Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by The Creative Disaster

Chapter IV

          Beatrice was slowly shuffling on the streets with the wife, clutching at the thick stitches near her shoulder. As they slowly progressed, Beatrice became more and more curious with each step. “Excuse me for my ignorance, but who are you? And why have you decided to help us?” The woman smiled soothingly and answered, “I’m Inesta Arico, and my husband is Paolo. We moved here to Czech by boat some time ago in search of a, how can I put this, quieter lifestyle. It seems as that we might not have found it, though.” Beatrice smiled. There was something about Mrs. Arico that seemed to lift the heavy atmosphere wherever she went. “I take it from your accents that you are Spaniards, no?” she said. Mrs. Arico nodded, and they continued in light silence. The pair continued their stroll down the freshly paved main road and took a left. They were walking in the middle of the street, for cars were scarce before the world war and much scarcer after. Soon they arrived at a large three storey building made completely out of pine wood. It was the first of many similar buildings after it, all of which seemed not older than ten years at most.

“These were recently built as commercial offices,” explained Inesta. “They carry a hefty price tag, as you may have expected, but the alchemist is indispensible to the town, because the nearest doctor is over at Sherberry.”

‘Sherberry. My town.’ Beatrice thought back to what was really yesterday but seemed like a month ago. She remembered her house and Anne and Bessie. ‘What would they have done once we didn’t turn up?’ Anne wouldn’t have cared less, but Bessie might be doing anything. She couldn’t imagine what her reaction would be. She always seemed so calm in the face of alarm, but then again there hadn’t been much alarm to react to. Her thoughts were cut short by Inesta’s voice.

“Sweetie, I’m afraid I have to leave you here. The alchemist’s office is on the top floor, and the stairs are so steep that you must hold on to the railing, which I’m afraid your injury,” she gestures to her shoulder, “prevents you from doing. I just need to get more gauze for you and a salve for Paolo. He seems to have grazed his knee hard against the pavement when he ran for the alchemist after we saw you. Stay near here and don’t strain your stitches.” Beatrice nodded in understanding and Inesta left curtly. She settled herself against the side of the building and waited, tears streaming down her cheeks and rolling off her chin down her neck. She didn’t expect to just cry, but as soon as she left she realized she was all alone in this game right now.

Just like Samuel.



© 2013 The Creative Disaster


Author's Note

The Creative Disaster
Sorry for the rather short chapter. Chapter 5 will more than make up for it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on July 15, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013
Tags: mystery, thriller, suspense, threatening


Author

The Creative Disaster
The Creative Disaster

About
Hi! My name is George and I'm a high schooler with a love of writing, but then again pretty much everyone here has that love so I guess I better tell you something you don't know. What you probably do.. more..

Writing