In the name of religion

In the name of religion

A Poem by Wild Rose

In the name of religion


They tell you to love and worship God

You must attend mass on Sundays

The mass is said in Latin

Latin is a universal language

You can understand the mass in any country

 

As a child they had a 'Childrens mass' on Sunday morning

At Mondays assembly at school those who missed mass were punished

I went to mass in other towns and at other churches

You should attend the childrens mass

 

Complaining brought more punishment

I stopped attending early on Monday mornings

Hid round the corner during assembly

Slipped in line as the others marched into class

 

I went through hardships to attend mass

Cycling alone all morning

To meet the cycling club at the lunch place

Why do religious fanatics wreath punishment on their followers 


© 2018 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

its the evil Nuns my friend ;) raised Catholic ... once Catholic always Catholic ... especially the Irish .. we use to go early to the Cathedral and pick up the bulletins (to take home and prove we went) .. then marched with glee to St. Palace Lounge Bowling Alley :))))) in defense of Religion, i have to note that the fanatics are few in number compared to those who are just trying to be better people ... but i sure to hear your poem loud and clear my friend!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
You have to experience the same situation to truly understand
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

:) .................



Reviews

good question,,i see catholicism as a cult of sorts..but it is in all religions
they seem to look down their noses at you while they sin in secret

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I couldn't agree more with what you say. Where is the love? Well said Wild Rose. I no longer attend church.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

I think they loose more people because of the way people are treated
With our connections wi.. read more
Hi,Wild Rose.
I'm not Catholic, but I did study Catholicism when I was in my twenties, and attended several masses. My best friend from high school was Catholic, also, and when they had CYO after school every week, I sometimes sat at the back of the gym, listening. I have a pretty good understanding of the religion, although I do not have the experience of growing up in it.
I grew up in my Irish family, not Catholic, but Episcopalian...a sort of 'Catholic Lite', I guess you'd say.That's what my Dad called it, anyroad. No nuns...none.
The nuns fascinated me, though, when I saw them. Not like now; back then they always wore those black gowns and wimples. The Catholic kids were sure afraid of those ladies!
But I am off topic, or drifting...where was I? Oh, yes. The Catholic Church was responsible for the atrocities of the Inquisition, and that, alone,is reason enough for me.
But there's more; nothing else so terrible, but...stuff. Like kneeling to pray before a statue, which is NOT Scriptural (Leviticus 26:1), Calling priests Father(Matthew 23:9),Repetitive phrases in prayer like the Rosary(Matthew 6:7)
Mary was always a virgin(Matthew 13:55-56),(Matthew 1:24-25)I have to mention here, in case you are not following along in the Bible, that this is Biblical proof that Mary was not a perennial virgin. Jesus had brothers and sisters, and we are told that Joseph took Mary as his wife, but he did not have relations with her UNTIL after Jesus was born. What about Peter being the first Pope? Well, he was the only one of Jesus' apostles who was a married man, so...if he was, the rules had better change about priests, nuns, and even the Pope, concerning marriage! (Mark 1:30) Purgatory... neither the word, nor the concept, can be found in the Scriptures. It is, quite simply, a 'scare tactic' Sex--it was NOT the "original sin". We know this because, when God gave Eve to Adam, He told them to 'be fruitful, and fill the Earth, and subdue it'. He was telling them to have children, and what would step 1 be?There was no fertility clinic in those days!
Now, there are probably more things, but these are the ones I thought of.
Martin Luther thought of 95! He nailed them to the doors of the cathedral, and the Protestant Reformation was on!
There is ample evidence, though. The Catholic church, to become Bible based and to go in accordance with Scripture, has some big changes to make!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Ah Yes I understand - Son has just had a metal plate put in his knee > they are going to remove it s.. read more
angel

5 Years Ago

Best wishes for your son; I will pray for him as soon as I post this.
Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Thank you > He has been given a provisional date mid January
This is interesting to read. It gives me an incite to Catholicism that I don't have having never practiced it. In America it usually isn't practiced as traditionally, so there are many things I've never learned about even from Catholic friends. Like the fact that it is believed that “Latin is a universal language”.

I think this poem does a good job of explaining it's material in an easy to understand way and the first stanza is my favorite. The last sentence wraps up the concept well.

This part of Catholicism is sad because I've met many well meaning Catholics who I know have met Jesus, but they miss the fact that salvation is based on Jesus's works, not our own, which is what sets us apart from other belief systems.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Thank you HL
Latin is universal in that You could go to any other country and you would know .. read more
Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

OH yes my experience is from about 70 year ago
oh yes the rules of religion; very strict and very harsh.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Yes, but on contemplation I think it made me harder
Been told several times 'you cant do tha.. read more
Very nice poem. I lived in a country that if you were caught with a Bible, you'd be killed. It wasn't allowed, but my mother secretly prayed and worshipped God.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NotUsinganymore

5 Years Ago

You should check out my first story, it is about my experiences.
Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Wil do JungLee
NotUsinganymore

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
Growing up in the mainly protestant,southern US, I was led to believe that Catholics were very close to being Satanists. Also that dancing and drinking alcohol were sins and all Jews loved money. Thankfully, I eventually learned better. Religion is often painful and causes stupidity in its followers, but it shouldn't. I blame man for that, not God.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Thank You Samuel
Yes I agree. I have worked with people from many religions. All the religion.. read more
Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Yep. We believe much the same.
When the teacher forget to be kind and understandable. Things that shouldn't be hardship become hardship. A sad story written in the poem. I was kick out of the Catholic school at seven. Too many rule for me. Interesting poem written my friend.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Now seventy year later I still hate that head teacher
I marvel at the buildings from tiny st.. read more
its the evil Nuns my friend ;) raised Catholic ... once Catholic always Catholic ... especially the Irish .. we use to go early to the Cathedral and pick up the bulletins (to take home and prove we went) .. then marched with glee to St. Palace Lounge Bowling Alley :))))) in defense of Religion, i have to note that the fanatics are few in number compared to those who are just trying to be better people ... but i sure to hear your poem loud and clear my friend!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
You have to experience the same situation to truly understand
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

:) .................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 14, 2018
Last Updated on November 14, 2018

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fact Fact

A Story by ...


Symbiosis Symbiosis

A Poem by ...