An Exaggerated Life

An Exaggerated Life

A Story by CowboyAustin
"

Semi-true short, short story about an old relationship

"
He checked his phone for the thirty-second time that day. She didn't call. He knew she didn't, she almost never did, but it didn't hurt to look. He slipped his cell back into his pocket and leaned against the break room's wall. Five years since the day he shyly asked her out, six months since their last conversation. He couldn't even remember what it was about. Maybe their jobs, probably what they were going to do that day; anyone's guess. Ever since she had moved miles and miles away from him, his life wasn't as vibrant and happy as it had once been. His life had changed a bit in those six long months. He went from being carefree and brushing off responsibility, to working at a small grocery store, feeling as if he was going nowhere in life. 

She, however, worked as an assistant to a big time lawyer in the big time city. She never had any free time, and any free time she did have belonged to sleep. She'd glance at her phone, see his text messages and the missed call screen, but she had no time to respond, always telling herself she'd get back to it later. 

He constantly worried about whether or not she was safe, or if she was doing well, while she focused more on her job than trivial things such as his well being. He was already starting to forget her voice, which pained him beyond belief. He felt that had it not been for her smiling face on his phone's background, he would have forgotten what she had looked like by that point. 

Hours later, as he sat on his bed in his lonely room, he stared at his phone, something that had become second nature. As he stared on at his phone's beautiful smile, he started wondering if leaving her and moving on would be a better choice than waiting for a text or phone call that would probably never come. He didn't want to, by any means, but it was almost too much to bear. He started scrolling through his contacts list. 

In seconds her name was highlighted He stared at it longer than he'd ever even stared at her picture. He figured if he just deleted the name, everything would go away. She'd forget about him, find someone close, someone actually going somewhere with their life, someone living in a fast-paced world like herself. She'd eventually settle down, have a couple of kids. Be with a guy that would be able to take care of her much better than him. It didn't matter, he told himself. She wouldn't call anyway, she never did. She put her work before him. Always. 

As his finger inched towards the delete confirmation, her voice played in his head. Her cute laugh followed. Memories of every conversation rushed back into his brain. Every moment they had ever shared was playing out in his mind like they had all just happened the day before. He could remember every corny joke she had ever told. He could remember that even though the jokes weren't that good, her delivery and laugh that followed was enough to make them the funniest jokes in the world. 

Suddenly, he didn't care that he hurt everyday. He didn't care that he didn't get to hear her voice as often as he wished. He had her, and that was all that really ever mattered. Even though he was broke, he'd find a way to be in the city with her one day. Even if he had to wait another six months, he was going to hear her voice again, laugh at her jokes like before. He was once again staring at that beautiful smile, only this time through watery eyes. 

He laughed at himself. For almost giving up on them, for crying like a three year old, and just because it felt good to laugh after six long months. He shook his head and set his phone on the bed beside him. As he lay back, smiling bigger than ever, the phone rang. 

© 2012 CowboyAustin


Author's Note

CowboyAustin
Wasn't really sure if I was gonna post this, for many reasons, mainly because I suck at this kind of stuff haha, but it comes from a real place. Kind of. Hence the 'exaggerated' in the title. Luckily, the story ends a lot better than it did in real life. :) Anyway, enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It really sucks waiting for someone who isn't putting you first. I could really feel the agony over it here. It's funny because on the outside, you think, "Just delete the number!" but when you're the one in that situation, remembering that person, it really is an impossible thing to give up on. I'm glad things worked on in his favor in this story :) Awesome job, I really loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CowboyAustin

11 Years Ago

Aw, shucks! haha, but seriously, thanks for the awesome review. Yeah, you're right about that, defin.. read more



Reviews

It really sucks waiting for someone who isn't putting you first. I could really feel the agony over it here. It's funny because on the outside, you think, "Just delete the number!" but when you're the one in that situation, remembering that person, it really is an impossible thing to give up on. I'm glad things worked on in his favor in this story :) Awesome job, I really loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CowboyAustin

11 Years Ago

Aw, shucks! haha, but seriously, thanks for the awesome review. Yeah, you're right about that, defin.. read more
I think its really good, almost emotianal :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CowboyAustin

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm awful at emotional stuff, haha, so I'm really glad you liked this.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2012
Last Updated on October 22, 2012
Tags: long distance, relationship, that, kind, of, stuff

Author

CowboyAustin
CowboyAustin

Paragould, AR



About
Just a regular 31 year old guy trying to get better at writing, and get it all out into the world. Like everyone always says, if you want to know anything else, just ask. Also, I know my stuff is pret.. more..

Writing