Misconceptions of Structured Poetry

Misconceptions of Structured Poetry

A Chapter by William Liston
"

includes a few words on free verse too

"

Disclaimer: This is not meant to insult free verse poets in any way. Please read to the very end.  

 

In my time here on the cafe, I've come across many poets who prefer free verse over structured poetry. Of course, there's nothing wrong with this, but I find that such a preference is often accompanied by a few misconceptions regarding structured poetry. Thought I'd address a few:   

 

1. It Takes Away a Poet's Uniqueness  

No, it doesn't. Structured verse actually allows more uniqueness by providing a variety of options for a writer to choose from. One who has mastered a structured form can easily add his or her own unique touch. Compare the elegant words of "Woodsprite" by Richard Jenkins* to the more neurotic ones of "Mad Girl's Love Song" by Sylvia Plathboth are villanelles, but both retain a uniqueness in style and expression completely distinct from one another.   

  

2. It Causes Poets to Force Their Words To the Form  

Like any craft, skill in poetry requires practice, dedication, time, and effort. Mastery of a structured form may cause one to force their words at first, but this shouldn't keep one from composing in it. Would it make sense to quit basketball after performing poorly at the first practice? Would it make sense to quit writing if your first effort produced a not-so-desirable result? Of course not. Even writing free verse for the first time can be difficult. Structured poetry, like any craft, has difficulties that one must overcome, but that doesn't make it an unworthy pursuit.   

  

3. It's OldMost Poets Use Free Verse  

This one's somewhat true. The majority of poems composed nowadays are written in free verse. That, however, doesn't make it unimportant. Most (or perhaps all) accomplished poets of the modern age use the conventions of rhythm and meter in free verse. Walt Whitman, sometimes called the "father of free verse,"* was perfectly competent in structured forms (read "O Captain My Captain"). I doubt his free verse would have been so rhythmical if he weren't. Billy Collins, another well-known poet who typically writes in free verse, once advised poets to study the origins of poetry, claiming that it causes one to "internalize the rhythms of English verse."* Sylvia Plath also composed in structured forms. Along with the villanelle mentioned earlier, she wrote two loose interpretations of the terza rima: "Sow" and "The Pheasant."* 

  

4. Why Worry About StructureIt's the Message that Matters.  

The message does matter, but the way you convey that message is equally (if not more) important. When used properly, structured forms can enhance a poem's message. For example, in Paul Laurence Dunbar's "We Wear the Mask," the repetition (characteristic of the rondeau form) emphasizes the poem's theme of hidden emotion. Dorothy Parker's "Resume" owes much of its ironically lighthearted tone to its bouncy rhythm and rhyme. Forms such as the villanelle and kyrielle are great for emphasizing particular expressions, while forms such as the limerick and senryu are great for lighthearted verse. In short, there's a form to fit virtually any mood, tone, impact, ect. a poet is going for.

  

5. Structured Poetry Isn't Natural  

Poetry itself, whether it be free verse or structured verse, isn't natural. It isn't natural to speak in metaphor or imagery, but that doesn't make a poem any less beautiful. The beauty of any art is in how it makes unnatural modes of expression seem second nature. To master a craft is to take the craft and make it natural. Being that it's like this in every art-form, it puzzles me why anyone would use this argument against structured poetry.  

 

Author's Comment: If you choose to write in free verse because it's your preferred style, that's perfectly fine, but don't let any of the above reasons keep you from writing structured poetry, especially if you enjoy reading it. The same goes for poets who only use structured verse ... writing unstructured poetry has its benefits. Give it a try.  

 

For those who think that free verse is merely random, unorganized thoughts: It's not. Writing free verse is like playing the pianoit's easy to do, but difficult to master. Free verse offers a totally different set of challenges than structured verse: one must work to find their own form and their own rhythm and make it work to express a thought. Just as anyone can jot a few rhyming words on the page and call it a structured poem, anyone can write a few disjointed lines and call it free verse. It takes true skill to write something that gives the reader an emotional experience, no matter what style of poetry you use. 

