4 Birth of an empire 4 moving on

4 Birth of an empire 4 moving on

A Chapter by Wild Rose

Birth of an Empire 4 Moving on

20 June 2020

10:29

During January and February the weather was atrocious. With heavy snow and strong winds, there were snow drifts everywhere, no road was free of them. Long distance coaches were getting stuck every day, as soon as one was dug out another would be marooned on another road. Elizabeth and Martha were taken into Hawes for work in one of the farm carts, pulled by their heavy dray horse; Arthur and John both went on the cart, just in case they met up with drifts on the way in. The evening trip was not too bad, the day traffic, although light kept the road sufficiently clear.

On the farm Arthur and Ebenezer were constantly going round to check on the flock, digging out those that had become buried as they sheltered from the biting wind.

Mid February the snow stopped and a thaw set in, rivers were full. The river Ure had overflowed in several places flooding many fields and the road in several places up to two or three foot deep

---------------------------------------------------

As the weather and travel conditions improved, a message from Joshua. Holdroyd's had put extra men on the building site. The buildings for the yarn cleaning and preparations were now completed and the equipment chosen by Percival would be ready for delivery shortly, those for the other works were also close to completion, spinning machines and looms were on order. He had made contact with the local 'Engineers Guild', who were looking forwards to meeting with Percival and Ebenezer to discuss their manpower requirements

Their new homes would be ready within a few weeks. Could Percival and Ebenezer come down, They could stay with Joshua and Beatrix for the time being.

They travelled down second Monday in March

John took them into Hawes to catch the morning coach for Northallerton; picking up passengers in Leyburn and Bedale on the way.

There were flooded fields on both sides "Going to be sometime before they can get onto most of this land" Ebenezer; Percival agreed and commented "I hope the land we are on doesn't flood like this"

Ebenezer replied "No I think the sides looked fairly deep and then they have added some hardcore for the paving, so it is fairly deep"

Northallerton developed on the junction of several major routes: North to Darlington and further north; South to Leeds, Doncaster and over the Pennines into Manchester, onto Liverpool and the docks; Also to York, Hull and the docks: West Through the Yorkshire Dales to Carlisle and on to the Irish docks at Stranraer or north to Glasgow.

Coaching stations were placed around the large cobbled market square. The Leeds coach was already waiting, the were loading passengers luggage. "Where are you heading" asked the driver "Leeds, then either Batley or Dewsbury" Percival replied "Right no change for you, Could you pass your bags up please"

From Northallerton, they went through farmland, a few farmers were back on their land making preparations for sowing seed. They stopped in the Market square outside the Cathedral in Ripon, where they dropped one passenger. The next stop was on the Stray in Harrogate, where the other passenger disembarked; leaving Ebenezer and Percival with the space to themselves.

When they arrived in Batley, market square they took a hired cab to the Stubley's home in Upper Batley.

Tuesday and Wednesday was planned as time in the mill amongst the building material and workmen. Measuring and recording each space and the entrances to them, so that they could plan for the new equipment'

As they entered the main door they were me by a man emerging from the door leading to Mill House; soon to be Ebenezer and Mary's home, he locked the door behind him "Can I help you gentlemen?

P "Yes I am Percival Ward and this is Ebenezer Worth, we will be moving several items of heavy equipment in shortly for Mr Stubley, we would like to view and take measurements of the space and access to it, so that we can make plans, Should we use this main entrance, or we are given to understand there is another entrance somewhere"

Man "Yes sir, go ahead, but please be aware that we have several gangs of building workers around and take care, If you need any help, please seek me out and I will help if possible"

They were give free reign to any where unimpeded

On their walk around they manged to meet with the site engineer from Holdroyd's

P "Hello! I am Percival Ward, this is Ebenezer Worth, we are the engineer and production manager for the mill; when it is ready, actually we are on the point of moving down from Hawes in Wensleydale, and hopefully installing and commissioning the new machines"

EH "I am Edward Holdroyd Pleased to meet with you, What were you doing up in Hawes?

