wonderful; it didn't have prejudices, emotions, thoughts, regrets, wants, or preferences. It was just there, and it gave humans a place to be, half the time, without bothering us.

When I say us, I mean us angels. Really, it's very bothersome to have to listen to people's prayers and to people's petty wants all day. The whole process is very overrated in the first place. I mean, who do they think we are? It's impossible for only the few of us to make everyone's lives perfect. Besides for me, there is only four other angles, and with me on Earth most of the time trying to help these people feel fulfilled with their short, stupid lives, the four other angels are left doing the bidding of these humans. At least my job seems a little more good-willed than answering prayers. My job is to help certain humans fulfill their dreams before they die. Every five years I'm given a list of about three to five people who are close to death, and I'm the one responsible for making sure they fulfill their “destiny.” Obviously, not just anyone gets put onto my list. Only certain people who will help the world reach its final destiny get put onto my list. What's the world's final destiny? Well, if I told you then I would have to murder you in your sleep. No joke. Did I scare you? Honestly, I don't know what the “final destiny” exactly means. I just do my job. If I don't, bad things will happen to me, but I don't mind at all. I've grown since being a human, and now I know more about life and the world than all the humans on Earth put together will ever know.

So, I get put down on this hell hole every five years to see if I can lead these idiots to a better fate. Sometimes, it's easy, but other times I get people who are just plain stupid and almost pitiful. The process isn't that easy either; I have to make myself out to act, look, and feel human, and somehow influence the person to do what the higher-ups tell me to make them do. One time, I had to get this man to kill a bunch of people in London. Let's just say that mission wasn’t one of my more pleasant ones.

What sickens me the most is when humans think they've fallen in love. Once again, that just goes to prove my point even further: humans are stupid. What is “love” anyway? A very strong feeling of attraction towards someone? This is kind of funny actually. I once heard that humans have soul mates from this one girl I had to make write a diary while she hid with her family and some other family in a secret annex. This, by far, was the most ridiculous, mindless ideas created by humans yet. Soul mates! Having someone who you're destined to be with forever, even after the grave! I've been an angel for 237 years, and not once have I've heard anything like this before. Not from the other angels, not from the higher-ups, and I've never seen any humans who could “love” each other to that degree. It's a bunch of bullshit. It's so stupid that it makes me want to laugh.

I finally stood up and tried to brush all of the sand and mud off of my body. I pulled down my sunglasses over my minty green eyes, and I ran my fingers through my long black hair. Although, I could change my appearance, I only stayed with this one when I wasn't on any missions, because it's looks way too beautiful to be anything close to a human appearance. Besides,(except for the beautiful wings, pale and glowing skin,sparkling eyes, and somewhat of a halo) I was born looking like this, all the way back in 1757.Although I'm 254 years old, I still feel and look 17. It's totally worth it.

Hesitantly, I pulled my list out of the back pocket of my shorts. Skimming through it for the millionth time, I realized that I only had three years left to get through four people. Three human years. Angel years are easy, because one angel year is 10 human years(So, really, I'm only 25 angel years old. Wonderful, right?) My job just wasn't that easy. No, I had to follow the stupid humans' way of life if I wanted to get anything done. Which meant I couldn't use any of my angel abilities unless I was sly and was able to cover up any symptoms from using them. Although the aftermath of using them kind of sucks, the abilities are really quite awesome. That's right, a 254 year old knows what the word “awesome” means. Anyway, each angel (all five of us) is given their own special ability, that doesn't have any penalties for using it, when they've died and have become an angel. Mine was the ability to delve deep into the minds of humans. I could see when they will die, their entire past, their secrets, their desires, their thoughts, and their subconscious, along with other things. Ultimately, I can wrap any human around my finger, and get them to do what I want. That's why I was the chosen for this job. Fortunately, my ability showed me the truth about humans, and I swore to myself that I would never fall all over them, unlike the other angels.

Holding the worn paper in my hands, I stared at the first name: “Lillian Patricia Campbell. Lives in Orchard, New Hampshire, United States Of America. Influence to burn her house down with family inside. Address: 131 Willow Drive” That was all that was ever printed on the lists: name, location, and objective. It was simple enough. All I had to do was get this one girl to burn down her house, and, in all honesty, I've had harder...It turns out, I was wrong.



© 2011 Elizabeth Fiske


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, you have my attention. I want to know the story behind this angel's name. Viola Sparks? Was that a given name or did Viola have it at birth? I like the way you made angels out to be big movers and shakers of the world's fate. It makes them seem more old testament the way this one goes about things. Good? Love? Peace? Bah! Angels are above such concepts! Thank you for not going with the sappy lovey dovey cherub type angels we tend to see in literature. F**k Clarence from It's a Wonderful Life, I want to see more Viola!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This isn't your typical angel and it's refreshing. I can't wait to find out what happens on her mission. Apart from a couple places where "angels" was "angles" and a few misplaced commas, this was very well written. I liked the Anne Frank reference, too.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

still lovin it

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this. The angel thing is always a intereting subject. I love your take on angels really enjoyed

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, you have my attention. I want to know the story behind this angel's name. Viola Sparks? Was that a given name or did Viola have it at birth? I like the way you made angels out to be big movers and shakers of the world's fate. It makes them seem more old testament the way this one goes about things. Good? Love? Peace? Bah! Angels are above such concepts! Thank you for not going with the sappy lovey dovey cherub type angels we tend to see in literature. F**k Clarence from It's a Wonderful Life, I want to see more Viola!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I would be a little cranky myself is there were only four angels and I was one of them to help over 6 billion people on earth, ha I would convince people to use birth control so I could work less and vacation more! I have to wonder out of all the people who have died why was he the lucky one to become an angel, I imagine that is deeper in the story. This is interesting and would be good to see where it leads, I imagine this angel needs a wake up call himself. Nice start :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

"help the world reach its finally (final) destiny get put onto my list." "What's the world's finally (final) destiny?" "If I don't, bad thing(s) will happen to me," "Sometimes, its (it's) easy, but other times I get people" "Lets(let's) just say that mission" "What sickens me the most is when humans think they've fallen in love. " I'd put "fallen in love" in italics, so the disdain can come across, but that's your choice. "I finally stood up,(omit that comma) and tried to brush all of the sand and mud off of my body." "doesn't have any penalties for using it, when they've died and have become an angle(angel)."

This is actually an interesting side to angels, so I look forward to reading more. She seems more like an angel of death. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 5 people found this review constructive.

1. "Besides for me, there is only four other angles, and with me on Earth most of the time trying to help these people feel fulfilled with their short, stupid lives, the three other angels are left doing the bidding of these humans."
I noticed that all together there are five angels, but in the next line you only mention three besides yourself, so I wondered what happened to the fifth.

2. Besides for a few spelling and grammatical errors, I enjoyed the read. You made me LOVE to HATE this angel. I am definitely anticipating for the next chapter! Please keep me posted!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A very different take on angels to be sure. Good character building. You love to hate her quickly. Nice hang at the end making one want to read on. So far, an interesting read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mysterious and full of impending doom. The dread it fills you up with makes you want more right away.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2011
Last Updated on April 16, 2011


Author

Elizabeth Fiske
Elizabeth Fiske

Monroe, NH



About
First things first: I don't care if your male, female, black, white, Asian, gay, lesbian, trans-gender, straight, overweight, skinny, tall, short, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. I respec.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..