Intro/Chapter 1

Intro/Chapter 1

A Chapter by Courtney

Intro With my ear pressed against the cold iron door I heard the final click as the vault opened with a heavy groan. As I peered into the darkness of the safe, my eyes adjusted and my lips began to curl into into a satisfied, empty smirk as I took in the rejuvenating sight of the impeccably aligned stacks of money laying in their metal prison. I gave the signal for my backup to enter with our designated duffel. As they were hastily piling the money into the cases, I turned to ensure that the alarm system was secured, running my gloved hand along the blinking green light. My body stiffened as I heard a faint growl coming from deep within the safe. The hairs on my neck stood on end and I whirled around, pointing with the silenced pistol in my hand toward the pitch black corner of the safe. I squinted my eyes but couldn't make out anything. After a few moments of near complete silence, I lowered my guard. Shaking my suspicions, I turned away from the corner and faced the alarm system once more. "Pick it up, we're running out of time." I growled my order at the three men, eager for our getaway. The distant wailing of police sirens began from the pit of my gut, beginning the dancing on my toes as we were nearing the end of our raid. "Grab what you can. We can't wait anymore." I said as the anticipation had become too much; my itching fingers longing for the wheel of the jet black custom made 458 Ferrari Italia that I knew to await us outside. The men grabbed up their bags and pulled their masks down to conceal their faces. I glanced back into the ominous blackness once more before following suit; shoving the eerie feeling out of my mind. I cocked my gun and ran out through the lobby of the crowded bank; relishing in the surprised shrieks of the unsuspecting public. Adrenaline pumping my elation to new heights, I ran through the door being held open by a traumatised man wearing a pinstripe suit and deep red fedora; wielding only a leather briefcase as a shield as though it could withstand the force of a bullet if I had deemed fit to send one his way. I could not keep back my large grin hidden behind my ebony mask as I took in his aghast expression. I ran around the night black Ferrari that was set running just outside of the bank doors; calling to me with it's humming engine a siren's song to my soul. I jumped into the driver's seat just as the first police car came screaming into the parking lot. Slamming my foot down on the gas pedal, my hysterical laughter inaudible to all but me as the exuberant rush filled my veins, the tires squealed in protest as burning rubber filled our nostrils. The car rocketed into the busy intersection, and I veered between cars, weaving amongst the traffic as I flew onto the highway. Glancing back in the rear view mirror, I saw three police cars attempting to close in around us. Narrowing my eyes, I put my foot on the brakes and drifted around the next corner as I crossed into a busy city, only to spin and jet into the opposite direction. In a desperate act to keep up, the cops attempted to turn with the same pristine form, as if they could keep up with a Ferrari, only to crash headlong into each other, cascading into a smoking chaos. With only one car now on our tail, I continued to weave in and out over the increasingly jammed city streets, only gaining speed as the lethargic crowd of engines lulled around us. When I felt secure enough in our hidden position and distance from this fugitive race, I jerked the steering wheel, turning into a dark alley. Twenty seconds later the cop sped by, unknowing of our hidden position. After waiting a few minutes in total silence, I eased the car back out into the road and drove to our garage where we could behold our treasure of the heist and recount the experience. It wasn't until much later that the mysterious growl was to be remembered. As I was coming down from my adrenaline high, a realisation chilled me to the bone. As we had been using the deep recess of the desolate alleyway as our refuge with unequivocal life just yards away in the street, there had been a faint growl, barely audible over the rumbling of the engine and the heavy beating of our hearts.



© 2013 Courtney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome fast paced and gripping start. The growling in the last paragraph made me laugh though, because it made me think it was from someones stomach and was about to start complaining about dinner! ;p

Cool Ink!
Aaron

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 11, 2013
Last Updated on May 12, 2013


Author

Courtney
Courtney

West Lafayette, IN



Writing
Distance Distance

A Poem by Courtney


Rise Again Rise Again

A Poem by Courtney