Egg's Memory

Egg's Memory

A Story by ColdSpiral
"

Ever wondered where your tears go?

"

 Slipping between moments, dodging spaces; they come to gather the tears that are shed – forever flowing, somewhere – and save them from the void, to remember them. They catch the tears in tubes and bottles, seal them, catalogue them; labelled and shelved forever in their archives. For every tear there is a story, and it is the stories on which they feed, reading the tales of sadness and joy, reading of lives far truer than their own, and it sustains them. They breeze through our world like a draft, visible only in their passage; a rustle of leaves, a flutter of pages; and then are gone, back to their own place.
They can be tricked – tired of stories about onions, they appear nonetheless – the tears are irresistible. We have a story about a man named Egg, who caught one in a bucket of paint. It fawned and cowered pathetically until Egg was overcome with remorse; he let it go out of guilt. It had fled, returning only to leave a gift for his mercy – a memory, tiny and hardly significant; but one he had missed.
The memory – he never told anybody what it was of – inspired Egg, and he began to paint; beautiful flowing visions of another world flourished from his brushes. Soon, Egg’s pictures were earning enough for him to build a magnificent house, to buy all the things he had ever wanted; but Egg still cried, sometimes, still managed to shed his tears – because he never forgot where it had all come from.

© 2008 ColdSpiral


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting story. Great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kip
This made me laugh.

False tears because of the onions - Makes me think of an old Mitch Hedberg line.

"Onions make me cry, because I find the plight of the onion to be so tragic. But people think I'm just 'reacting'"

As for interpretation, I'd almost think of mother earth absorbing the tears of her children. I like the fact that it's open for interpretation.

Great job - '100'.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's very interesting, the way you mingle humility and self-expression. Also, sadness and creativity. Those come out as themes in your writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

ColdSpiral
ColdSpiral

Bendigo, Australia



About
I write... sometimes. Occasionally, I'll finish something. You may even get to read it. That's about all I need to say, so... more..

Writing
Ennui Ennui

A Poem by ColdSpiral


Tagliatelle Tagliatelle

A Story by ColdSpiral



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..