E "I was a hill farmer and Percival was a blacksmith, but we were struggling with falling sales, at least I was, and Joshua, that is Mt Stubley; came up with an offer that sounded too good to miss"

EH "It, sounds good, as you say, but giving up your life like that to take on a new venture, what if it didn't take off in the way you expected it to do?

P "That is all taken care of, just as Joshua is keeping his sales lines active and adding the mill products to his portfolio, we both have sons and daughters ready to take over; in fact they have already made plans to bring it up to date the daughters specially they work in town, one an accountant, the other a solicitor, between them they have secured their and our futures in the farm and forge; What we need now is to find some reliable workers"

EH "If you need a few bodies to move things just give a shout, I have plenty of able bodied men around hereto call on, Have you been to the mechanics institute? They have a list of reliable workers and act as a go between for employers and workers"

P "Joshua has mentioned them, they meet on a Wednesday evening, we were going to go tomorrow"

EH "Just in passing, watch that doorman of yours; he seems a shifty character, and he is often late in the mornings, we can be locked out for half an hour or more, the lads get shirty over it, but there is nothing I can do, He just comes back that he works for Mr Stubley"

P "Be there in the morning, we will be there at seven o'clock sharp, he seems to have something in Mill House, where we are going to live that he keeps locked up, I will get him to hand over the keys, or he will be sacked on the spot then I will need all the locks changing"

EH "That is a date then, we will back you up"

Next morning Percival (wearing his work clothes of heavy boots, thick leather trousers, work shirt and a loose jacket he had with him a heavy, leather tool bag) and Ebenezer, turned up outside the mill at five minutes to seven to join the contractors.

It was thirty five minutes after seven when the doorman turned up.

P "You are late, this door should be open before seven o'clock"

Doorman "I don’t start until eight o'clock"

P "You were taken on and paid as a night watchman, you should just be finishing now; we were with Mr & Mrs Stubley last night, I am Mr Ward, the chief engineer and responsible for security; Mr Worth is the production manager, give Mr worth your keys.

Door man "I will give the keys to no-one except Mr Stubley, you will have to wrestle me to the ground to get them"

Percival looked at Ebenezer, who nodded his head and took over Percival’s tool bag.

Then Percival took hold of the doorman's jacket by the lapels, then twisted it so it was held tight in his fist and lifted the doorman off the ground

P "There will be no wrestling, or any other fighting: you will hand over the keys, al of them, otherwise you will be out of work; You have cost us too much already, these men are working for subcontractors, keeping the locked out has lost them hours of work time which we are paying for; you will do exactly as I say or I will lock you out for good. Under stood?

The doorman choked yes.

Percival lowered him back to his feet "You will remain in my sight at all times I will need someone to carry my tools for me; pick up my tool bag"

The keys were handed over to Ebenezer who opened the door and all filed in; Edward Holdroyd hung back "I have some locks if you want me to change them, the ones removed can go back into stock and new keys made, for use elsewhere, where should we begin?

P "Start with the Mill House doors, he has something stored in there and we want it all clean ready to be fitted out next week, then Engineers and the front doors, meanwhile we do need a night watchman we can trust"

EH "I will have two by tonight, after all it is only our equipment in there now"

P "Thanks, Oh Is there any chance you could make a desk for the doorman's room?

EH "We have joiners on site the desk will be no problem and two high chairs so that they can see over the desk into the lobby, we should have a sketch of one for them to work with; oh how did you manage to lift him single handed like that?

P "Thirty years of bashing hot iron as a blacksmith, builds up your muscles"

EH “Remind me not to get on your wrong side”

P “You will be alright, my son used a small, for us, hand mallet to rind the bell on one of those side shows, Nobody had managed to ring the bell with a two handed sledge hammer, he rang it twice with left and right hand”

Percival set out across the site to inspect the back gate, Doorman carrying the heavy tool bag, then around the several buildings where he was made to move rubbish into piles ready for removal; paper and card in one pile, one for bits of wood and timber another for metallic objects, which could be useful later.

They called in at the contractors office which had been set up in the rooms set aside for the steam engine and boiler rooms.

