The Tongue

The Tongue

A Story by Confuser
"

A story of Retribution, teenage years, moving on, & unexspected events...A Tongue Twisting ending...myth, based on tidbits of true events & science fiction/horror. changes.

"

 The Tongue

Written by Teresa Dale Mitchum

Copyright© 2015 All Rights Reserved

 

It was uncanny bumping into Gavin Moran in downtown Seattle.  They literally ran into each other as she was turning the corner heading for her apartment.  The day was rainy and the wet drops tickling her hands and legs felt nice.  She smiled immediately looking into his round blue eyes that seemed to light up too. It had been over ten years since she had seen him, and had to admit him an Adonis.  It was ominous that the horrid memories of him in high school didn’t seem to bother her at all.  Tessa’s face lit up with excitement, which was also odd. He asked her out to dinner and she accepted immediately.  He was in town on business for the weekend and she thought, “It would be fun to reminisce.”  Tessa left Lancaster after high school and remained in Seattle after college.  “How odd,” she thought, but then she was also ecstatic and filled with anticipation.  

______________________________________________________________________

Ten Years Earlier

The ‘situation’ with Gavin began one warm spring evening at her friend’s home, Paige.  Her boyfriend, Rodney showed up unexpectedly in his white convertible camaro. She was only 14 and Paige 16.  Paige ran inside, and her mother yelled, “Forty-five minutes, be safe!”   Paige pulled the bucket seat forward and was surprised to see Gavin Moran in the back. Tessa squeezed in and stayed to the right. She was bashful but even a short ride ‘unescorted’ made her feel grown up. 

She was surprised when the car stopped at the overlook, renowned for parking and making out.  She had never been there and felt her face warming as a pink blush spread down her body. She was leaning against the front of the camaro, and thankful Gavin suggested they go outside.  Paige and Rodney were kissing and swooning to a serenade of Bob Segers; his voice echoed Roll Me Away into the thick forest, converging with the silence of the night.  Glimmering town lights shone like large lightning bugs sparkling ceaselessly with hues of blue, white and gold that seemed to go on forever.  

Entranced by the beauty of her surroundings Tessa had forgotten about Gavin until she felt a touch upon her hand.  She tensed, but he apologized speaking softly easing her tension.  “Just ignore them; let’s enjoy the view”, swigging on a bottle of vodka.  “Aren’t you a freshman,” he asked.

 “Yes,” Tessa replied reticently.

“Looks like you and Paige have been lying in the sun, in teeny bikinis; he remarked moving a little closer.  “You know, you’re really beautiful,” smiling like a jackal. She was wearing a tank top, shorts and flip-flops, and at that moment wished for a bed-sheet. She was frozen like a statue and Gavin looked at her like she was food; like a hyena, saliva dripping ready to eat her up. His large hand squeezed tighter and then he leaned in like a vampire for the deadly kiss.  Tessa felt more nervous and stammered, “No” loudly and turned away.  She immediately opened the door and said “Let’s go.”  

Paige saw the look of fright on her face. “Rodney, take us back to my house,” Rodney didn’t skip a beat.  Tessa told Paige about Gavin and she began to cry.  Paige hugged her, “I had no idea. He’s an a*s Tessa, it will be fine,” trying to comfort her.

The next day she walked into school, little cliques of girls began to giggle, as she walked by, then more, and she heard three words she thought she would never forget. “Tessa the Tongue.” She hurried to the restroom hoping she had smeared her mascara, even a boogie hanging from her nose. She was so perplexed. 

Thankfully Paige came in looking concerned.  “Tessa, that lying a*****e Gavin has told everyone you tried to stick your tongue down his throat; that you nearly choked him.”  She began to shake all over. 

“Why would he do that?” Tessa said tearfully. 

“Because you turned his arrogant a*s down, that’s why. He’s a bigheaded egotistical s**t. Don’t worry Tessa; I’ll talk to Rodney,” Tessa still trembling, and tearful.

Unfortunately, that didn’t work and throughout her high school days, she heard “Tessa the Tongue” over and over.  Those were the darkest days of her life.  MySpace was splattered with those three words.  If butter equaled rumors, she could feed the town for years.  She was the mouse in the bucket, trapped, churning and turning.  She isolated herself and dreaded school.  One desperate desolate summer, she had given up; she wanted to die. She was so low, so depressed she felt that death was her only way out.

Alone in her back yard, she said aloud, “Please make this go away, I can’t take it anymore, crying loudly.  I wish I could strangle him.” She felt the earth shake and then she saw a split in the earth dead center her mom’s red lilies. A creature, pure white, unclothed but covered by wings appeared and hovered before her eyes.  Her body was that of a human woman, but her pale skin looked like it was painted on; its glow illuminated the entire back yard. She was completely naked, but somehow, the contrast against the dark sky concealed her body and she radiated like a vision. “Have I finally gone off the deep end,” Tessa thought.

