Flag Day

Flag Day

A Stage Play by Joseph Norris
"

A little script for flag day

"

Host: The American Flag, the Stars & Stripes, Old Glory is more than a symbol of the nation. It is the embodiment individual and personal liberty set forth in the Declaration of Independence.  It represents the freedoms and rights guaranteed in the U.S.  Constitution and its Bill of Rights.  Men and woman have died to protect what it represents. The American Flag has been through all the great struggles of our nation.

Liberty: I was born in Philadelphia on June 14, 1777, the symbol of a new nation dedicated to the personal and religious liberty of mankind. I am carried into battle as a symbol of hope of what may come and the promise of what will be. I am the flag of Liberty.

Fortitude: With my 15-stars and 15-stripes I fly above Fort McHenry in defiance of aggression by a stronger nation against one newly born. While rockets shrieked past me, illuminating my colors in their fiery flight, I survived to become the mother of the national anthem.
I am the flag of Fortitude.

Self-sacrifice: Brother against brother, a nation torn asunder and thousands lay dead. I watch as a reformed union weeps for the passing of a slain leader who refused to let the 'government of the people, by the people, for the people' be undone. I am the flag of Self-sacrifice.

Courage: Millions leave their homes and families in search of a new and better life. I lit the path through treacherous waters and across burning lands for the huddled masses yarning to breathe free.  I am the flag of Courage.

Justice: Through the long decades, I wait while the cries of injustice rise for  those unable to participate in the cornerstone of great republic. Suffragettes carry me into their battle for equal rights, and I watched as victory is achieved. I am the flag Justice

Valor: Through the long struggle, I faced down dictators and despots in combat after combat. My greatest moment came early one morning on a distant island when six men hoisted me high into the sun on a simple steel pipe to be the symbol of victory not just for the  brave men fighting against tyranny, but to an entire world. I am the flag of Valor.

Vigilance: Throughout the world, aggressors struggle to bring an end to individual liberty and personal freedom. I stand at the forefront in the global battle against totalitarianism and subjugation as a symbol of hope. I am the flag of vigilance

Freedom: While thousands die on distant shores, in my own good land I am burned, dishonored, denied and refused. I embody freedom of speech, religion, and assembly. I am the flag of Freedom.

Perseverance: High in the wind was my place, until nineteen men in two planes brought me to ground. Found among the rubble by three  brave men, I am once again hoisted into the air to become the symbol of people undeterred, unwavering in their support of liberty. I am the flag of Perseverance

Innocence: Unlike my brethren, I do not wave in the breeze of a nation at war; I am not carried into battle. I stand silently, almost invisible, in the corner of every classroom, seedbed of good citizenship and true patriotism, watching the brightest hope of the future live in peace with liberty, justice, and humanity for all. I am the flag of Innocence.

Host: George Washington once said, "We take the stars from Heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white  stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing   Liberty." The flag is the sacred emblem of our country. It symbolizes our birthright, our heritage of liberty purchased with blood and sorrow. It is our title deed of freedom to live "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

© 2009 Joseph Norris


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

A powerful story. I was a Soldier for 15 years. The old flag is honor and protected by Soldiers. We are covered by the flag in death we served in life. Your words are true and strong. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

490 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 24, 2009
Last Updated on February 24, 2009

Author

Joseph Norris
Joseph Norris

Nampa, ID



About
Who am I? I am the guy standing behind you at the checkout counter when you elect to pay with all pennies, or forget your checkbook; I am driving the car that hits the beer can you tossed out your win.. more..

Writing