"I Know What You Need"

"I Know What You Need"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

After Dan finds out the horrible truth about his marriage, his friend Chris "knows what he needs". But it has purely terrifying results.

"

“I Know What You Need”

By Cody Williams

 

1.

            Dan placed both hands over his face and let out a deep sigh. He uncovered his face and looked down at his golden wristwatch. 12:03 the watch read as he let out a moan of despair. Dan looked back down to the empty shot glass that was sitting on the bar in front of him. He just looked at it wondering where the whiskey that was once inside of it has gone. The truth is he knew deep down that he had already drank the whiskey, but he couldn’t really remember it. It was a blur.

            Dan looked down the bar to the bar tender and motioned for him to come towards him. The bar tender placed a hand towel over his right shoulder and walked over towards him.

            “How can I help you Mr. Richards?” The bar tender said with a British accent. The man’s head was bald and clean shaved. He was just slightly overweight and was wearing a tuition that was hugging his body. Dan closed his eyes for a moment trying to remember if he had spoken to the man before. He just couldn’t remember. He opened his eyes back up and gave the man another smile.

            “Another shot my good man!” Dan requested. The man smiled at him and nodded in agreement.

            “You mean another bottle right?” The bartender asked him and he turned his back to Dan and grabbed a bottle of Jack from shelf across from him. Dan looked at him strangely for a moment.

            “What do you mean another bottle?” Dan asked him.

            “Why, you have already been through two! This will be your third Mr. Richards.” The bartender informed him. Dan closed his eyes but could not remember drinking them. He opened them back up and smiled at the bartender who placed the bottle of Jack next to his empty shot glass.

            “Forgive me, but I can’t remember asking before. What is your name my good man?” Dan asked him. The bar tender smiled and glared back at him.

            “Grady sir! John Grady!” The man told him. Dan smiled and opened the bottle and then poured the shot glass full. He slammed the bottle of Jack back down on the surface of the bar and picked of the shot glass. Dan drank the whiskey and slammed the shot glass back down on the counter. He made a strange facial expression of sickness followed by that of pure satisfaction. He smiled, satisfied. But then the same feeling of sadness and despair came back and he covered his face and looked down at the black counter top of the bar.

            “Hey Danny! Why the long face?” Chris, Dan’s best friend said as he walked by and patted him on the back.

            “Nothing!” Dan said angrily. He poured some more whiskey into the shot glass and drank it.

            “Come on man! Is it Linda?” Dan rolled his eyes and sighed.

            “No!” He said rather quickly. Chris could tell that he was lying.

            “It’s okay man! It’s very understandable!” Chris said as he sat down in the bar stool beside of him. Dan sighed again and took another shot of Jack as his eyes started to tear up.

            “I mean, I gave her 7 years! 7 years of marriage! I thought we were happy!” Dan said getting emotional.

            “Then she cheated on you.” Chris said. Dan nodded and placed his head down on the counter top of the bar.

            “Come on man! Everything’s going to be all right! Just let that b***h out of your mind!” Chris said. Dan raised his head from the counter and looked at him in the eye.

            “I don’t know if I can!” Dan and Chris sat in silence for a few moments. Chris reached over and grabbed Dan by the shoulder leaning in close to him.

            “Come with me! I know what you need!” Chris whispered into Dan’s ear. Dan wiped his eyes and the two stood from their bar stools. Chris reached into his pocket pulling out a one hundred dollar bill and slid it over to Grady. “It’s on me!” Chris said. He motioned for Dan to follow him and the two men walked out of the living room into a hallway.

            “Where are we going?” Dan asked as he followed Chris down the hallway to the door at the end of it.

            “In here!” Chris said as he turned the doorknob opening the door. The door swung open revealing Chris’ home office. Chris reached over to the light switch beside of the doorway and flipped it up turning on the lights. He walked over to his desk, sat down and propped his feet up on it. “Come on his and have a seat!” Chris said as he pointed to the two wooden chairs on the other side of his desk. Dan walked in and sat down as Chris reached into the top left hand drawer and pulled out a plastic black case.

            “What’s that?” Dan asked interested.

