Amora

Amora

A Screenplay by CraziiDeerz
"

Some battles can't be won...

"

Doctor: I'm sorry, ma'am, but the patient's right hemispheric brain dysfunction has not improved, but we've done everything in our power. It's just getting worse.


Mother: What will happen to my daughter? Will she be alright?

Doctor: I'm sad to say that I don't know exactly what will happen. There have been patients that manage to live with certain disabilities, and there are some patients who only last so long.

Mother: Well, my little Amora is strong. She can pull through; I know it. You see, we will get better help. Look at her there; she looks so peaceful yet in so much pain. I want to help in any way I can.

Doctor: She doesn't have the strength right now to travel, let alone get out of bed. If you go looking for help, be prepared to face disappointment. You won't receive much better solutions to your problem than the one I have for you.

Mother: And what solution is that?

Doctor: There is none. I already told you: I cannot help. Surgery would just make it worse, and the medication isn't making any extreme effects.

Mother (with a sound like she's about to cry): And I already told you: I will find a way.

(Awkward Silence w/ heart monitor in background)

Mother (surprised): She's coming to! Amora's awake!

Amora (confused): Mom? W-Where am I? What's going on? What's with the heart monitor?

Mother: Sweetie, you've been in the hospital for a while now. Your brain is injured.

Amora: What's happened?

Mother: Don't you remember, Amora? You were walking home from Cole's house, and you got hit by a car. You got a major concussion, and you were in a coma for three weeks. The right side of your brain isn't working properly. We're going to find better help. We're going to find you a cure.

Amora: Who's Cole?

Mother: You don't remember? Mora, he was your best friend.You two have known each other for years. How could you not remember? (quieter) You did everything together.

Amora: Then why don't I remember? Did I lose my memory?

Mother: I-I think you did. (to the doctor) what do you think?

Doctor: (whispers something to Mother and Nurses)

Amora: What?

Mother: Hush, love. I promise you that you will be healed. Maybe we can start in America, and Dad can meet us there, and we can see all of your old friends. Do you remember when we used to live in L.A.?

Amora: Um, I'm not sure. Maybe a little bit. Will Dad really go too?

Mother: He may be stationed in Iraq, but I'll see to it that he makes it there one way or another, okay?

Amora (drifting off to sleep): Okay. Wake me up when�'

(Silence w/ heart monitor)

Doctor: She'll be asleep for a while. Why don't you go get some rest of your own, or at least grab something to eat? I will check up on Amora every hour or so, and there will be nurses everywhere, so don't worry; your daughter is in good hands.

Mother (quietly): Alright. If anything happens, I want to know.

(Many hours later)

(Wheelchair rolling down the hall)

Amora (Just waking up): Huh? Where am I? What's happening?

Doctor (off to the side): She's experiencing some memory loss. Nurses please write that down. (Towards Amora) You're being transported to another hospital in Boston. Your mother is going to attempt to find a special cure for your brain dysfunction.

Amora: Where's my Mom?

Doctor: She's on the phone with your father. She will meet you outside when you get into the ambulance.

(Wheelchair Rolling then Outside sounds)

Mother: Amora! Are you ready to head over to America?

Amora: Yes. I am definitely ready.

(Silence Then Airplane Sounds)

Amora (annoyed): Are we there yet?

Mother: Shhh! I'm on the phone with your father, honey.

Amora: What's he saying?

Mother: He's on his way to America right now actually. (pause) What? Honey? What's happening? Are you okay? Dear, answer me! Please! What's going on?

Amora: Dad!

Mother: The line was cut off. What was happening? There was too much yelling in the background. I-I think his plane was crashing! Oh, no, no, no!

Amora (crying): What's going on?

Mother (starting to cry): I don't know. I'm...I'm sure...he has to be alright. I bet we'll hear from him soon, Amora. Don't worry.

Amora: Mom, its Dad we're talking about! He-He had to have made it right?

Mother: Please stop! This discussion has ended!

Amora: Fine.

(Many hours later then People Talking in Hospital Lobbey)

Mother: Hello, I have a room checked out for my daughter, Amora?

Lobbyist: Ah, yes. (Pauses for a second)Amora; we have a nurse here that will guide you to the right room.

Mother: Thank you very much.

Amora (quietly): Thank you.

(Wheelchair Rolling)

Amora: Do you really think they could have a cure, Mom?

Mother: Well…We're going to have to be patient until the Doctor comes with some results.