 

"Woodspriteby Richard Jenkins: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/RichardJ/1584637/ 

 

Personally, I consider Walt Whitman one of the most musical free verse poets I've ever read … the man had a great ear for rhythm. 

 

* A link to the Billy Collins' interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9reBY7EwM


* I say "loose" interpretation because Plath uses many consonant and slant rhymes throughout.



© 2017 William Liston


Author's Note

William Liston
Something I thought I'd share ... all opinions are welcomed in the review section.
Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged.
Feel free to point out typos ... I'm sure there are some I missed.
Any more misconceptions you can think of? Tell me about them. I may add to this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your write is enlightening and I agree with every word of what you have written. As far as the soul of of the work is concerned that comes out better and beautifully in structured poetry for me. I agree with your fifth point even more.
But, for me every art work is a creation in itself with some emotion or beauty or thought. So being pro or against doesn't sound sound to me. As beings, we all are unique so I respect people's preferences equally.
I appreciate your effort for removing certain misconceptions that some have against structured work. So thank you for writing and sharing this write.
P.S. I myself love reading and writing different forms and for me, all are equally challenging and enjoyable including the free verse.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

It was a pleasure, Bala.
Thank you for reviewing and sharing your thoughts.

I .. read more
Bala Gorthi

6 Years Ago

You are welcome William.
You are right.I just realise that yes, you are right. It depends on.. read more



Reviews

I think you did a great job on this, although not many people here seem to be interested from what I can and have seen now or in the past which is unfortunate.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words.
And I agree ... it is unfortunate. Although I understand why m.. read more
Hi, William, my great poet friend and sometimes student! : )
What an excellent homily on the understanding and positive outlook on structured poetry, attitude toward poetry's endless array of forms, and poetry as a whole.
I wish everyone would read this, that we might all open our eyes and have a broader, better, and deeper acceptance of our wondrously amazing art. I hope many more will join the meaningful comments already shared by our honored sister and fellow poetesses and poets.
Thank you, too, William, for the honorable mention of my name and reference to one of my all-time fun Villanelles.
Here is 2¢ worth of my basic take on poetry forms and poetry in general:

"POETRY AND A POET … To Me!"

It is my contention that: To be a truly accomplished poetic artist, one should be able to express and deliver the essences of their poetic virtues in any form best befitting them. Just as there is no single chord or note in music that most clearly and appropriately speaks with the ultimately powerful and appropriate voice the various emotions and moments needed to breathe life into a song, there is no single form of poetry that suffices in doing it all.

Most do not realize there is no form of poetry free from the stipulations and rules that make it poetry … otherwise, it is merely something else entirely, constructed by the use of syntax, grammar, and presentation … good, bad, or otherwise.

Trick is, to become talented enough to paint word pictures, feelings, and emotions in any poetic form or style in such a way that one's skills allow them to create wondrous images that make it feel so natural it’s unnecessary to even know it’s written in a form, yet retains the correct poetic rhythm, rhyme, and/or free flow, etc; that brings poetry so enjoyably to life within the reader’s mind, heart, and soul.

Bless poets, one and all … for, we are, indeed, a special breed! ⁓ Richard : )

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

I forgot someone: emipoemi ... not sure how I left him out.
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

.....and how could you have forgotten me!!!!!
.....must still be too new to the community to .. read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

You've mentioned some amazing writers, William, and there are several more onsite who compose in str.. read more
Honestly, once I learned about poetry, I decided to write in my own way. I've seen the different ways of presenting poetry and I've done a few. Sonnet, acrostic, and using a short story for the poem. (Night of a Crimson winter, Samhain) One of the many things my mother has taught me is to write however I feel led to. I will say that there are a lot of people who think that a poem isn't a poem at all unless it is written exactly like the professionals poems. I tried that and it just didn't feel right, it didn't look or read like poetry that I knew I was capable of. I do love the main points you've explained, William. That while structured poetry helps to explain the poet's meaning thoroughly, it's okay for one to write as they please. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your review, Raven.
Glad you could find this helpful.
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