            “Just a little something to make you feel better.” Chris assured him. He flipped up the black plastic latch on the side of the box that held it shut and opened it. Inside of the box were twenty little paper joints that were hand rolled. Chris put the box down on the desk and pulled one out. He reached back into the drawer and pulled out a red disposable cigarette lighter.

            “Weed?” Dan asked surprised and somewhat hesitant. Chris just sat there, smiled, and shook his head.

            “This is not just a measly drug Danny! It’s something far better! Something that will make you forgets all about your damn soon to be ex-wife.” Dan looked at him still with a shocked expression. Dan’s never done weed. He was an alcoholic, not a druggie. He took pride in that. He may have drunk like a fish, but he never did drugs like that. They just weren’t as satisfying as that cold can Bud in his hand or a strong shot of tequila that he would often rest on his left tit while being slouched down in his recliner in front of the TV. But at this point her didn’t really care. Dan wanted anything and everything that could get his mind off of Linda.

            Dan reached down to the box and pulled out a joint and put it up to his nose and sniffed it. It smelt weird. It did smell like joints that his older brother used to try getting him to smoke. No, it smelt very different.

            “Where did you get these?” Dan asked before placing it between his lips.

            “It’s a funny story actually. One night while I was walked down an ally as a short cut to my way home I heard a woman calling out from the darkness. He stepped out into the light of a streetlight and motioned for me to come forward. I did and she pulled out the box.

            ‘Are you lost son?’ She asked me. I could still smell the odor of her rotting body. She was old. I mean real old. She had to be at least 102 years old. The old woman was short and fat. Her lightly brown colored skin sagged and her breasts drooped almost down to her stomach. Her eyes were glazed over as if she had severe cataracts. She was wearing something like you would see a gypsy wear. Maybe that’s what she was. She had to be something magical in order to give the wonderful gift.” Chris said as he gently patted the black box. He put his feet down from the desk and sat up leaning in closer to Dan.

            “I told her that I wasn’t lost, but she didn’t believe me. She continued to bother me before she finally got me to buy the joints. At first, I didn’t think much of them, but then I smoked on. Don’t ask me why. I guess I just felt like I needed to. The old b***h did say that these were not just weed. She told me that they were some sort of special weed that can make you feel how no other drug can. I dismissed it as bullshit…at first. Then I tried one. Call it curiosity if you must call it anything.” Chris continued. He grabbed the lighter and held it up to the end of the joint that was in Dan’s mouth. Dan, surprised by this, coughed in took in a long inhale of the smoke. He exhaled. Chris was right. He did feel better. It was as if he was baptized and all of his troubles and worries were washed away. For the first time since he walked in on his wife and her new lover, he was happy.

 

2.

            Dan woke up in for the first time in weeks calmly and with no tears in his eyes.

            “Chris?” He called out with a dazed look in his eyes. The truth was, he felt great. The best he had felt in years. He sat up in his chair and looked around. Chris was nowhere to be seen. He looked at the black box that was once full of joints but only contained one.

            “I guess we almost went through the damn box didn’t we Chris?” He asked beginning to laugh. There was still no answer. He sat there for a moment and just tried to remember why he was so upset. He couldn’t. Did he care? He decided he didn’t. He sat there in silence before he began to hear a strange noise. He stood up from the wooden chair caught himself on the desk after feeling dizzy. Dan shook it off and walked over very slowly to the other said of the desk. What he saw was enough to bring him out of this dreamy state imminently. It was Chris. As best he could tell. But he was covered. Covered in marijuana plants.

            They look like they just sprouted from his skin and had been growing for months. Chris looked very poufy now. And much larger than before. His hands looked like they could easily wrap around Dan’s neck and choke him to death.

The thing that used to be his friend Chris stood up slowly and began to make his way over to Dan. His eyes were like a red laser beam shooting out of a pitch-black room.

Dan backed away quickly and the creature followed with his arms sticking out like a zombie. But he wasn’t a zombie. Not a normal one anyway. But he did move slowly like one. He wasn’t really human either. Dan knew this. The words he tried to speech came out were grunts like something that would come out of the Frankenstein monster’s mouth.

