Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Jills
"

The escape

"

            I had to get out of there. There was no arguing that. Every moment that I spent here was slowly draining the life right out of me, and I could no longer bear it.


            The whole house was supposed to be slumbering at this time of night. Making my way to the door and placing my hand carefully on the knob, I twisted it and hoped that the door would be silent as I opened it so I could make my way into the dark halls. Luckily as I swung it in towards me it didn’t make so much as a whisper of a sound. So far so good.


            We were trained to be able to walk without making a sound, so there was no worry about being noisy as I slunk along with the shadows of the house. As I passed by the final room, mentally I let out a sigh of relief that no one was awake except for me.


            Hurriedly, I flew down the stairs and made my way across the marble floor that led to the wooden front door. Before I could head outside, I quickly punched in the code that would disarm the alarm system. Once I was outside, I used the pad next to the door to reactivate the alarm system once again. I wasn’t completely heartless.


            This was the point where things would become tricky. Reaching into my small duffel bag that was slung around my shoulders, I pulled out two smoke bombs. Carefully I lit one before crouching close to the ground and rolling it down the driveway as the smoke billowed out of the bomb, creating a thin smoke screen.


            The smoke served its purpose as I could make out the lines where the alarm lasers were so I would know where to step to avoid waking up the whole house.


            I couldn’t use my ability, not now. Doing that would be worse than stepping through a laser and setting off the alarm. The alarm was only a sound and would take them a few moments before they could fully understand what was happening. But if I were to do that, they would know immediately and there would be no escaping. Doing that would have to wait until I was on the other side of the reinforced wall surrounding the estate.


            Using my flexibility, I was able to step over and under and curve my body so that I didn’t touch a single laser beam. It only took maybe five minutes or so to make it past the lasers that covered most of the yard.


            Turning around, I stole a glance at the only house I’d known while I’d been alive. The bricks were fading from the sun and other of nature’s necessities. Although on the outside it looked as if it were centuries old, the inside was a complete opposite. It was made to look inconspicuous, but with the fifty foot steel wall built around it, the hopes of being inconspicuous were dashed.


            It wasn’t hard turning my back on the house after all I’ve been through. Being used as a lab rat every single day was wearing thin. It was a wonder how those who have been there longer than I had been able to put up with it. They’d tell me that it was their duty to continue on. Duty or no duty, I could not stay there a moment more than necessary.


            Walking over to the wall, I glided my hands over the surface, feeling for the spot that I was looking for. There were many a night where the elders would sneak out to have some fun, and so they had one of their friends put a spell on a section of the wall so that you would be able to walk through the wall per se, as how people believed ghosts to do.


            I let out a grin as I felt my hand start to seep into the wall. Quickly, I ducked through the wall which was at least a foot thick. It wasn’t until I was staring out at the vast forest in front of me that I let out an audible sigh of relief


            Using what little energy that I had left, I shifted. Picturing in my mind what exactly I wanted to shift into as my body began to shrink.


            Where once my arms were, the shrunk and black glistening feathers started to sprout and cover my wings, as well the lower half of my body. What used to be my legs transformed into large yellow talons. The feathers on my head were pure white as the clouds in the sky.


            I had taken the shape of a bald eagle. Stretching out my wings, I made a few test flaps before taking off into the night, letting out a piercing cry as I did so.


            There was no doubt that they now knew that I was no longer in the house. I had to get away as quickly as possible. Soon there would be a hunt for me. There was no turning back.


 



© 2010 Jills


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this prologue, it's an amazing start to your story and it's gripping.
You're writing is good and flows easierly. You also use imagery good in your story, not to much and not to little.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 3, 2010
Last Updated on May 3, 2010


Author

Jills
Jills

Newbury, OH



About
The name is Jilleen E. Quigley, but I prefer to go by Jill, it's a lot shorter, dont ya think? The age I am is 20 years, but don't let that fool you. I can be rampant as as 15 year old, or just as wi.. more..

Writing
Broken Promises Broken Promises

A Story by Jills


Musical Drug Musical Drug

A Poem by Jills


I Wish I Could I Wish I Could

A Poem by Jills