Chapter 6: One Day

Chapter 6: One Day

A Chapter by Vertigo Cat1111
"

Link sets aside his past and follows his heart. All along he thought something was calling him and maybe... it wasn't just a feeling, but something that would give him what he wanted the most.

"
As Epona sped into Hyrule, with Link on her bed, he was wondering if this was a full goodbye to Ordon. Not that he'd never see them again, but just that he would only visit them as he had on his past adventures. 
But, what if he couldn't even find a way to get Midna back? He dragged himself back to Ordon, ashamed feeling awkward. They would all glare, complaining he left the village with only one swordsman to fend for himself. But... he realized that would never happen. Because he WOULD find a way, and that was that.
For the longest time, even before his first quest, he had wondered, even in the contemptness and peace... is this really what he was meant to do? Teach the children, how to ride horses, how to fish? Harvest pumpkins, herd goats everyday?
Yes, it had been safe and peaceful... but...  he didn't want contempt and peaceful anymore. He wanted Midna. So he rode forth, leaving any pain that he'd felt, that'd been between him and Ilia forever. 
Rusl knew, and probably told the others, or maybe let them figure it out for themselves and maybe it hurt them, pained them a little, but he had to do this. His last quest was about saving the people of Hyrule, and this one was about saving himself. And maybe... saving Midna again.
Not that'd he'd ever say that out loud, because she'd probably bite his head off and say SHE was the one who saved him. Which... was sort of true? Saved him from boredom and an unsatiated life.


