Chapter 1:The woman among the trees

Chapter 1:The woman among the trees

A Chapter by Courtney
"

Present day.

"

Chapter 1 : Woman among the trees ( 12 years later)

 

      Mary’s dark black eyes narrowed as she tapped her blue pin against her clip board. “Did anything happen this week?” She asked. Lithe glanced up from chipping her black nail polish.

“What do you mean, exactly?” She asked, mocking the woman’s seriousness.  “You know what I mean.”  Silence stretched out between them, as the minutes went by. The only sound being Lithe’s even breathing and the tick of the grandfather clock. The woman only wanted one thing, she didn’t care about my well being, Lithe told herself in silence. Though she knew deep down inside she was desperate to tell someone.

“Our times almost up- and you haven’t answered a single question".”

“Why should I?” Lithe cut in. “When you don’t even care?” Mary sighed, furrowing her brow. Highlighting all of the wrinkles etched into her tan skin, like play dough left out for more than an hour. “You know very well that I care, or I wouldn’t be sitting here, trying to pry  answers out of you.”  Anger flashed in her black eyes.

“No, no of course not, you’re here for the big fat check that arrives in your mail box every Friday. How much is it by the way? I’ve always wondered how much they pay shrinks to sit in a black chair all day and pretend they give a flying crap out people’s problems!’’  Lithe was breathless and appeared to be suddenly tired.

“Don’t interrogate me young lady”’ Mary ordered.

“Like you do all day? Hey where’s my pay check?” The woman stood abruptly, her black leather chair rolling back.

“Our time is up, I suggest you write down all the dreams into a journal,” Mary mumbled. “And this time let me see them.”

  “I don’t think you want to know what goes on in here.’’ Lithe pointed a stiff finger at her head.

 Mary shook her head dismissively and yanked to transparent glass door open, to deliver the message. Lithe tensed and looked look down, resuming chipping her black nail polish absently, thinking. In the back of her mind she saw them. The trees, all towering over the girl, the children, more importantly the woman. The same woman who she’d seen time and time again. “I saw her.” Lithe whispered, low enough so she wouldn’t be heard.

“How did it go? What did she say?” Emily rambled. Max reached up putting a hand on her shoulder. She stopped and looked expectantly at the therapist. Mary sighed loudly, and shook her head.

 “Lithe won’t talk, every time I ask her a question she dodges it with another question or disregards it.” Max raised his eyebrows and stroked his bare chin.

“That’s  . . . impossible.’’ He muttered. “Every night she wakes up . . .’’ he trailed off, glancing over Mary’s shoulder at Lithe with her back to them.

“She wakes up what”’ Mary asked eagerly her eyes coming to life, staring at Max. He didn’t seem to notice, his gaze still fixed on Lithe.

 “Screaming, well almost every night. But never mind that, you just sit there for an hour"doing what staring at each other?” Emily’s voice getting louder with every word, her face flushed red as her hair.  Mary’s lively eyes died once again, her mouth forming into a grim line. “I ask her a question, she asks me a question. Silence. I tell her times almost up, she interrogates me. Then I tell you that she said nothing. Good enough?” She spoke with forced calmness, her fist clenched at her side

“No.” Max mumbled and shoved non to gently past Mary.  He stood before her staring at her. Lithe shot an annoyed glance at him and returned to chipping. “Ask her a question.’’ He demanded turning to Mary, who stood in the door way next to Emily.

“Ok . . . um Lithe did you have any more dreams this week?” Lithe felt the anger coating over her usually cool tempered attitude. She didn’t look up this time, just chipped.

“Lithe.” Max warned mildly, his tone like the purring thunder before a storm. Lithe squeezed her eyes shut tightly and lifted her head. “Yes.” She whispered, her eyes still closed, she felt her heart hammer harder against her rib cage.

“What about?” Mary’s voice was close, but a million miles away. A fog was swirling in Lithe’s mind, making her squeeze her lids tighter.

“The woman among the tree’s.”



© 2013 Courtney


Author's Note

Courtney
Here's the first chapter, leave a review let me know what you think. By the way, the fact that I have a number of editing mistakes is known. As the story has yet to be published.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

your profile says your 12 and yet you write in such a manner that is well beyond the capabilities of most 12's (not that i underestimate them or anything like that). however, i think a little introduction of the setting will be helpful here. or perhaps i'm missing something? anyway, great start. will be looking forward to the rest of it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Courtney

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'll most likely be posting the next chapter soon. I posted an intro somewhere under the .. read more



Reviews

your profile says your 12 and yet you write in such a manner that is well beyond the capabilities of most 12's (not that i underestimate them or anything like that). however, i think a little introduction of the setting will be helpful here. or perhaps i'm missing something? anyway, great start. will be looking forward to the rest of it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Courtney

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'll most likely be posting the next chapter soon. I posted an intro somewhere under the .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
1 Review
Added on February 3, 2013
Last Updated on February 3, 2013
Tags: Chapter1: The woman among the tr


Author

Courtney
Courtney

Seymour, IN



About
'Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants, the way it stops and starts.' -Edger Allen Poe more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Courtney