Amora: M-My head is starting to hurt.

Mother: Hang in there, sweetie.

(Silence for about an hour)

(Door opening)

Doctor2: Hello Amora, hello Mrs. Jones. How are you two doing today?

Mother: We're a little exhausted and slightly stressed, and we need some good news.

Doctor2: Yes, well, I have some good news and some bad news.

Amora: What's the bad news?

Doctor2: Your brain condition is very abnormal. It's like nothing that any of us here at Children's Hospital Boston have seen before. We, honestly, don't have much background knowledge of what to do in situations such as this one.

Mother: So, what you're saying is…

Doctor2 (quieter to Mother): What I'm saying is that from the results that we've found, and from the observations from the London Hospital, medication, surgery, or gradual recovery treatments will have almost no effect whatsoever. Amora is definitely much, much different than regular brain dysfunction patients. She's probably the worst we've ever seen.

Mother: So…w-what's the good news, then?

Doctor2 (cheerier): I've done a little research, and I think that there may a chance for your daughter to become well again. I know of a very intelligent scientist out in Fargo, North Dakota who specializes in brain neurology. He might have some valuable information for Amora's brain disease.

Mother: How can I contact her?

Doctor2: She will talk over the phone, but if you mean serious business, you may have to actually travel over there with Amora.

Mother: We just got here all the way from London! Something, I'm not sure what, but something happened to my husband! I'm not sure if Amora can take any more anxiety.

Amora: Mom! What are you talking about?

Mother: A scientist in Fargo may be able to help you get better, but we'd have to travel there, and we don't even know if she can aid you. It's a really big risk.

Amora: What if I want to go?

Mother: Amora, I'm not sure if-

Amora (cuts off Mother): Mom, I want to get better! I don't want to live this way! This scientist could have the cure! Please, Mom- (Amora starts gasping for air)

Mother: Amora? Amora what's the matter? Are you alright? Amora!

(Heart monitor starts speeding up)

Doctor2: I believe she's experiencing a Cerebral Aneurysm. (off to the side) Nurses! We need some help over here! (to Amora) Amora, just keep breathing, relax, you're going to be alright.

(Talking occurs)

Amora (frightened and in pain): *Moan* My head really hurts! *Moan*

Mother: What's happening to her?

Doctor2: I knew this would happen. From the results, I noticed that an artery in her brain was strangely larger than normal. It's swelling very rapidly. We may have to do surgery.

Mother: Surgery!? But won't that make her brain dysfunction even worse?

Doctor2: Would you rather have her die? This is very abnormal for a female of Amora's age. I don't even know if she'll survive! Please, nurse, take Mrs. Jones out into the hall.

Mother (crying): No! I'm staying right here!

(Shuffling as Mother struggles)

Amora: *Moan* I don't feel good. I feel like my head is going to explode!

Doctor2: Mrs. Jones! We have to start the operation right now!

Mother: Amora!

(Silence)

(Heart monitor beeps)

Doctor2: Mrs. Jones, the surgery went okay with only a couple casualties-

Mother (interrupts): What do you mean casualties?! No! She isn't dead is she?! NO! (to herself) This is not happening!

Doctor2: Mrs. Jones! Your daughter is alive at the moment

Mother (interrupts): WHAT DO YOU MEAN AT THE MOMENT?!?!?!

Doctor2: Ma'am, please let me speak for a moment, and I will explain.

Mother(slows breathing): Okay.

Doctor2: Amora is alive right now, but if I were you, I would seriously consider calling that scientist immediately.

Mother: Do you have her phone number?

Doctor2: Yes, it's right here. (crumpling paper)

Mother (sounding relieved): Thank you. (dialing on phone) Hello? ______Yes, this is Mrs. Jones. Are you the scientist that specializes in brain neurology? _______Wonderful. And your name would be _______ Ms. Pierre? Nice to meet you. Now, I have to talk to you about something serious. _______ Yes, my daughter, Amora, has been in a terrible accident and has an abnormal brain dysfunction on the right side of her brain, and she just underwent surgery to take care of an aneurism, but now the whole situation has only gotten worse. ______ No, it's much worse than you think, trust me. Do you think you can at least try to help? I'll pay anything ______ Well, that's an awfully high price, Ms. Pierre ______ Oh, fine. We will fly over there as soon as we can. ______ Thank you, so very much. Goodbye.

Doctor2: So, I assume that you'll be off quickly?