The creature’s large deep eyes were bright, but only the ring around the iris blazed green. She was more beautiful than anything Tessa thought possible.  Her long red hair sparkled as she spoke silently. Do not be sad young one; he will bemoan his actions. You will live a joyful life. Our society is devoted to smolder abuse. Instantly Tess knew they were once human and murdered savagely by love one’s. She felt their compassion, but also a tremendous rage.  They chose retribution and vengeance instead of a heavenly paradise. Their philosophy is to render justice to those abused and in need. Tess was unafraid, peaceful, like she was under a spell.  The exquisite creature disappeared instantaneously as the fissure closed. Trust us, in a symphony of harmonic voices, as she disappeared beneath the earth. Tessa still trying to understand saw a small shiny object; it was a deep violet ring with black archaic symbols.  She placed it on her left ring finger, where it remained.  It fit perfectly.

If she was a vision, it didn’t matter, from that day on, she ignored the jeers. “Tessa theTongue,” rolled off her shoulders like a waterfall.  She never trembled again, in fact her confidence grew.

______________________________________________________________________

Dinner Date Seattle

As she prepared for her date she felt like a robot, like someone was guiding her. She bathed with Ogilvie Sisters Soap by candlelight.  Prepared her hair and makeup and opened a box of lingerie. It was elegant and very sexy; peach colored with tiny white beads. She even picked out a sexy dress, and slipped on the hose and garters; put on her four inch stilettos and out the door she went.  

She met Gavin at the Four Season hotel restaurant.  He met her at the door smiling gleefully.   “Tessa, you look so beautiful. Would you like to dine on the veranda?” he asked.  Tessa shook her head slightly downward, smiling. The spring night was lovely, a light breeze, touched her auburn hair, chills run up her long legs.   He was such a gentleman; they sipped a bottle of chardonnay and reminisced about high school. He was still single and worked for a medical firm out of Chicago. 

She couldn’t believe the words when they came out of her mouth, “How about a nightcap,” he didn’t hesitate at all.  Gavin asked for the check and soon they were in his hotel suite. She had never had a one night stand, but for some reason, she was captivated, and anticipated touching his body. 

He poured two vodka tonics, and when they looked into each other’s eyes they both knew and she pulled him by his tie into the bedroom.   She could feel something stirring deep inside, it was as if he looked too close, he would see a demon inside her.  But she couldn’t stop. “Shhhh, clothes off,” and she pointed to the bed. When he reached for the light switch she shook her head no, talking in a whisper and began slowly undressing.  First the black Chanel dress, and bit by bit she removed everything occasionally turning her head looking into his eyes.  First the garters, then the hose, watching his eyes grow larger with his manhood.  She put on quite an intoxicating show.  This was not like her at all; it was as if she was possessed. She took her time and climbed onto the bed; hands, then knees, inching closer to his face, when he began to speak, she pointed her index finger, side to side, “Shhhh,” again.  He was almost driven mad with desire, and then the kiss.

At that moment, she felt stronger than she ever had.  She held him down on the bed, securing his arms. Her tongue licked his mouth and then began to grow, and grow like Jack’s Beanstalk.  She loved it, she felt powerful.  Gavin was choking, it was strangling him; now ten feet in length growing stronger and thicker, it picked him up by the neck wrapping tightly around his body. His manhood looked like only two tiny acorns; the rest escaped inside with fear, and his eyes were paralyzed with terror. It picked him up and she heard words silently traveling to him, the same voices she heard ten years before. He shook his head in compliance.

Women are to be cherished.  What you did to Tessa was unforgivable, what you have done to all women is horrid.  You use them for pleasure.  They trusted you and you lied.   Until you understand what you have done, we are leaving you a gift. In her haze she gathered Gavin had continued to lie and treat woman without respect.  His goal was only to use them for his sexual gratification. 

______________________________________________________________________

A New Dawn

Tessa slept more peacefully that night than ever before.  She arose and laughed at the crazy dream she had about Gavin Moran. “Weird,” she thought. She showered dressed and headed for work.  On the way, she couldn’t believe her eyes, it was Gavin Moran, handcuffed, blue lights swirling.  She drove by slowly nearly in shock. “Why was his tongue sticking out?” she thought.

“You’ll learn to respect the law, you dumbass, and the tongue came out again,” the police officer said. He booked him but he continued sticking out his tongue, attempting to explain the mad story, but continually sticking out his tongue at the officers and everyone around.

© 2015 Confuser


Author's Note

Confuser
Thank you in advance for reading; probably silly, but I'm trying. Wrote quickly, will be making changes. Thank you so much! Any suggestions are appreciated. I do hope you like it. Dale

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

For me, I think that your story needs a clear goal.

