Model Train

Model Train

A Poem by Cole Hayley

Model Trains


There are only two configurations possible for this model train set. The first is a complete loop, unbroken and rather uninteresting; the other is almost the same, however there is a tiny loop within the larger and a switch that gives you the chance to set the train off so it travels along the inner circle. We are spending a lot of time arguing about how we should set up the train; I think the choice is obvious, there is no difference in track length if we include the inner circle and we get the option to put the train on a different path if we feel like it. You make it clear that you fancy the single loop, I tell you that I think this setup is boring. You’re persistent, however, and if history has taught me anything it is that you are like our Father and our Father’s persistence trumps our Mother’s willingness to concede. I have my Mother’s eyes, and my Mother’s nose, and my Mother’s hair, and, regrettably, my Mother’s soft will.

       

There it is, chugging along the oval track with no opportunity to detour off its infinite loop. If it has a brain I imagine it is praying for its batteries to deplete; you know we are cruel to limit it to this one-track life? You like the reliability of it; you can count on it to go around the Christmas tree in ten seconds. If we were to include the inner circle it would have the ability to go around the tree in five seconds; you’re smart enough to know I would change the route on a whim, even this minuscule bit of uncertainty is too much for you.

       

This is the biggest difference between you and I. Forget the other 50% of our genes; we talk about alleles, sex-linked chromosomes, and how brown eyes are dominant but you managed to get our Father’s blue. Yes, we don’t look much alike but we’re different in other ways too, ways that will cause conflict between us throughout our lives. I don’t have it in my bones to live life like that train, the benefits of the routine are highly outweighed by the inherent monotony. You say that being this stir-crazy will invite discontent and unhappiness into my life, and for thirteen you are bright, Sis. I do look at the features that we share - if you smile you smile wide, and your jaw is sharp enough to cut someone, too.

       

You get up and go to the kitchen, letting the train continue its route unwatched. I see it go around a few more times and then I come to you. You are making cookies, operating fully within the knowledge that until the batteries stop working that train will continue to make its way around the tree in ten seconds. I bet you get a lot done, not having to wonder whether you should hit the switch.

© 2017 Cole Hayley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on March 16, 2017
Last Updated on March 16, 2017
Tags: short story, fiction

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing