What He Died For

What He Died For

A Story by Daniel Atkinson
"

A divine look at how mankind is choosing to live.

"

Under the streetlights of a midnight metropolis, I cast no shadow. I’m invisible. A memory of a dream of an idea.

 

I walk from street corner to street corner as a phantom, taking in the neon signs, the clever department store ads.

 

The skyscrapers. The mega-malls.

 

So much has changed.

 

I pass strip clubs and adult movie theaters. Whorehouses cleverly disguised as day spas.

 

Palaces of infidelity.

 

In weathered apartments and tattered households everywhere, people drop my name, but nobody knows my face. Billboards quote things I’d never say. Books tell the masses my love for them is something that’s earned, rather than something that’s unconditional.

 

Everywhere I look, I see the ruined families, the carnal lust. The unraveling of morality, one thread at a time.

 

This decaying world.

 

Is this what I died for?


© 2011 Daniel Atkinson


Author's Note

Daniel Atkinson
I'm agnostic, so this isn't meant to be preachy or anything. I just think that if Jesus were to see what we've done with ourselves, it would go something like this. Inspired by the song "Jesusland" by Ben Folds.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

He died so that we can have a choice, and those that do not take the choice to follow him are left to the cruelty and the master of this world.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Father forgive them for they know not what they do. If there was no hope life would not be worth living. Good write Cole,

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"The unraveling of morality, one thread at a time."
The way you see the world and the way you can describe that world in so many ways is a brilliant talent that I wish I could experience.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good little read. Remember, there are as many views as their are eyes to take them in.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2011
Last Updated on April 5, 2011
Tags: Jesus, god, religion, modern, society, religious, sin

Author

Daniel Atkinson
Daniel Atkinson

DULUTH, GA



About
Stephen King nerd, Allen Ginsberg wannabe, lame dad. more..

Writing