As he burst through the trees and into Hyrule field, the wind blew in his hair and he couldn't help smiling. Hyrule. The place he'd missed so damned much. He was here, he was home.
And he was going to find Midna, and stitch his broken heart forever.
Epona seemed joyous too and threw her head around neighing in what Link guessed to be joy. He looked around a moment, unsure where to go. The hues of arriving dawn began to peek through, and the mystery of the last few Dawns was finally starting to make sense. There was a life beyond laying in bed, and herding goats, wishing a best friend back. As he didn't know where to head next, he decided, maybe where he had last seen imp Midna, and fought and defeated Ganondorf.
He sent Epona galloping east. 
It was so freeing. He was here, and the heartache of his past recently tangled and hurtful relationship with Ilia. Things were falling apart, but also being put together.
Some were being put BACK together. 
Yet, somehow, as Epona sped to the large field, he couldn't help feeling- KNOWING- there was something there waiting for him. A secret, a decision, he could keep to himself or show the world. And somehow this wasn't fully registering in his mind, the true power of it, but he knew there was something waiting for him. But what was it?
For some reason he told himself, it was just the excitement for the adventures that were upcoming- 
But he knew somewhere, deep down, in his heart of hearts, it wasn't just that. 
There was... something more. He almost went on ignoring it and trotting along, but something in his heart told him to go find what it was NOW. There was something out there he needed. 
With a bit more pondering, he wondered why he was even trying to stay behind when there was something obviously so exciting out there. He kicked Epona with his heels, and she neighed, sprinting ahead.
This what he missed, he realized. One of the things. It took his breath away, the beauty of Hyrule, the speed Epona was going, the excitement of what was out there... It warmed him inside. And he almost felt joyful to the point of tears. But he shook it away.
All that was missing was his Midna.
Soon the sun would rise like his hope. Epona jumped off a hill, landing with her hooves making a 'thud'. She began to race in shallow water as Link directed her to Eldin Bridge. That's where his heart told him to go, where the excitement- or whatever it was- was at.
As Epona galloped into Kakariko, he had a familiar urge to go check on Renado, but he felt what was happening was more urgent. He knew Renado was safe. There was no more danger in Hyrule to speak of, unless- he felt himself chuckle a bit- Barnes was practicing using bombs himself. Sure, he had made them, but he had really used Link to empty his wallet and test them.
At the time, it was a bit irritating to Link, even if he snuck off and kept them, but now, it made him smile, hoping he'd make more memories like that. So, Epona swerved to the shortcut trail to Eldin field.
As Epona trotted in, slowing down, he noticed how strong Eldin bridge stood. It seemed as if it had not been walked upon or touched since years, even though the last time he had walked upon was most likely only a few months ago. Unless other people had crossed it. But the way it stood, was almost... eerie. Epona seemed to take notice to because she stopped entirely
Link reassured her by petting her mane gently, and suddenly, she ran forward, speeding up. The green hero was confused for a moment but smiled as the wind blew in his face. 
Epona trotted around on the grassy terrain of Eldin field. Link turned his head to the recently fixed Hyrule Castle, and he imagined a lonely wolf sitting, howling to an empty sky. While reminiscing, something caught his eye. Something grey... familiar...
It faintly glowed blue for a moment, as the rain began to drip from the clouds. Link stopped Epona, as she raced around the edge of Hyrule, and for a moment, over the rain, he heard the strange whining/whistling noise...
He squinted, and keeping his eyes on it, he urged Epona forward, slowly beginning a gallop. Somewhere in his mind, as he flicked his wrists holding on to Epona's reins, he knew what it was. His breath caught as he fully recognized it.
He stopped Epona a few feet away, and he slid off of her. 
Cautiously walking towards it, he saw it glow blue again, with a faint whistle. The melody of love and hope.
It was Midna's mask.
He felt his breath stuck in his throat, as his stomach jumped. Could it REALLY be? And how had he forgotten? A piece of Midna? A REAL piece? Looking at it closer now, he noticed a large chunk of the right top was missing, thanks to (he remembered) - Ganondorf crushing her mask as a taunt, after Midna had sacrificed herself. He puffed a breath out, feeling the familiar rage take hold, and he forced himself to let go of it. 
Suddenly, again it shone blue and shook a bit, and he stepped back, as it was his first time noticing it shook. Or, maybe it was the first time it did so since it seemed to suddenly get very loud now that he was close...
But that didn't make sense with how far he'd been from it a few days ago... Maybe it'd been calling him, and now that he was here...
That whistling noise had to be it, right?
Well, what did he do?
It seems, now he would have a piece of her, while he was looking for her. But something told him something stranger was going on.
There was something obviously more.
Suddenly, lightning struck off a foot from the mask, and he gasped and jumped back. Luckily it didn't get him, but lightning striking from much further away made him lookup. It appeared to be in the Gerudo Desert. The mask at the same time shook and glowed brightly, it's shaking almost violent.
Did... did it want to go to the desert? Or... Was that where it belonged? Revelations unfolding within his mind, he scooped it up, and carried it under his arm, somewhat afraid the lighting would strike again. But that was the least of his thoughts. 
He climbed back on Epona's back, and he flicked his wrists for the horse to gallop. He placed it between his chest and Epona's neck, as it's singing grew louder. In the silence of the rain, Epona let out a thundering neigh, and Link sped through, to Castle Town. 
