Pieces of me

Pieces of me

A Poem by StephT
"

**No idea how to categorize this** I sat down to write something called 'New Beginning', but this is what came out.

"
I am scattered in pieces across the floor.

Right there at the door is my motivation. I pick it up each day when I leave for work. It tumbles from my grasp when I return. Dented, dirty, it lays there. I'm too drained to retrieve it.

There, under the window is my joy. I let it sit in the sun, hoping that when we reunite it will warm me up again. Sometimes my cat will bring it back to me. It's scratched and stretched and hard to hold, but she drops it at my feet. We play, because I don't have the heart to deny her.

My heart, that's in the library. When it's with me, it's heavy. Full of the people I love, those I'm afraid to disappoint. Full of hurts and pains I can't shake. It's too hard to lift. So I leave it nestled among guardians. Funny thing, it's never where I left it. Without me it seems to float lightly between pages and bindings. So maybe it's me.

My excitement twinkles in the kitchen, rolls around with the spark of my curiosity, meets up with the small candle of my bravery. They wait for me, for when I pick them up hold them close and toss them into cookies and cakes. They wait, dusted in flour and hard to catch.

Fear and exhaustion, they cling. Shaped like burrs and hard to see, they crowd near my bed. When I set my feet down, they're with me again. Dug in deep and so hard to wash or sleep away.

All the little pieces of me, scattered and broken. All my bits, the good and bad, the shining beauty and messy flaws. They lay all around and wait to be put back together. Jagged edges that don't match up, pointy pieces that cut and slice the softer ones. There's no glue. I can't keep them together for long.

I'm here.

I'm here, I promise.

I'm here and I'm trying.

I'm here.

I'm just also over there and can't reach myself.

© 2016 StephT


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Strangely visual, which is remarkable and graceful. Very interesting :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


There is some incredible imagery kind of drowning in too many words. I suspect you would be great at flash fiction or short story

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2016
Last Updated on January 11, 2016

Author

StephT
StephT

OH



About
Just a girl. =) Just looking for a clean spot to keep my writing. Taking part in the 52 stories/52 weeks challenge and I want it all in one spot. Stories aren't necessarily my forte though more..

Writing
Obstacle Obstacle

A Story by StephT