Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by CompellingComposer

Jayson:

    The sunlight pried through my closed eyelids. I shifted in my sheets, turning away from the window. I wasn’t ready to wake up just yet. I had been deprived of sleep the night before and was now exhausted. The heat from the hot sun beat resistantly on my back, urging me to get up. I gave up, threw the blankets off me, and sat at the edge of my bed, rubbing my eyes. I stood up too suddenly, grew light headed, and fell backwards onto my bed. I wasn’t ready to face today, but I knew I had to. I sighed and got back up, slower and more careful this time. I scuffed my feet against the floor and walked down the stairs, two steps at a time. Once I reached the bottom step, I sat down and rested my head against the railing.

    I heard footsteps headed my way and looked up to find Laura, in a bed robe and her red hair a tangled mess, standing in front of me. She was holding a sea-green mug with steam rising from it.

    “ Good morning, sleepy head. Want some coffee?” she asked, her voice annoyingly cheery.

    “ Yeah,” I said with a yawn. She smiled and walked towards the kitchen to get me breakfast. I closed my eyes, uncomfortable, but not complaining. Not much later Laura returned with a plate of toast and bacon and a white mug of coffee. As I took the meal from her, she sat down beside me.

    “ I’m so glad we cleared up everything between us,” she said, still grinning as I took a bite of toast and a sip from my cup. “ I love you,” she said dreamily.

    I turned to look into her deep brown eyes. “ I love you too,” I responded. She gave me a kiss on the cheek and left, leaving me with my food. I wasn’t really hungry, I just wanted to go back to bed. I had been feeling sluggish lately but I couldn’t let that slow me down. I put the plate next to me where Laura had been and placed both of my hands on the railing near my head.

    It had been five months since the zombie apocalypse arrived. Five long, difficult months full of nothing but hard work. When we arrived to the town of Pinewood, we stayed, not ready to venture much further. Still, there was the issue of zombies that had infested the town and we had to fight them off. We had won, obviously, had claimed the town as our own. We all took home wherever we pleased. Laura and I shared a house together, Vincent and Rachel were currently have a thing for each other, so they were living together, William, Seth, and Matilda were living together, (even though Matilda broke up with Seth, they are still friends), and Caroline and Nathan were together.

    I clenched my fists at the thought of Nathan. Nathan King, current boyfriend to the girl I still loved, Caroline Thompson. I started to shake of anger. What I wouldn’t give to kill him so Carrie could be mine. I thought of him, the image of him eerily vivid in my mind. I grew so mad that the railings I was clenching snapped in half. I sighed and dropped the pieces on the floor. I cuffed my head in my hands. I couldn’t kill Nathan. I loved Carrie too much to do that to her.

    “ Everything okay? I thought I heard something break,” Laura’s voice called.

    I shook my head and ran my fingers through my hair. I rested my back on the step behind me and tilted my head to look at the ceiling. I closed my eyes and took a breath to calm down.

    “ Yeah,” I said. “ Nothing is wrong. I’m going to get dressed.”

    I got up and trudged upstairs. I walked into my room and headed to my dresser. I looked in the mirror and saw someone who didn’t really look like me. My dark hair was getting too long, my eyes had faint grey circles underneath them, and my Caucasian skin was creepily pale. With these abnormalities, there was one greater than them all. I had a sickly green scar on my lower back that had been there since I got bitten. I wasn’t sure what it was but I didn’t want to draw attention to it. I didn’t tell anyone and paid it no mind. It didn’t hurt, so it was easy to forget about. I grabbed some faded blue jeans I had cut since the weather got warm and a green loose tee shirt. I threw them on my bed and fell on top of them. I closed my eyes. Today wasn’t going to be my day, nor the next day, nor the next day…


© 2011 CompellingComposer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

one word, for letters, one meaning, LOVE!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
1 Review
Added on April 5, 2011
Last Updated on April 5, 2011


Author

CompellingComposer
CompellingComposer

NC



About
My name is Megan and I have been writing poems since 4th grade and stories since 6th. I'm very, very young, as I've noticed from the ages of my fellow writers on this site. Yes, I am only 13, but writ.. more..

Writing