Enlisting version 2

Enlisting version 2

A Chapter by Wild Rose

Enlisting version2


June 1953

 

Every male over the age 18 You received a letter to inform you of date and time to register. to register at the local labour exchange. 

 

Those who were on a course in instruction apprentice or university course or similar had to register but received an exemption to the age 21

 

The time came to register when Harry was eighteen. you had to report to the Labour Exchange, as an engineering apprentice he had to apply for an exemption to twenty one, when his training was due to end. He was annoyed he had to take a day off work to register and loose a days pay, why couldnt they organise it for an evening, when they wouldnt require time off work?


The man at the desk gave him a form, Harry recognised him, the man who two years earlier has told him he could not be an electrician "Fill this in then go and sit over there" Harry looked where the man was pointing and at some other boys sitting at some desks writing on the forms.

'There is a queue he thought I will sit over there and fill in the form and jump a few places'

Name, Date of birth, Present address, Qualifications, Employment, Employers address, Fathers name, Employment, Mothers Name, Employment, Which is your prefered service, Are you applying for an exemption.

His turn came he handed the form over

"You want to go in the Air Force? "Yes sir" "You will go where the tell you, The Navy are recuiting just now, Exemption! You will be lucky no excemptions just now they want extra men, Yes you can be a sailor, you can go nowyou will receive your call up instructions within three weeks"

'Still knows best - he thinks. It isnt up to him he just hands out the forms, every one who is on a course of instruction has a right to an exeption: I wonder if he recognised me from leaving school or is he always like that?


A letter duly arrived. 'was it his calling up papers?

No he was exempted to Twenty one. 'Good three more years to get on with my life,




© 2019 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on September 23, 2019
Last Updated on September 23, 2019


Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing