Around The Track

Around The Track

A Story by Taylor M.
"

A short story about running, and that feeling you get when you're with someone.

"

I keep my legs moving in a steady pace. Slowly jogging the track. The ten minute run felt more like ten years as I breathe hard and struggle to keep my feet going. My lungs burn, and I just want to collapse. Mind you, I'm not an athletic person, and have always credited myself to strength of the mind. So it was with some unknown impulse that I signed up for the Track and Field team. We did ten minute runs every day at practice, yet I was always un-prepared for it. I would start off well, but soon my legs would ache, and my chest would burn. I was sweating through the chill, the early spring air bit through my hoodie and travelled up my arms. The pain almost compelled me to stop, when I heard a familiar voice behind me. I smiled then, which was not easy to when my body was screaming for oxygen.

"Hey! Wait up!" A boy jogs up to my right.

"Riley!" I half shout, and my smile widens as the boy comes into view. Ah, Riley. I think I might've quit track if it were not for his presence. He talked to me, distracted me from the run, and made me laugh even when I had no air to do so. My legs are still moving in that painful pace, and I notice he is almost as out of breath as I am.

"This is torture!" He gasps, in that half-kidding way that sounds almost like a joke. It has that effect on me, and I start to giggle. "Taylor, just talk. It'll make the run easier." I am panting like a dog and a bit ambarrassed. I don't want to speak, because I feel like I will say the wrong thing. I close my eyes for a second and laugh.

"I can't!" Riley looked at me for a moment before saying, "Talk to me about all the books you've read." I look Riley in the eyes, and I'm slightly surprised. This boy really knew how to make me talk.

"Well...", I start, already noticing distraction, and I talk I would talk for the whole ten minutes, because of Riley, and how well he knew me. Maybe one day, I could repay the favor, this boy was worth it.

© 2013 Taylor M.


Author's Note

Taylor M.
I enjoy writing stories about events in my life, although I do change the names.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I absolutely recommend this contest for you because of your awesome piece about track and field: http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Prose-and-
Poetic-Athletics/50031/

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vic
This is the cutest thing ever. I approve of this boy you know. He's a keeper.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 11, 2013
Last Updated on June 2, 2013
Tags: around, the, track, love, story, stories

Author

Taylor M.
Taylor M.

Surrey, United Kingdom



About
I am a young writer who wants to be heard. I am a Whovian, and a Sherlockian. I hope you enjoy my writing, because I often get ambarassed by my work. I mostly write about romance, heart-break, suspens.. more..

Writing