As they arrived, the gallops of his auburn horse echoed through the waking city, reverberating through the thick stone, waking citizens up, as people watched the lone rider as he sped through the town.
The unusual clomp of hooves made people look and point, as he remained silent, but people seemed shocked, seeing as he wore a green tunic... Link, the hero. Was he going to visit Zelda? Some people excitedly guessed, imagining the romance. But as he sped straight through, people grew confused. Where was more important?
Zelda watched the intrigue from her balcony, only not noticing Link.
He paid no mind to the chattering as he left the city, also ignoring all of the nostalgia. He pushed through, and everyone backed up. Midna was the only thing on his mind then.
Was this mask the key to finding his old and closest friend? It was strange that in such a short span of time (A near year compared to seventeen years) Link became closer friend to Midna then Ilia. What was that exactly? What did it mean? Was it just the greatness of adventure? He wondered.
People were confused and quietly chattering as he left, making no business with no one, something strange on his lap, in a hurry...
He paid no mind to the grandness of the city or the beauty of the newly changed Castle behind him. Not even the gorgeous breathtaking nautical twilight took his eyes from his destination. His mind was set.
He stared intensely ahead to the land he had crossed many times. Or, at least if anyone had seen him then, that's what they'd think. He was truly just thinking of finding Midna once again.
The glimmers of the coming Dawn surrounding the world made him hurry to Lanaryu...
As night turned to dawn, the wind began to roar faster, as before he left the vicinity of Castle Town completely, he glanced at the big hole in the ground that fell to Lake Hylia...
Wouldn't that be the quickest way? Yes, possibly the scariest way, but... he wanted to get there as fast as possible honestly. Holding on tight to Midna's mask, because he willed it not to fall, as HE fell. He looked down upon the ocean, and his stomach dropped. He'd only done this two or three times, but it seemed scarier every time, though he wasn't sure why. If only he had the courage to jump down it...
Well, for Midna, he knew he could.
He led Epona by her reins to a bit of a safer spot, he went back to staring down into the slow-moving river, but the rushing waterfall. He took a deep breath, heart-pounding, and he gripped onto Midna's mask, harder than his own sanity.
WHAT was he doing?
He took a deep breath before hitting the water, in one of the most exhilarating moments of his life. Sure, he'd done it once or twice before, but this time... There wasn't much time to prepare, and there was already excitement in what he was doing. And then, all of a sudden, Link was no longer falling. He was unable to find air, choked. He couldn't breathe, his lungs stopped by a transparent force. 
The hero jerked around, panicking and trying to find air, but the rough stone his fingers were still tight around comforted him. He glanced quickly at it in surprise as it shook and shone underwater, whistling muffled.
Finally, he swallowed air, coughing of droplets of water, choking slightly. But, he hurried and gripped onto solid earth, not caring how hard he was wheezing. He began to run towards Fyer's cannon, passing his own, still holding his precious burden, the world a blur behind him. 
His boots echoed against the world on the wooden bridge.
"Link! I have NOT seen you in a long time! Y'know-" 
Link smacked some rupees in his hand, probably overpaying him, but the closer he got to the shattered Mirror of Twilight the faster he wanted to get to it.
"Uh... okay. Hey, what d'you have there" Fyer asked, staring at the mask Link was holding in curiosity. Link frowned eyes wide. "Uh, to the desert please," Link grunted.
"Alrighty," the tubby middle-aged man said, stepping aside. "Young people," he growled, rolling his beady brown eyes. With that, Link nodded in thanks and walked in as the sun began to almost peak over the horizon.
Link took a deep breath in the darkroom of the cannon, anxiety going over as a fresh wave in his chest, always hating to become a human cannonball.
As the music started the mask that he was holding so tightly onto shone and sang once again as if excited, then suddenly, he was launched in the air, gasping.
He tried to keep still, as strangely, he was always afraid of plummeting down into the water.
Finally, the scenery changed, and he plummeted down into the sand, knees, and boots making an indent in the sand. He breathed a sigh of relief grippening his tight on the helmet, as it shook.
Instead of water, there was now sand, and little pebbles, rolling across the dunes. Though it was an entirely different area, the rain still splattered against the rocks and sand, still greeting Link. It was humid up here, but he figured it was raining because fall and winter were approaching...
He felt a bit of sweat from the humidity and running so fast, dotting his cheeks and forehead, as the strong winds blew over him, and the sun finally began to rise, shining through the dark gray clouds. He tried to catch his breath, as he stared at the Mirror Chamber, but he gasped as the mask shook, shone and sang so violently he almost dropped it. It was a song... The one- he suddenly realized- of which Midna hummed before disappearing. 
Lighting struck nearby as he wondered... just what exactly WOULD happen?
As tired as she was, he jumped off the high sandy hill, he continued on across the sands. He was quite a long-distance away. He remembered running to Midna like this, months ago, in desperation, as he thought he'd never see her again.
And so he had to go.
The rain grew stronger, and he was vaguely worried somewhere in his mind that lighting would hit him. He jumped off a small, tight gorge, ignoring pesky enemies.
Nothing would obstruct his path.
Suddenly, he tripped over something large and heavy. He rolled past it, and dropped Midna's mask. Usually, he would keep going, but something about what he tripped over- he realized as he caught his breath- seemed to be man-made.