I've noticed that you have edited it, but I think you need to imagine the complex feeling you are trying to create.

You have a wide variety of emotions in this story, but like fine food, it needs to be balanced (and subtle). Just a pinch of salt and chilli.

This is as much a reflection of my own writing as yours.

Let me know if this helps you.

(I really enjoyed your story.)

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dale - I thought your story was very interesting. I can readily understand why Tessa, or any woman, would love to be able to mete out the kind of retribution that befell Gavin.
Now I'm going to offer you some suggestions:
. . . . "had to admit he seemed an Adonis" ....."as she walked by she heard more and more.."
"She heard the three words".... "Why would he do that? Tessa asked tearfully. . . . "Tessa was still trembling and tearful when Paige left". . . "Our society is devoted to smothering abuse".... "poured two vodkas and tonics" . . . "manhood like two tiny acorns"

Please don't be upset with me. I'm not some freaky grammarian I just thought these changes would be helpful.



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Confuser

8 Years Ago

No Dave!!! Timing couldn't be better actually; I did an entire re-write, just haven't posted it, but.. read more
Confuser

8 Years Ago

Oh, wait.....you're second line, want to understand pull it in my (THICK) skull, ok..first, it's sci.. read more
A very imaginative and intelligent story idea! I like a good tale of retribution. I only have a couple small suggestions; take them for what they're worth.

In the very first part, it might be good to choose a less used example of male beauty than Adonis. I don't know, maybe a movie star or music idol of the time?

"Tess knew they were once human": It's not immediately obvious who "they" is, so I might use "the creatures" or whatever you choose to call them.

"And the tongue came out again": Maybe "if that tongue comes out again"?

"Hoping she had smeared her mascara..." maybe should be thinking or fearing?

One thing I must mention, your detail is great, like the brand names, like saying chardonnay instead of just wine (note to self, add a few details to my own book).

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Confuser

8 Years Ago

Jenny: You are so kind to review!!! And the wonderful suggestions: I've certainly got to take anot.. read more
Jennie Baron

8 Years Ago

Sounds like a heavy assignment you have! I completely understand, we all have busy lives these days.. read more
Confuser

8 Years Ago

You're so kind and understand Jenny! Been going since around 2:30 am, need a nap, but also go loads.. read more
This is really, really good! I really enjoyed it! The only thing is that you missed a quotation mark after "bikinis" in the sixth paragraph. Overall, I thought it was fantastic

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Confuser

8 Years Ago

Thanks Katherine: If that's all you could find wrong, it's a miracle. Usually, I put ignore gramma.. read more
Am back again ... You have a knack for dark stories, though I am willing to be that you, as person, are exactly the opposite of what you have written above ... You might consider continuing to delve into that darkness that dwells within you, retrained by a good heart ... Set it to pen where it can be enjoyed, and continue your message that evil ways do not pay ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Confuser

8 Years Ago

Thanks Marvin; got scared right away, thought it was a draft. I began an entire new beginning....an.. read more
I liked it very much, Dale. It's very descriptive and it's entertaining. For the moment, I'm reading a collection of horror and fantasy tales and your story could fit in that book of excellent short stories. Never, never say you can't write stories; this is too good to be just a one stand. Really well done. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Confuser

8 Years Ago

Thank you Rudi: Actually already been making many changes, but that's very encouraging. I truly ap.. read more
Wonderful work! I love it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You nailed it DALE.. What a flow. As a story teller you are beyond the need for praises.. Loved everything especially the ending. its quite a scene imagining someone sticking his tongue out a everyone around.. Excellent :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Having been raised old school upon the tale end of days when men were expected to treat a lady like a lady, and with utmost respect, this story carries an important message, which, honestly, has left me laughing until I thought I might cry ... You have imagined a most relevant concept for a story idea, and one, which is more merciful to your male character than he ever deserved ... A true delight to read ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow...Dale...you continue to blow me away with these stories. You are quite the storyteller. The images you create are so vivid, it is as if I was there watching the story unfold. You have the ability to draw the reader into the story - and this reader wasn't ready for it to end. My only suggestion is to keep writing and I will keep reading!

:) Julie

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

For what it's worth, I believe this write of yours has considerable promise. I read it from one end to the other and it held my attention throughout so be assured, it is most definitely readable and that is the most important thing when setting out..... I wish you well on your literary journey.... N x

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1063 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on June 9, 2015
Tags: new beginnings, bullies, payback, suicide, myth, fantasy, depression, relationships, love, abuse, angels, creatures, crusaders, horror, science fiction

Author

Confuser
Confuser

Manning, SC



About
Happily married with three wonderful children. The first poem I attempted was Paper Heart which I submitted here last year. People here have been so kind and encouraging! Their feedback and reading t.. more..

Writing
Retribution Retribution

A Story by Confuser



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..