Chapter One: Grant.

Chapter One: Grant.

A Chapter by Throughartistseyes
"

This is only part of the chapter

"

Chapter One: Grant.

“Let me in.” It wasn’t a question anymore. The flustered receptionist shook her head and returned to her paperwork wearily. “Please.” I was begging now. “They’re me best friends, practically my only family.” I locked eyes with her. “Please.” I repeated. She sighed and flagged over a young nurse in bright scrubs, muttering something about how she was too busy to deal with ‘these kinds of people’.

“Honey,” She said to the younger woman, “Could you please take Mr…”

“Aero.” I said quickly, running a hand though my hair as she entered my last name into her computer.

“Take Mr. Aero, to room one nineteen?” She asked, boredom ringing clear in her voice, and the nurse nodded politely, turning and starting down a long hallway. I followed on her heels, my head spinning. They had to be okay, he had to be okay… My thoughts were turned inward, my own personal version of Hell envisioning itself in my mind as I pictured what was waiting for me in the cold hospital room. I nearly jumped out of my skin when the nurse touched my arm.

“Sir, are you alright?” Her large brown eyes full of concern. She was pretty, pale clear skin with pink lips that seemed to glow under the florescent lights and I wondered briefly if things were different, if she’d be my type. I shook my head, trying to clear out the thought.

“I’m fine.” I looked around and realized that we had stopped walking.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” I nodded annoyed with myself and we started moving once again. She was eyeing me carefully, as if one wrong word would set me into a rage.

“How do you know the patients?” She asked after a while, obviously trying to decide if it was a safe question to ask.

“Those patients have names you know.” I muttered.

Looks like she was right to be concerned. I wasn’t a big guy, but next to the fairy sized nurse I must have looked like the hulk. She apologized quickly.

“No, I’m sorry, it’s just, I’ve known them all my life, Jude, Nicole and I were inseparable growing up.” My stomach flipped as I said their manes and I grew more panicked, something that didn’t even seem possible. “Then one day they got married and had Claire..” I trailed off.

“Sir.” The nurse hesitantly cut me off, worry hiding in those brown eyes. “Out records say that there’s only two patients here, not three. I stopped and stared at her in disbelief. She quickly tucked her head down, hurried forward and disappeared into one of the many rooms.

With much effort, I finally regained control of my legs, took a deep breath after I realized I had stopped and followed her in.

The room was blank and white, saturated with the harsh smell of humanity and disinfectant. There were two beds in the room, each hidden by large, gaudy purple curtains. I rushed forwards, without thinking, and reaching over, tore the closest curtain back. The young nurse protested. A small blue eyed girl lay in the oversized bed, her head was down as she scribbled into a coloring book intently.

“Claire?” I said so softly it was almost a whisper, but the girls head snapped up. The crayon fell out of her hand and a smile lit up her small face. Claire stuck her arms out expectantly and I didn’t hesitate to pull her into a tight hug, burying my face into her soft blonde hair.



© 2012 Throughartistseyes


Author's Note

Throughartistseyes
Be harsh. Please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really liked it but as the other person commented, there are a few grammatical errors but they can be easily fixed. I really hope you post more soon.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW... I loved it. This story kept me on my toes the whole time, which is always a great thing for suspense. I do detect some grammar problems, but they are simply things that can be easily fixed. You should really keep writing this. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 4, 2012
Last Updated on March 4, 2012
Tags: love, loss, hope, fear, pain, love story