Mother: As soon as Amora's eyes open so I can tell her the great news. Oh, I can't believe it! My daughter is going to get cured!

Doctor2: Now, Mrs. Jones, I must make you aware that, like you said, this is a huge risk. You're daughter is nothing more than an experiment for Ms. Pierre. Experiments go wrong quite often.

Mother (astounded): Don't you dare say such a thing like that! This cure will work, I'm sure of it! I won't let Amora die, and that's a promise that I make to her!

Doctor2 (slightly annoyed): Well, then the sooner you get going the sooner you won't have to keep waiting.

Mother: You're right. Do you mind getting an ambulance ready to head to the airport? I'll get Amora in the wheelchair.

Doctor2: Alright, just be careful. Be ready to go in about twenty minutes.

Mother: Thank you. (pause) Okay, Amora, let's get you going. Don't worry this will all be over soon.

(Twenty Minutes Later)

Doctor2: Ah, you're here. I see that Amora hasn't awoken quite yet.

Mother: Yes, is something wrong? I mean she's been out for a very long time and I'm not sure if it's-

Doctor2(interrupts): Mrs. Jones, please would you calm down? My guess is that Amora won't wake up at least until you're at the airport; possibly even longer. We put her on a lot of medication and her brain dysfunction doesn't help much. So don't worry, alright?

Mother: Okay, but what if-

Doctor2(interrupts): It was a pleasure lending a hand to you and your daughter. I hope you find what you're looking for. Give Ms. Pierre my best regards, will you?

Mother: Of course. Thank you very, very much! When Amora's cured, we will make sure we stop by.

Doctor2: If she's cured. I will hope and pray to see you all again.

Mother: Goodbye.

(door slams shut)

(silence then airplane sounds)

Amora: W-What? Mom? Where are you? Is-Is anyone here? (pause) Where am I going? Maybe I'm going to the Boston Hospital. No, I think I went there already. Then what-

(Bang/Crash sound)

Amora(startled): Huh? W-What just happened? Why is the plane speeding up? Somebody help! Can't anyone hear me?

(Engine gets louder)

Amora(frantic): Help! The plane's going down! Oh, somebody please help! No! Aaaaaaaah!

(Engine gets louder then silence)

Mother: Amora! Amora what's the matter? Are you okay?

Amora: The plane is crashing! Mom, I-(pauses) Mom? Wait, where am I?

Mother: Amora, I think you had a bad dream. Oh dear, we need to get you to Ms. Pierre.

Amora: Ms. Pierre? Who's that?

Mother: We are on a plane right now that's headed for Fargo, North Dakota. There, a scientist, Ms. Pierre, will help you get better. Don't you remember? We talked about this before-before you had that aneurysm.

Amora: Right. I think I remember. (pause) Mom, does this scientist really have the cure?

Mother: Well, you see, she has a cure, but someone has to test it. You are going to test it.

Amora(serious): Will it kill me?

Mother(thinks for a second): No. I will make sure that it doesn't kill you. I promise, you won't have this brain dysfunction any more.

Amora: Okay. I can't wait to get there.

(Many hours later)

(DING-DONG then door opens)

Ms. Pierre: Can I help you?

Mother: Yes, I am Mrs. Jones and this is my daughter, Amora.

Amora: Hello.

Ms. Pierre: Ah, you're the one I talked to on the phone. Excellent. Amora, you can go sit down in the other room while I talk to your mom. Mrs. Jones, as soon as you called, I got to work on the experiment here at the lab. I've always wanted to work with extreme cases of brain diseases. I just need you to sign a contract I have here.

(shuffling papers)

Mother: A contract?

Ms. Pierre: Well, yeah. You do know that this cure isn't for sure going to work? I can't guarantee that your daughter will get better.

Mother: What are the chances?

Ms. Pierre: Let me think. (pause) There's probably a 17% chance that she won't survive.

Mother: That's not so bad. So, she'll probably make it, then? That's great! Let's get started as soon as possible! Here I'll sign it.

(writing on paper)

Ms. Pierre(a little surprised): Okay. I'm almost finished with the medicine that I'm making. Give me, oh, a few more hours and Amora can test it.

Mother: Alright. I'll be in the other room with my daughter. Please take your time, and let us know when you're all done. Thank you so much, Ms. Pierre.

Ms. Pierre: Don't thank me yet, Mrs. Jones.

(Three hours later)

Ms. Pierre: Mrs. Jones, I'm ready to start. Could you please bring Amora?

