"A Letter From Lacy"

"A Letter From Lacy"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

A mysterious package arrives on the door step of Lacy Woodside. Whatever you do DO NOT OPEN THE BOX!

"

“A Letter From Lacy”

By Cody Williams

 

To whom it may concern:

My name is Lacy Woodside. By the time you read this letter I shall be no more. This letter is meant as a goodbye note to tell my story and as a companion to the box in my closet. Whatever you do DO NOT OPEN IT! I sure wish that I didn’t.

 

The box arrived on my front porch about two weeks ago. I heard the postman honk his horn. Something about the box must have frightened him off because when I answered the door he was gone and all that was there was the package.

 

As I would normally do, I picked up the package and carried it inside. I carried it to the kitchen and placed it on the wooden counter top. I looked at the white label on the dorsal side of the package where it read TO: LACY WOODSIDE. FROM: ROBERT SMITH. This sent chills up my spine.

 

Robert was a deer old friend of mine who worked in the Science Department of the University where I worked. He died nearly two years ago from an unknown illness. Curious to what was inside, I grabbed a large knife from the uninstall drawer and cut the masking tape off of the top of it to open it. I pulled back the light brown colored pieces of cardboard back from the center of the package revealing a rectangular dark brown wooden box.

 

On the top of the box in big golden letters read DO NOT OPEN THIS BOX!!! Underneath the box was a vanilla colored envelope containing a letter written by Robert.

 

The letter went on for several pages about how he came in contact with the box and by the time I received the box he would be dead. I guess he died before he could mail it. He also went on for several more pages warning me not to open the box.

 

I wish I had listened! Why didn’t I listen? I guess my curiosity got the best of me. Like the old saying says; “The curiosity killed the cat.” In this case I am the cat and it is absolutely true! I cannot stress that enough! What is in that box wasn’t meant to be seen by human eyes. It was not meant to be known!

 

Anyway, I did exactly what he told me to do and I placed the box on the top shelf of my hallway closet…at first. I know this sounds crazy, but every time I walked by the closet, I could hear it call my name.

 

Being the scientist that I am I naturally began to get curious. I began to feel a bit over confident. I began to think to myself; why shouldn’t I open it? What could be so horrific about a 12in. by 6in. wooden box? I opened the closet door and stared at the box for a moment. I reached up and grabbed it off of the shelf. I put it under my left arm and closed the closet door.

 

I carried the box into the kitchen where I placed it on the counter top where it was before. I began to inspect the box. I realized that on the face of the box was a golden lock. I felt a mixture of relief and fear. But still I felt the nagging feeling that I needed to open it.

 

I remembered the brown envelope that came with the package. I reached over, grabbed it, and poured everything out of it. Pouring out of it was all of the documents mailed to me by Robert and a small golden key. “You don’t need to do this! What will opening that box really do for you? Remember what Robert told you!” I thought to myself. I ignored it and decided to open the box. I don’t know what it was about the box that made it so damn attractive. But I needed to know what was so horrific about it. It seemed like I would go crazy if I didn’t find out. Against my better judgment I made the final decision to open the box.

I grabbed the key, slipped it into the keyhole, and turned it to the left. I heard the lock being disabled then I pulled out the key. I placed the key on the counter next to the box and took in a deep breath. I knew that I shouldn’t do it, but I felt that I needed to.

 

I placed both hands on the wooden box and lifted up the lid. To my amazement there was nothing in there. Nothing but a red felt lined box and a glass door. I noticed a small white square shape piece of paper at the bottom of the box through the glass door. I opened up the glass door and grabbed the little piece of paper.

 

The paper read:

 

“WHO EVER OPENED THIS BOX HAS GIVEN IN TO THE WEAK TEMTATION OF MAN. YOUR PUNISHMENT WILL BE A SHORTENED LIFE. FOR EVERY HOUR YOU REMAIN ON THIS EARTH, YOU WILL AGE FIVE YEARS.”

 

I am now 85 years old. I don’t know how much longer I have left to live. Six hours ago I was only forty five years old.

 

The box is now where it should have remained, on the top shelf in the hall closet. My time is quickly running out. I can feel it. But just forget about me. Soon there won’t be nothing left of me as I slowly turn to dust. Whoever you are, whatever you do, please DO NOT OPEN THAT BOX!!!

 

Sincerely,

Lacy Woodside

Lacy Woodside

July 4, 2013

 

Copyright 2013 by Cody Williams
Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS
A division of TTP Entertainment

Image by FlamingText.com

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
MCHC-BVS6-UCBM-LBK2

http://www.copyrighted.com/copyrights/view/znhj-h0zh-gyvy-vjxk"> border="0" alt="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
ZNHJ-H0ZH-GYVY-VJXK" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected
ZNHJ-H0ZH-GYVY-VJXK" width="150" height="40" src="
http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
Leave me a comment and tell me what you think! Also please check out my other short story "Mortality"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There's an interesting concept explored in this piece that lends itself to introspection and contemplation of society. Some of the grammar could be cleaned up and the math on the years is wrong 6x5=30 so Lacy would be 80 not 85. Other than that this is a fun little short story. I think you could draw out the temptation aspect of opening the box so that the non-exciting revealing of what's in the box has more impact with respect to the curse.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!

-CW
Astro

10 Years Ago

You're welcome, sorry I took so long.



Reviews

Great job on this. If you have a chance, can you check out my new story "The Sitter"? Thanks

Posted 8 Years Ago


A very well written tale. You brought me in with question and mystery and led me to the surprise ending. I had to read again. I like the mystery of the box. Sometimes good to pay attention to words and warnings. No weakness in the outstanding story. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Coyote! I also wrote a prequel to this story called "Robert's Journal". It takes .. read more
This is cool. It would be neat to make a whole series of these. A series in which the box keeps getting passed off from one person to the other. Have you ever seen the Twilight Zone episode called 'Button, Button'? This reminds me of that.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Craig! I don't recall that episode, but I'll look into it. Doing a series would b.. read more
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Yes, I've already read 'Robert's Journal'. That's actually what gave me the idea for you to do a se.. read more
I'll be f****** if i'm opening a mystery box ever again!Nice write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks Bob!

-CW
curiousity is human nature most especially when it comes to doing the forbidden. great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
A Twilight Zoney kind of story; excellent!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Michael!

-CW
I like the story. Minor corrections: deer = dear; uninstall = utensil and TEMTATION = TEMPTATION. Cody, your writing is fantastic, a good proofread would do your work its proper justice.

















Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot KL!

-CW
Human curiosity is the most fatal. An interesting story and even more interesting concept of her rapid aging. The suspense was lacking for me, but it kept my interest. Good job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Zack. I have a prequel on here that covers how the box was discovered and what ha.. read more
It was a box full of Crystal meth

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Interesting story! Reminds me of something I once read by Lovecraft!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading John!

-CW

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1543 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 10 Libraries
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on November 21, 2013
Tags: horror, science fiction, fiction, gothic, literature, short story, package, letter, right, wrong, sins

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blood world Blood world

A Poem by MOON


fear fear

A Poem by Nebunova