            Dan continued to quickly back his way from the creature until his back hit Chris’ gun case. Chris was a hunter. He had a massive gun collection. Dan got an idea. He pulled back his right arm and forced his fist through the glass of the gun case. He reached into it and pulled out a 12 gage shot gun and then reached down at the bottom of the case to pull out the shells. He loaded the shotgun and pointed at the thing out of instinct. Dan turned the safety off and pulled the trigger. The creature’s head was blown off and green blood oozed out of it.

            Dan covered his eyes in discuss and couldn’t help but wonder what the hell happened. He placed the butt of the gun on the floor and leaned it up against the gun case. He gingerly walked back to the desk and picked up the black box. He took the one joint that was left and stuck it behind his right ear and turned the box over to where the bottom was facing up.

            At the bottom of the box was a small rectangular sticker at the bottom. The sticker read in small green letters: WARNING! PRODUCT CAN BE VERY ADICTIVE! IF TAKEN TOO MANY, HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE UNUSUAL SIDEAFFECTS!

            “No kidding!” Dan said as he looked over to what used to be Chris. He threw the empty box into the trashcan beside of the desk when a crazy feeling come over him. Dan reached up behind his ear and pulled out the last joint. He knew he shouldn’t, but he needed it. He craved it. He placed it between his lips and held the lighter up to it. He took it out of his mouth and exhaled.

            “F**k it! What else do I have to live for anyway?” He said. He put the joint back into his mouth as he could hear the faint sound of an old gypsy woman somewhere laughing with enjoyment.


Copyright 2014 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=HSMC-TNJA-2YKG-IRGC" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

HSMC-TNJA-2YKG-IRGC" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2014 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
This is actually a "trunk story". What that means is that I attempted to write it a while back but put it away for various reasons. I got about two pages into this one about a year ago before finally putting it away to work on other projects. It just didn't run itself off at that time.

I went back to it recently and got about three pages in before scrapping it and putting it away again. So really, this is the third version of this story. It it completely different from the other two, but I think I finally go it right.

I hope you all like it! Reviews are always welcome! Thanks for reading!

-CW

A common alcoholic saying is: FEAR stands for Fuck Everything And Run

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yeah I liked this. A nice twist in the end. I would have ended it after the reading of the notice on the bottom.
Almost an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'
Only a minor criticism. At the beginning the use of ' Dan looked ' a few too many times for me.
Pleased you got through to the end without the use of profanities, until the last paragraph. Lose it.
A great story. More like this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW



Reviews

Yeah I liked this. A nice twist in the end. I would have ended it after the reading of the notice on the bottom.
Almost an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'
Only a minor criticism. At the beginning the use of ' Dan looked ' a few too many times for me.
Pleased you got through to the end without the use of profanities, until the last paragraph. Lose it.
A great story. More like this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Brilliant story and very well written!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Zoe!

-CW
This was an interesting story, with a cool twist, I am with Ance, I think the monster may have been a hallucination. There are typos, but your grammar is significantly better in this older, revived piece than in some of the ones I have reviewed earlier.

Speaking of which, I have posted a new story recently, and believe I have reviewed a lot more of your stories than you have of mine ;) Pay me a visit, have a read or three.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Noel! I'll go over and read a few.

-CW
A great use of metaphors ... regarding pot users. Its absolutely correct about heavy users ... eventually they become so lethargic ... nobody understands what they are talking about. Ominous ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran!

-CW
Nicely written. For some reason the first part of the story, reminded me of the bar scene in the "Shining."

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stephanie M

9 Years Ago

Is "Doctor Sleep" any good?
Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

I really like. Is it as scary as 'The Shining'? Not really, but its still pretty damn good. King tri.. read more
Stephanie M

9 Years Ago

I think I'll check it out.
I agree. This is original and very creative. It makes your reader deal with side effects of your creativity...Bravo................

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)........................
A marijuana monster! Very original :)
Loved the twist at the ending.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
awesome. Thx!
.............

Posted 9 Years Ago


Whoa!!!!!! Ok, love zombies but this wasn't a zombie.
I think he was hallucinating and blew his friends head off.

Neat little story... :)
You owe me a visit now friend.



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Ance! I'll be sure to pay that visit:)

-CW

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 13, 2014
Last Updated on June 13, 2014
Tags: horror, gothic, terror, drugs, weed, monsters, divorce, short story, literature, story, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Journey ~ The Journey ~

A Poem by s y e