Maurice

Maurice

A Story by Wild Rose
"

Wartime story

"
Maurice

Maurice was the chargehand to our group.
He was always calm even during emergencies
When I had to attend to a situation where there could be an explosion, he ensured that I was calm and in control of my emotions “Keep your mind on the job in hand and don’t think about the possible outcomes” 

One day when discussing the past one guy said don’t you know Maurice's past no I didn’t
Maurice has a ‘Distinguished Service Medal’. He was a one-man submarine pilot. Three times he went up the Norwegian fjords, to plant explosives to German shipping.

On his last trip, He was dropped off from a submarine at night three miles off the Norwegian coast, just after sunset. He made his way to the shore then began to look for a safe place to hole up for the day.   He had a map y towards the anti-submarine net with a few possible places marked from information passed by the Norwegian resistance, he had been trained to read a map using a dim blue light.
He found a spot just before dawn, the area was full of scrub and small bushes, there were bushes by the water's edge with overhanging branches. The only thing was that there was a German camp just behind.

He manoeuvred his craft under the tree branches and found himself a hollow and settled down to wait for darkness to return.

Late in the afternoon, a party of German troops made their way along a path behind; they had some dogs with them. He prepared his knife ready, should one of the dogs catch his scent and give the game away. No, they passed noisily on their way.

It was a busy fjord with military; freight and fishing boats passing during the day

As the light faded, he prepared to set out on his mission. 
He had twenty-four limpet mines in pockets either side of him. He checked the timers, they had a two-hour fuse; he had to switch them on as he attached them to each ship, the timers were not accurate, that meant they would go off haphazardly, creating the maximum confusion.

Now it was dark enough for him to move out from his hiding place, and slowly make his way upstream keeping close to the sides. As he entered the narrowest part of the fjord, he saw lights; 
    
He didn’t remember anything on the maps or resonance photos of anything in this area, an anti-submarine net had been installed; he would have to cut his way through.

He put on his breathing apparatus and made to dive when a ship appeared, he could see the navigation lights and the dim light of the control room, it could be a warship, they would lower the net for her to pass through.
As the ship passed, he dived and moved alongside and followed her through.

He began to work round the little harbour setting two limpets to the larger ships and one each for two smaller boats which looked like patrol boats. The one he had followed in was, in fact, a destroyer, it was now tied up, he planted his last two limpet on that. Now to escape.

Still submerged he made his way towards the anti-submarine net. One of the ships he had mined earlier had set sail. He waited and followed it through the net.

Once clear he pulled across to the side. 
As he reached the side the first mine exploded followed a minute or so later by the second one. He could now hear further explosions from the harbour area. 
The stricken ship veered across the fjord, tipping over on its side as it sank, blocking the way for any ship except the two disabled patrol boats.

Now to find a safe place to hide, he looked down close to the mouth of the fjord. He saw an old dilapidated boathouse. It was in an isolated spot and would take his craft.

Once inside he broke radio silence to send a single two-word message “Happy Birthday”.

He listened for the reply “Aunty is 24 God bless her” meaning his get-away submarine would be out at sea looking for his signal from 22.00hours for four hours. If he hadn’t made contact by 02.00hrs they would leave and he would be left to his own resources.

As it got dark he made his way to a prearranged headland. 
He scanned to open sea for a sign of his transport,
A faint steady blue light; 
He couldn’t tell the distance, using his blue light sent out a Morse Code ‘V’ (three one-second flashes followed by one three-second flash) a wait of five seconds and the ‘V’ was returned.
Then the blue light remained on to guide him.

Once at the awaiting submarine willing hands pulled him aboard, he was whisked away below decks to the ‘officers mess room’ given, a change of clothes and a warm meal.

His mini-submarine had been hauled aboard and taken into the hold, the submarine submerged and made its way for home.

Nearer home they surfaced stopping out at sea off the Northumberland coast a motor launch came out to pick him up, A second boat came for the one-man submarine, that was loaded onto a Royal Navy truck and covered with a tarpaulin and whisked away

Maurice was taken to a Royal Marine base near Edinburgh for debriefing. 
The reconnaissance photos showed the fjord completely blocked for large boats and only small fishing boats still untouched.

Wild Rose
December 2019  

© 2019 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of my best friends in high school was "Maurice", so this title drew me in. Whereas my Maurice was turned down from joining the military, the one in this story is quite the hero, it seems. Do you know how his sub was powered? Battery or engine? Also, is it true? Whatever the case, I enjoyed reading.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

No I have no idea about the engine;
I can vaguely remember them being introduced from the cin.. read more
augustus

4 Years Ago

Helping to set the record straight, the one man mini subs were powered by a battery.



Reviews

A super adventure story. Well written and a joy to read. Thank you, Wild Rose!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

The thanks are really to the man who told me Maurice's story, so that I could write it
Pleas.. read more
I never usually read stories based on War, it was your title Maurice’ that caught me! I did find this a very interesting story and I’m so glad they noisy dogs didn’t alert to his whereabouts!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Katrina Mckeown

4 Years Ago

That sounds like it will be epic! Very excited for you will you be publishing your Novel outside Wri.. read more
Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Very much still in the writing/ research stage
Katrina Mckeown

4 Years Ago

That’s fine I understand, it can take decades to finish a novel, I have patience I can wait lol . .. read more
Quite frankly, I could care less about the details of war & I would never otherwise read about them. But this is the most mesmerized I've ever been, reading about a war situation. Your writing is so clear & logical & compelling, adding all the necessary details to paint a fulsome scene, but not overdoing anything that would slow down the pace. I found myself in the flippers of this guy, imagining what a hair-raising assignment this must've been! Definitely one of your best stories! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Thank you Margie, I appreciate that not every one is interested in war, I was three YO when the war.. read more
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

In the movie "English Patient" there's a scene where an Indian man disarms a bomb & that kinda sets .. read more
Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

In my case I knew how the system worked and all the possible faults
Check for water in the ai.. read more
I'm interested to know how you came up with the idea to write this. Marice, a man with nerves of steel. I get the feeling this is not fictitious.
You had me worried for him the whole way through. You have presented the story in a very factual manner, which, I guess, is how Maurice would look at his job, step by step. You painted great visuals in my mind the whole way through.

The only thing I thought was - we know from the outset that everythig turns out well for Marice - perhaps fo a bit of suspense you could rearrange it so the reader is uncertain of events unfolding.

I enjoyed this very much X

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Thank you > Yes it is a story of a friend I knew
Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Well yes we knew he had returned > He was my chargehand - We worked in a chemical factory as Instrum.. read more
One of my best friends in high school was "Maurice", so this title drew me in. Whereas my Maurice was turned down from joining the military, the one in this story is quite the hero, it seems. Do you know how his sub was powered? Battery or engine? Also, is it true? Whatever the case, I enjoyed reading.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

No I have no idea about the engine;
I can vaguely remember them being introduced from the cin.. read more
augustus

4 Years Ago

Helping to set the record straight, the one man mini subs were powered by a battery.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 10, 2019
Last Updated on December 10, 2019

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw


THE REUNION THE REUNION

A Story by Dave


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


Roots Roots

A Poem by Chris Shaw