~Hawkins~

~Hawkins~

A Chapter by Wickers
"

Spilling the beans...

"
~Hawkins~

My back scrapes the grimy wall as I wilt like a dead flower, and my heart calms. Though I force my body back to normal, I can't help the flash of danger that plummets to my stomach at the blackout. The short-lived event is significant, but how? Darkness no longer permeates the hallway like an ocean current; the lights vow to live and illuminate the cold walkway. But the strangeness of the event still lingers on the precipice of my mind, and I grip the key. The dread that had trailed me all day like a lost puppy gushes back tot he surface with wild abandon, and a heaviness stains my heart.

“What the hell was that?” the words are soft and broken, and for a minute I wonder if it's even mine. Fear isn't an attribute I associate with, yet its grips my voice.

I try to remember how to breathe.

Air infiltrates my lungs, and I steal a peek at the monster's lair. He is nowhere in sight.
“Good, maybe I can leave.” I reach for the suitcase and extra backpack messing with each other, my new determination: to run. I have to run from Todd. There is no way I'll stay with that man for an unforeseen amount of time...

Crack!

A door up the hall creaks open at the slow pace of danger, and my heart plummets to my stomach a second time. Like a deer caught in the headlights of the merciless hunter I am; I shiver as a cold tremor vibrates down my spine. The echo of footsteps drum in my head, and messy, sandy blond hair comes into view. I know who that hair belongs to well, and I don't want to see him now.

Or ever.

There's no telling what he'll do to me now that I am alone; he'll take one look at the bags wailing for mercy in my hand and grin like a maniac. His eyes will sparkle with mischief, and he'll bear his teeth in a show of dominance. I won't escape the meeting unscathed...and scampering like a frightened rat isn’t' my style.

Pocketing the key, I make a hasty decision. As much as I hate staying with the man, I have no choice. I can't afford a run-in with him; he's sure to kill me. I swing the extra backpack on my shoulder and drag the suitcase into the man's abode as his body emerges from the other side of the door. Relief washes through me, I loosen the handle, the door shuts with a soft click.

“That was a close one.”

Clip, clack, clip, clack.

There is anger in the footsteps stalking the hall as he hunts for his prey, and I am thankful I am out of his reach. He'll never think to look for me in here. A gentle hum purrs from the door, and I jump. Seven, feline-like bolts lie dormant at the edge of the doorway in a vertical line, silver and glinting proud in the brightness of the room. Nesting and lining with the topmost silver beast is a small, white box. There is a black hole in the center. I squint and get close, my heart quickens as a bright, crimson light flashes from the hole quick before going out.

What the heck?

“You alive, child?” Snapping fingers and deep, hoarse voice brings me to reality, and I shove the incident away. A scowl curls my lip. Hanging loose from Todd's hip are murky gray slacks. White, lacy strings dangle at the waist, and toned, dry stomach taunts and mocks my eyes.

My scowl deepens.

“I have a name, and it's not child!” If I stare at his shirtless body any longer, my head will grow red and explode. “Don't you have any shame at all?”

His arm stretches over his head and his bones crackle into place. “Why should I princess? It is my house, my rules. I'll walk 'round naked if I want.” His eyes glaze with mirth, his lips upturn in a smirk. “What's the matter, little goddess of war, never seen a man naked before?”

Embarrassment flames my cheeks, I feel like sinking through the floor. My lips quiver as I sputter like a fool to thwart his teasing. “No! And I'd like to keep it that way! Go put some damn clothes on!”

Blue-green eyes narrow to slits, and the glaze of amusement hardens to stone. A frown tilts his plump lips to the ground, and the temperature in the room plummets. The sudden cool freezes me by the door. It is only after seconds of shooting off my mouth I realize I just insulted a man who can slit my throat in my sleep. But I won't apologize.

Stubbornness floats free in my D.N.A.

But Todd snorts, and rakes a hand through his wet mane. “Get used to it sweetheart,” He says, his tone smug, “I walk 'round here naked a lot. It's somethin' you'll get used to.”

No I don't. Mom left me with the horrible man for company, but I won't be here come night. There's no way I'll spend my free time with Mr. Todd.

“Whatever,” I flake off his word, “it's painful just standing here. I'm not wasting my time arguing with you old man.”

“Old man?” His voice hitches in mock offense. “How old do you think I am?”

I glare I shoot him is enough to send a brave warrior fix feet under, but it fails to faze him. “Why does it matter? Stop trying to make small talk with me, I don't like you.”

His booming chuckle vibrates in the walls.
“Why not?”

“You're creepy.”

His mirth grows, by now everyone in the complex hears him. “That hurts, little goddess.”

“STOP calling me that!” My voice rolls and wavers like thunder, my face scalding with rage. I clench my fists tight and stalk to him; I feel like a lioness cornering her prey. “Don't think I don't know what you do for a living. Those suits you wear every night don't come cheap.” The words leave my mouth in a fit of anger, I am spilling the beans without cracking the lid. “You're a hit man, I've seen you kill people.” There. The secret is out. Mr. Todd knows what I know.

Bushy black brows arch at my confession, mismatched eyes freeze. The quietness confirms everything, there is not denying it.
I swallow the football in my throat. “I'm right, aren’t I?”

His lips stretch to a frenzied smile. “Does that scare you?” He whispers. “Does it scare you, little one, to know what I am?” He is in front me in the blink of an eye. I'll question how, but my body is rigid, like stone. My feet roots to the spot, and the emotion I hate most spirals about me in rushing, violent waves. My hands quiver, and my heart beats to a merciless drum in my chest. Blinking, I watch as Todd's large hand circles my throat, his fingers cold and firm around my flesh. He tilts my head and licks his lips. “I can kill you in a second, you know?” His face inches closer, warm breath ghosting over my face. A hint of mint invades my nose. My eyes glue to his form. “I can squeeze a little harder and your eyes will bulge. You'll gasp for breath and struggle for your life.” His nose touches mine in a tender kiss, his mismatched depths darkening to a morbid shade of evil. “And I'll not release you. In two minutes you'll crumple to the floor, dead.”

A rush of air flies from his wet lips as he recites the sinister tale of my dead, then in the next breath, I am free.

Todd is back in his spot, his face slack with calm, eyes sparkling with amusement.

My hands fly to my neck, I gasp like a fish out of water. “So,” I push, trying to make sense of his words, “You are a killer?”

“Oh please!” He glides around the back of the checkered sofa. “Do I look like I'd hurt a fly to you?”

Yes almost flies out my mouth.

“You know what, don't answer that. I work at the Dawning Cafe`, if you must know. I got no clue what you're talking about.” His face is serious.

Still, I don't believe him. Not that it surprises me-I expect him to deny it. His charade only serves to put me on point with my theory-it doesn't throw me off course like he thinks it will. “Yeah? Then explain why I saw a bald man come in here three days ago, but never leave. And,” I hold a finger to stop his interruption, “all those prostitutes that come visit you every night. I have yet to see one of them leave, so you can't fool me. I know you kill them.”

His face distorts with amusement, his lips curve in a dangerous smile. Raw mischief lights his blue-green eyes, and I know for sure he is going to finish the job.

He's going to kill me.

“Wow little goddess,” He coos, “I didn't know you liked me that much; you sure have kept an awful good eye on me and what I do. Are you sure you don't have a crush?” Mischief vanishes, he rakes my form from head to toe in a curious way. “You're too young. Get a little older first, and grow some b***s, maybe then we'll talk. Better yet, does sweet mommy know about this?” A noise akin to aggravation vibrates in his throat. “That's rich, not only does the mother have a crush on me, but the daughter as well.”

I throw a punch. He catches my fist and wrings my arm fast, keeping it captive behind my back.

“You're a delusional little one,” His warm breath flickers over my ear, “I like that. I think this little living arrangement will be fun, don't you?”

“I really, really hate you.” I am mortified my punch don't land it's mark. I want to hurt him, but he thwarts my attempt as if it is nothing. My eyes almost bulge out my head when he presses his face against mine, the stubble on his jaw tickling my skin.

“I'll change your mind 'bout that,” He murmurs, “Now, what do you want on your pizza?”

I almost fall when he pushes me. I turn as he procures a silver phone from his slacks. He flips it open and looks to me, “Well?”

“I hate pizza.”

He nods and points to the apartment. “That's the kitchen, we're in the living room. You'd make a horrible spy if you didn't figure that already.” He comments, as if I ask for his opinion. “And there are several rooms in this small space. You can have the second room down the hall, on the right. My room's the third door down and,” He states fast, his eyes glazing with a seriousness that prickles my attention, “under no circumstances are you to ever open the first and fourth door. Understand?”

I wet my lips and straighten. “Why? What's in there?”

“First door on the left's the bathroom; second door leads to the balcony.”

“Are you going to answer me?” My interest in the forbidden doors now piqued.

The cushion makes a solid fart as Todd slumps on the sofa. “Oh yes,” He cranes his neck, “don't take forever in the bathroom, alright? I hope you aren't one of these girls that's all about their good looks.”

“I'm not vain like you.”

A bark of laughter pelts from his voice. “I like you child.” He says, bringing the cell to his ear. Seconds later he speaks in hushed tones to someone on the other end, and I take that as my cue to leave, to investigate the premises. I make short work of getting my bundles and trek through his home. I can go to the balcony now and make a quick escape-the man is preoccupied with his small, uninteresting piece of technology than me-I know he'll not even notice my absence if I run.

But, the more I think, the more curious I got. It might be worth staying at his abode to see what well crafted secrets he's hiding.

Maybe, I can unearth the bodies of those poor dead women and alert the police...
My new mission comes clear as my curiosity and thirst for answers sparks like a light-bulb: I have to uncover the mystery of Leonardo Todd.

Glancing at the man, I weave around the kitchen. I'd lie if I say I paid attention to everything; and swivel into the hall. It resembles the corridor; narrow, cold, and white paint chipping off the wall. It reminds me of the spectacle as my mother got further and further from me.

That again. I can't think of it any longer, I'll get a headache. I'll let my fear get the better of me, and I can't let that happen. Not now.

My spit is warm and smooth as it sails down my throat, and thinking nothing more of it, I stalk the hall. I try to keep my steps as light as possible, a difficult thing with combat boots.

The temptation to stop at the first door and open it is great; the curiosity about whatever lurks behind it's depths is almost too inviting to pass, but I have to wait. Todd is still here.
Perhaps if it isn't I'll take a chance and snoop, but I'm not getting caught with my hand in the cookie jar. I have better sense.

I inch close to the door and press an ear against the old stained wood. I listen for any sign of what lay behind the door; I imagine a man or woman trapped against their will, duct tape tapered firm and licking their lips, their hands and legs bound with thick rope. They'll probably struggle against the furniture in the room, desperate to make noise so anyone entering Todd's place will hear and save them from the diabolical man. But nothing, not even the whisper of a feather reaches my ears.

Odd. If there is nothing behind the door, then why'd he tell me to stay away?

I smile as realization hits me. He doesn't want me to snoop. He is trying to scare me. Well it doesn't work. I will find out what's behind the door whether he likes it or not. I'll expose whatever deep, dirty secret he has.

But first, I have to find and set up my base of operations.

I move to door two. A broken breath rushes from my lips as my fingers curl around the cold, rusty knob. Unsure of what conditions will find me on the other end, I walk into the room, darkness meeting me.

“Great, would it be too much to ask for automatic lights?” My hands molest the wall for a switch, and a dim, gold light settles over the room. “It's...homey.” A twin sized bed snuggles against the wooden wall, light blue sheets neat on the surface. A pair of black pillows kiss each other at the headboard, a three count stack of tires with a simple, flat sheet of metal passes as the bedside table. A thin, dark rug stretches from the bed to the dresser sitting at the opposite wall, and four, metallic knobs glint. It isn't a bad room, it has a more inviting feel than the bland room I share with my mother, but there's no way I'll ever relay that to the hulking menace. He'll gloat too much.

“It's...not bad.” I admit, ushering in. The door clicks shut. I sling the backpacks on the bed and lean the suitcase against the wall and prowl the room like an animal. This place will be my home for the next couple of days, I shall settle.



© 2014 Wickers


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on November 17, 2014
Last Updated on November 24, 2014


Author

Wickers
Wickers

Konoha



About
There isn't much I can say about myself, except that I'm learning. Learning what you might ask? Everything! I'm learning go to be a better daughter, friend, girl-friend, sister, and last but not least.. more..

Writing
~Hawkins~ ~Hawkins~

A Chapter by Wickers


~Hawkins~ ~Hawkins~

A Chapter by Wickers