Mother: Okay. I still can't thank you enough.

Ms. Pierre: Don't thank me until we know she's cured.

Mother: Okay. Can I help in any way?

Ms. Pierre: If you want, you can hold Amora's hand during the procedure.

Mother: That would be great. All righty then. Lets get started.

(Heart monitor)

Amora (as she is falling asleep from medication): Mom, I'm scared. Stay here plea…

Mother: I'm right here, sweetie.

Ms. Pierre: Are you sure you want to stay for this Mrs. Jones? It is surgery after all.

Mother: Amora needs me. I have stay.

Ms. Pierre: Alright. Just don't get in the way. (pauses) Let's begin.

(Procedure) (A few hours later)

Mother: So, tell me Ms. Pierre, what is this procedure you're performing on my daughter? By the way, thank you for covering up the operation. This is truly hard to watch.

Ms. Pierre: Well, you see, I have conjured up a, ah, sort of drug for the brain specifically. I even went into more detail and made it for the right side. See it on this tray here? It's like a shot.

Mother: Well, then why can't you just inject in into her arm or something?

Ms. Pierre: It doesn't work like that. It must go directly to the brain. The medication can't go running all over her body through her bloodstream. It could damage one of her organs. I must insert the drug at a certain point of her brain at a certain time.

Mother: A certain time? What do you mean?

Ms. Pierre: Mrs. Jones, please don't overreact to this, but while Amora was taking in the IV drugs to fall asleep, I also put in an antipsychotic drug that I personally tweaked so that it does nothing but swell a main blood vessel in her brain.

Mother: What?! But that won't do any good in her brain!

Ms. Pierre: I told you not to overreact! You have nothing to worry about. The swelling will take place at the spot in Amora's brain where it's in the worst condition. That will show me exactly where I must inject my homemade drug. Then the medication will not only bring down the swelling, but it will also repair the brain where it is damaged. Do you understand?

Mother (takes a deep breath): I think so. The swelling is just a part of the whole operation, and it won't do any permanent damage to Amora?

Ms. Pierre: Correct. (pause) Okay, here comes the swelling. (pause) Ah, here's where the problem is. (pause) Alright, now I will take the drug and-(pause) there.

Mother: It's done? Is she better now? How long is it going to take?

Ms. Pierre: The swelling should go down right away (pause then gets a little more frantic) Wait a second. What-What's going on here? This-can't be happening.

(Fast Heart Monitor)

Mother (going insane): WHAT?! IS SOMETHING WRONG?! AMORA!

Ms. Pierre: The swelling hasn't stopped yet! Uh, let's see here, I can-

Mother: Fix her! Please do something for my daughter! Can't you do anything?

Ms. Pierre: The only thing that I can do that won't kill her is cut open the artery, settle the swelling, and sew it back together. This is a major risk.

Mother: Just do it! It's now or never!

Ms. Pierre: Fine! I'm-sorry to both of you. Here goes!

(Silence) (A few hours later)

(Heart Monitor)

Ms. Pierre: Mrs. Jones? I'm all finished. Everything's sewed up.

Mother: How is she?

Ms. Pierre: We won't find out until she wakes up. If she wakes up. Listen, I'm really sorry about all of this. I-honestly didn't expect the whole operation to go haywire. Just remember that this is an experiment and-

Mother (interrupts): Stop talking like Amora's going to die! Do you hear that heart monitor? She's still breathing and living. Even if she is still disabled, at least we attempted.

Ms. Pierre: Mrs. Jones, I don't think you-

Mother (interrupts): No! I don't want to hear it. Just leave us alone!

Ms. Pierre: Okay.

Heart Monitor)

Mother(deep breath): Oh, Amora…

(Sad music)

(Heart Monitor With Flatline)

(Silence)

THE END

© 2011 CraziiDeerz


Author's Note

CraziiDeerz
Thanks to anyone who reads or reviews!!! I greatly appreciate all support and criticism!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awww... Sad.:( I haven't read anything like this before, but I think it was pretty good:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
1 Review
Added on May 31, 2011
Last Updated on May 31, 2011

Author

CraziiDeerz
CraziiDeerz

Aurora, IL



About
Hey guys! I guess I'm pretty new here, but all that matters is that I love to read and write. This isn't the first story-sharing site I've been on. I'm on WattPad, DeviantArt, Fictionpress, and a few .. more..

Writing