To write as one pleases indeed is what writing is all about, but form comes in many forms (....the p.. read more
Raven Moonchild

6 Years Ago

Wise words, my friend. :)
Well, this is certainly an illuminating read. The time I started writing, I didn't have a clue to the basic concepts of poetry and I was a complete novice, whether in terms of free verse or the structured one. But trying out different things is what's interesting for me. I'd say one should keep practicing and writing in different style 'cause the more you learn the more you grow :)

I've heard all these misconceptions too, and I think in terms of what you say that one has to force words in structured poetry, I partially agree. When I started first with structured one, actually Kyrielle, I found it difficult too but I'd say it was merely from lack of experience/exposure and it did get get better with time...

Thank you for sharing this write, William, and the links.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your experience, Yumna.

I *think the kyrielle was my first trad.. read more
Dr. YumnaKay

6 Years Ago

Well, to say the least, I would say you are beyond your age in terms of writing poetry, William. And.. read more
I actually started writing when I was fifteen and actually began by writing songs. This eventually evolved into poetry. Since I love the structured and metered verses, when I write it's like I'm composing a song. There's a melody and a flow, and the form is as important as the content. For me, it's double the challenge, like putting puzzle pieces together. I've written free verse sparingly, in more of a conversational way with myself, like therapy if you will. For me, it is like psychology, when I'm trying to sort out my thoughts or akin to having a direct conversation with someone. It's rare for me to think in free verse; but when I have, I have been very pleased with the outcome. Most often, it's automatic for me to think in a metered and rhymed way. Two great lines can automatically come to me, from which I will begin writing. As if often happens though, what I wind up with is completely different from what I started with; and if the flow isn't precise, I'll rewrite. Each line is like a song; and as I write, I go back and read each line from the beginning. If the musicality isn't the same, I have to fix it.

I love when I read Bryon, Shelley, Keats, Lawrence, Browning, Swinburne, Baudelaire. They are truly like music to my ears, my heart, my soul.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing that.
I started writing at the age of 13. I always rhymed, but I discov.. read more
I personally enjoy writing free verse poetry myself, but enjoy reading structured poetry more. I have tried multiple times to write in a structured way and have only succeeded once (in the eighth grade). I admire anyone who who can write structured poetry, as I have the most difficulty with it.
I've never had any of these misconceptions myself but have heard many of them. Especially, the 'It's the message that matter' and 'it's old-fashioned' ones. I tend to lean more told old-fashioned styles anyway and I believe that by using structure in your poem, you're putting in more effort and therefore emphasizing the message by your devotion to the piece. You have inspired me to write more structured poems in the future.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Quinn.
As is reflected in my poetry, I also prefer struct.. read more
Firstly I thank you for writing this as it was so enlightening to read. My poetry consists of free verse structure and sometimes I felt I simply write my emotions out and maybe it isn't worth mentioning as a quality poetry but when I read the last few paragraphs I was encouraged. Thank you so much for sharing this piece of work... :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I'm glad I could offer some encouragement.
Najam Us Saher

6 Years Ago

You are welcome. :)
I SIMPLY COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!! This is spot on! I would recommend reading the book/essay entitled "On Poetry" by Glyn Maxwell, which talks heavily about how to go about writing good poetry. For the note about going back to the classics is exactly the way to go! Without knowledge of the classics, we're essentially writing prose (in Free Verse), and without knowledge of the classics, our [structured poems] risk falling flat. This is a wondrous essay that I endorse wholeheartedly (for it is more and essay than a story....I wonder why they don't have an option for essays....). Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Liston

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. I'll check out that book/essay you mentioned ... never heard of it be.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1430 Views
18 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 21, 2017
Last Updated on September 22, 2017
Tags: writing, essay, poetry


Author

William Liston
William Liston

About
Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code I'm an amateur poet who's been writing for about three and a half years. Some of my influences include Edgar Alla.. more..

Writing