Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by CompellingComposer

3.

Matilda:

    I heard the footsteps before I saw who it was.

    I was sitting on the front porch steps sipping a cup of orange juice, (which tasted horrible due to the fact I had brushed my teeth not long before). I had heard a noise and looked behind me to see William, his hair wild and still in his pajamas: a white wife-beater and mesh gym shorts. He sat down beside me and didn’t say a word.

    “ Hey,” I said.

    He looked over at me. “ Hi.”

    I didn’t say anything after that. I wasn’t sure if he was in the mood to talk. So, I looked back forward. In front of the house I shared with William and Seth was Rachel’s and Vincent’s. I knew Rachel was only using Vincent to protect her so she wont get killed since no one else seemed to like her, but I didn’t care. She wasn’t my problem. Beside that house was Jayson’s and Laura’s and beside my house was Carrie’s and Nathan’s. We had all agreed it would be a smart idea if we all lived close to each other. You know, in case of an emergency or something.

    “ Harriet came to visit us last night.”

    I turned to face William.

    “ What do you mean? William, I’m sorry, but your sister has been dead for, what, five months now? I don’t think that’s possible.”

    He laughed. A sound I hadn’t heard in a while, especially from William. He had been depressed ever since his sister’s death.

    “ You’ll think I’m crazy, but I see her sometimes. We just sit around and talk as though she had never died. Ha, it’s nice,” he said with a dreamy expression on his face. I shifted slightly away from him.

    “ Yeah, you’re right, I do think you’re crazy. I’m sorry, but Harriet is gone. It’s time to move on.” I shook my head. “ Maybe you just miss her so much your mind is trying to recreate her.”

    He stood up. “ I knew you wouldn’t understand.”

    Seth stood at the door and moved to let William pass by. “ What was that all about?” he asked.

    “ Nothing, I just think William has cracked and lost it,” I said.

    “ No surprise there, I guess.”

    I looked at Seth with concern. “ You think he might be telling the truth? He said he sees his sister. That he, well, talks to her.”

    “ Who knows? This is a crazy place,” he said.

    “ Yeah, a crazy place,” I agreed. Things here were just too complicated.

    “ It’s Carrie’s birthday today, I think,” Seth said.

    “ A lot of other people have had their birthdays. How is this any different? No offense to Carrie or anything, just saying,” I said. Carrie had been my best friend, once, and I still consider her so. Still, we both knew somehow we had become two totally different people.

    “ True, but still. We should do something nice for her. She is the one who found this place first, you know. She’s an important person in our town.”

    “Well,” I said, sarcastically, “ let’s just throw her a huge party! Cause you know we have all the time in the world for that!”

    Seth patted my shoulder. “ Nice to see you in such high sprits,” he laughed as he walked back inside. “ You want anything?” he asked.

    I sighed. “ I want to go back to normal.”


© 2011 CompellingComposer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

you make these chapters really short for this book, but nice anyways! :) love you megann!

Posted 12 Years Ago


you made an error, you said: " i had brushed her teeth", dont you mean " i had just brushed my teeth"?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 1, 2011
Last Updated on September 13, 2011
Tags: chapter, three, survival, of, the, fittest, disease, dead, zombie, apocalypse, love, hate, war, death, horror, book


Author

CompellingComposer
CompellingComposer

NC



About
My name is Megan and I have been writing poems since 4th grade and stories since 6th. I'm very, very young, as I've noticed from the ages of my fellow writers on this site. Yes, I am only 13, but writ.. more..

Writing