~Todd~

~Todd~

A Chapter by Wickers
"

Reverence of a mission...

"
~Todd~

"This isn't gonna work."

Todd's lips part with feverish happiness as the flimsy cigarette touches his flesh. Seconds later it ignites to life.

"Prey tell, why?"

Indifference taints the line. He can imagine the thoughts flitting through the man's head-they are no doubt marred with malice.

Todd's shoulders sink. "'Cause I've been watching the brat closely-her nose is gonna get dirty-fast. It ain't a good idea Master."

Pause. "When did you start calling the shots, Todd?"

There it is. The malice hiding under the veil of indifference. It takes but the wrong statement to wring it out. Unfortunately he is seldom the recipient.

Todd eases the cigarette out and out comes a wisp of white, unyielding smoke. It spreads like wildfire in the room-distorting the clean air with its pungent odor.

"I haven't." It takes a while to answer, the finality of the words resonate in his being.

A bout of uneven breathing lingers on the other line-the only sign the Master is perturbed. Todd can imagine the man's next words.

"Good. I suggest you lose your conscience and do as I decree. Or is the alternative more attractive?"

He shivers. The ghost of past discretions float to the surface like oil on water, the consequences of disobedience leaves him gnawing his tongue. He pays no mind to the coppery tang swimming in his mouth. This is it. He has no choice. It is either go through with the mission, or--

"Yes sir, understood."


© 2014 Wickers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on November 17, 2014
Last Updated on November 18, 2014


Author

Wickers
Wickers

Konoha



About
There isn't much I can say about myself, except that I'm learning. Learning what you might ask? Everything! I'm learning go to be a better daughter, friend, girl-friend, sister, and last but not least.. more..

Writing
~Hawkins~ ~Hawkins~

A Chapter by Wickers


~Hawkins~ ~Hawkins~

A Chapter by Wickers