He looked over his shoulder back at it, and he was right. It was a treasure chest he had not noticed. He went to open it, a bit wary, thinking he had opened all chests in this area. As he opened it, he spotted... A crossbow?
He wrapped in fingers around it, confused. He wiped some sweat from his face. Well, might as well take it. You never know. He ran ahead once again, grabbing Midna's mask that was laying on the floor as he went ahead. 
Nothing could get in his way, he realized, determination filling his face.
Then the ground began to shake.
Link stopped, staring up in shock. What...was that? He wondered as the wind began to grow, flowing wildly. He began to recognize it as the monsters head rose out of the ground, growling angrily.
Stallord.
Well, crap.
He stared at it in fear, wondering what to do, as it rose out of the ground. And how was the cursed thing still even ALIVE!?
He had an idea so Midna's mask wasn't destroyed. He hurriedly dug a hole into the ground with his gloved hands, and threw her mask in there, throwing all the dirt back into the spot, so her mask was hidden. As he turned back around Stallord was already risen out of the ground, and was about to swipe at Link, and he barely dodged it, gasping at the closeness of his death. 
What... How? How had it possibly come back? What... And what the hell was it doing here? How did it even travel? As he wiped at some sweat at his hairline, he remembered his crossbow, and suddenly wondered... What if...?
He began to clumsily fumble for it, but when he pulled it out, the monster's sharp fingertips nearly collided into his body, if he hadn't ducked fast enough.
Well, he hadn't merely ducked... He had to face plant into the sand. But he recovered quickly, standing back up, and wiping the grains from his face. He had to wipe them twice though because he thought he saw something... on the skeleton demon's hands and forehead. Red marks... What were they from?
But, he couldn't help feeling, in the heat of the battle, that hadn't really even started yet, they were weak points. He'd been in enough dungeons to spot them when he saw them. 
Link began to positon his crossbow, struggling a little bit, for it was heavier than his regular bow, and he shot possibly too soon.
He watched as the arrow flew towards the skeleton, and bounced off his bony hand and Link cursed under his breath.
 He pulled out his regular bow and fired an arrow, and he held his breath as it hit the beast's hand, hitting directly into the red dot, but it seemed to do nothing, besides, anger the monster. 
It roared angrily at Link and swiped a hand. Link ducked down to dodge once again, but this time, he partially faced the wrath of the monster's claws, as it scratched into his back, ripping a tear, and he immediately felt the blood begin to well up.
The green hero began to grow furious. What was this? It was trying to keep him from Midna, by just playing with him like a toy. He picked up the crossbow, which no longer felt heavy, in his fury, and fired, hitting the skeletal monster in the head, directly at the red dot. It threw it's head back for a moment, then looked back down at Link with it's angry, red beady eyes, and roared, blowing like the wind in Link's face.
Well, with how the storm was going, he didn't know WHAT was wind anymore.
But, anyway, it seemed to be plenty more effective than his regular crossbow, and he felt more confidence well up. Nothing would stop him from getting to the Mirror. Nothing. He shot another hand that seemed about to shoot a yellow ball out of its finger. It had. His blue eyes widened, as it began to rain now, and he dodged it, as the other hand was defeated. He smiled. One more hand to go. Suddenly, the hand reached out to slap him, he gasped, and instinctively, he shot it with the crossbow, but gritted his teeth, awaiting the pain, but the creature began to sink in the sand, roaring in anger, it's voice shaking across the dunes. 
Link laughed triumphantly, but then the explosion of sand began to become too much, the floor rippling, and he was nearly thrown back, but he began to run around the explosion of sand. 
Extremely out of breath, he ran past where he had once met the white wolf. Past where he had fought King Bulbin, it all passing in a blur. His sides heaved and hurt as he jumped over the broken staircases, hope rising in his heart. His mouth was dry, but the mask shook and shone. 
Finally, like it was ALL nothing, he slid across the floor as the mask let out a loud confirming hum, different this time, somehow.
He slowly got up on his feet, shaking. The rain, wind, and mask stopped. Only the lighting and thunder continued. He took a deep breath, wondering if this was all insane. He stepped forward. Suddenly, like a flash, lighting struck the mask. 
He yelped, flying back. Link tried to catch his breath, wondering if the bolt had struck him,  but he felt nothing. Link tried to catch his breath, panting as he pushed himself up. The mask was glowing and suddenly, as if in reverse... The Mirror was... coming back together?
Like he'd wanted...
Like he'd dreamed...
Tiny, tiny shards flew up, the remains that had scattered over the world, and they drew closer as if the mask was in control. Suddenly, they all snapped together, such tiny pieces refixing the Mirror as Link watched in wonder. The pieces now hummed the rhythm with the mask.
They all flew gently into the Mirror, snapping it, and it glittered. It turned on with a heavenly light, and Link stared in awe as a figure he'd missed so much appeared at the top of the stairs.


© 2020 Vertigo Cat1111


Author's Note

Vertigo Cat1111
So, Twilight Princess is a thing. But, have you ever heard of the small spin-off game that Nintendo made afterward? Link's Crossbow Training! If you knew that, you are as obsessed with Twilight Princess as much as me. Also, all things Zelda belongs to Nintendo!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on September 20, 2020
Last Updated on September 20, 2020
Tags: Link. Midna. Zelda. Twilight Pri

Legend Of Twilight: Everlasting Dawn


Author

Vertigo Cat1111
Vertigo Cat1111

About
🐱💙My biggest writing inspirations are Lorde, Gabbie Hanna, and Phoebe Bridgers. If you like any of them feel free to talk to me about it! Never be afraid to go on tangents to talk abou.. more..

Writing