Pendulum

Pendulum

A Story by Kinsey
"

Very short, still a work in progress.

"
Chapter 1
A pendulum, bronze and worn, swung from side to side. It was the only moving thing in between the silent figure and the throne sitting empty on the dais. The weathered, oak table held nothing else, save a small cup. The sparkling liquid inside shook ever so slightly with each pass of the weight. The figure could have passed for a statue. The regal posture. Not a hair out of place. Mouth carved into a stern and rigid scowl. The tall, narrow windows let in a steady and bright cascade of sunlight. Dust particles floated ever so slow and lazy in the air, visible only as they passed through the yellow rays.
Without the King and council present and the regular crowds of townspeople waiting to share their usual requests and complaints the quiet was deafening. It felt like a creature all its own, bouncing from stone to stone. Silence was something she had come to both treasure and hate. Politics gave her plenty to reflect on in her down time, but it wasn't what she wanted her life to be. If she had any say she would leave it all behind and set out on an adventure all her own.
It could be any sort of adventure, really. At least a life of boredom and repetition told her so. The thought of hiding behind castle walls for her whole life was horrifying. She saw no good reason why she shouldn't be able to go out and use what she had been taught her entire existence to do, LIVE. In the minds of most, however, she suspected many would say the exact opposite. Being the King's daughter, people assumed she knew nothing and wanted for even less. The title of Princess carried with it a certain facade and if she used that as a way to better survive in the long term, all the better. Somehow it was satisfying when people underestimated you. 
She had read of the legends since she could remember. They had always been passed down in her family and the other lesser Houses. The outside world was a very dangerous place, but not everywhere. Along with its dangers it also held magical safe spots. Magical in ways only half known. People whispered, but only in vague mentions muttered under breath. Pixies, dragon's fire, sleeping curses, fairy godmothers. She knew such things had to exist. She had always had a sense that slightly at her visions edge she could almost catch a glimpse of it. But never fully. Her father would never allow for such nonsense. He denied anything magical in the least and Queen was always a position he pushed for as her future destination. Many other Houses were open to treaties when a lady's hand and a seat to the throne were on the table.
Her father entered the room. Without looking she knew from the sound of footsteps who it was. Same posture and stern outlook. Like father, like daughter she thought. She allowed herself one tiny half smirk for just a second. 
"Hello, Father."
"Hello, Aruna."

© 2015 Kinsey


Author's Note

Kinsey
This is not a completed work. Just the first paragraph. Full honesty, always. One day I'd like to be published. Everything I write gets me one step closer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The pendulum swings and the world and it`s people advance (retreat) another click.
Having moved it has done the work of a pendulum, all the people have moved, more children born and so it
went.
---- Eagle Cruagh----Oh, forgive me, you write well . Thank y0u.
---- Eagle Cruagh

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The pendulum swings and the world and it`s people advance (retreat) another click.
Having moved it has done the work of a pendulum, all the people have moved, more children born and so it
went.
---- Eagle Cruagh----Oh, forgive me, you write well . Thank y0u.
---- Eagle Cruagh

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a very grippng way of writing. I like the way you have created the air of mystique around this princess and the imagery is vivid and sets the stage beautifully.

Waiting to read the rest of your story.. Good luck!

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Allow me to nit-pick first. This is four paragraphs and two lines of dialogue. I thought your writing was excellent. You have some phrasing problems, but nothing major. I saw no misspelling which I run across quite often so all to the good. This last part could be cleaned up a bit: [Her father entered the room. Without looking she knew from the sound of footsteps who it was. Same posture and stern outlook. Like father, like daughter she thought. She allowed herself one tiny half smirk for just a second.
"Hello, Father."
A low clearing of his throat. "Hello, Aruna."]

{Footsteps echoed in the corridor. The princess heard the scruff of boots on stone, but she didn't acknowledge the visitor, she knew who it would be. The visitor stood silent and the princess allow her lips to form a self-satisfied smirk. Like Father like daughter, she thought.
"Father?" She said.
"Good day, Aruna," her Father replied after clearing this throat}

The preceding is only a suggestion as to how this small part of your scene might be improved. Perhaps you might have even a better idea. jb

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kinsey

8 Years Ago

Thorough review. Thank you for the suggestions. This is still a very rough, super early-stage draft... read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
This was really interesting and i just wanted more to read, pleases do some more !!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love it. i would gladly read the rest when it's finished.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think its got a fantastic icing of cool fantasy on it; and being a fan of "cool fantasy", my interest was sparked. I loved it and feel it could lead to something terrifically amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kinsey

8 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much. This is the first real thing I have written in a long time and putting it ou.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2015
Last Updated on December 31, 2015

Author

Kinsey
Kinsey

OR



About
I just want to be a published author one day. Even if its only one book. I want to hold it in my hands, see my name on the cover, hope someone else reads it and that it takes them to a new place. more..

Writing
Wandering Wandering

A Story by Kinsey


Moments Moments

A Poem by Kinsey