P "You look to be comfortable in here, we may have to move you into the main building, no rush just now, but we have a boiler and steam engine on order, stay where you are for now, but we should look to move you over"

EH "I have two night watchmen, starting tonight, do you need anything else? Oh that little job has been completed"

P "Thanks. We have separated rubbish into piles with a few bits of wood and metal which may come in useful, years of practise, of reclaiming and saving useful bits and bobs, They are OK where they are for now. I will have the paper waste collected and burnt"

Returning back to the main entrance, it was now half past four o'clock; they had not had any break, only a pot of cool tea with the contractors; Percival wanted to have a look in Mill House without Doorman knowing, what was it that had to be locked away? Doorman would be totally unaware of the lock changes. He was sent on his way with instructions to be there by eight o'clock on Thursday

__________________________________________________

He called Ebenezer and together they opened the door to mill house.

The room was piled with unopened boxes

P "Lets see what else there is" Each room contained more boxes

E "Open one up and see what they hold"

The first box held bottles of French wine. In other rooms were found: Tobacco; French Brandy; more tobacco and wines

P "This looks like a smugglers hoard, best we call the police"

E "We can leave this until tomorrow, if we call them now they will keep us all night"

P "Tomorrow; we can be here before seven, I can leave you here while I go round to the police station, best keep it to ourselves until we have told them.

Joshua had got the meeting place and times for the new Mechanics Institute and the names of secretary and chairman, the meeting night was Wednesdays in the community rooms of a local chapel

They entered the hall, two doors off to each side of the entrance lobby and a double door straight ahead.

They entered the room; The room was set out as if for a meeting; a group of three were standing on the stage.

P "It looks like a meeting is about to start"

One of the men left the stage and came over "Can I help you/ this is a meeting of the Mechanics Institute"

E "Oh that's good, we were looking for you. You see Percival I can navigate in a town, then to the man "I am Ebenezer Worth hill farmer, hand loom weaver; and this is Percival Ward, blacksmith and repairer of farming equipment; we are from Wensleydale near Hawes, we are moving here to work in Stubley's new mill and are looking to employ skilled workers: we were hoping you would be able to help recruit men and women"

Man from stage "I am George Goodman Secretary for the Mechanics Institute, So you are working at Stubley's then, and looking to employ a few workers, If you can determine, how many, what skills the will need and when; we will be able to help you; also with employment issues such as pay scales, hours of work and such like, we are a sort of go-between for employers and workers; One issue we have is employment of children and education, we run education courses in the evenings, from basic writing and arithmetic to negotiation skills; I must go and begin the meeting; you are welcome to stay, until the end when you can meet with our chairman"

They were welcomed to the meeting as visitors from Hawes in Wensleydale a blacksmith and hill farmer, who were hoping to settle in the area.

Following the meeting Mr Goodman came over with the chairman "This is Mr Longshanks, Harold, our chairman, You said you were recruiting workers, what sort and how many?

P "How many, at present we have no idea, It is so new a project, we are awaiting delivery of scouring, combing and carding machines. Then spinning and dyeing; mixing colours and fibres, then on to the looms and finishing equipment. Just now it is labourers. What we will need is for them to be literate and numerate. I am looking for people with mechanical skills; Ebenezer for loom tuners, people to operate the various machines, weavers. I have concerns over the use of young children, I do keep wondering about part time for them with half day being schooled, so we could find eventually that all our workers would be literate and numerate. We don't hold with the idea that if they are one minute late they are locked out for the day. We would loose their output which is far greater than the lose of a few minutes work time. We are installing time clocks, so that if they are late they loose say fifteen minutes pay. I think we will be looking for a new doorman tomorrow"

He then told them about the find in Mill House

Mr Longshanks "I think we could have just the man for you; He is a retired guards sergeant major and at present looking for something to do, I think the job as doorman would suit him, could I, we bring him round?

P "Yes just call in, bring him with you, so that we can have a word with him"

---------------------------------------------

Percival went to the police station at six thirty, to report what they had discovered he had to give basic details, then a short wait.

He went through the details of how they came to be now working there to the officer, when they had moved down and changing the locks and the discovery. Then, went on how the doorman had been employed as night watchman and that he was told to report at eight o'clock, but would be taken of to other work, accompanied by Ebenezer and as last night they had two of Holdroyd's employees as night watchmen, as the only items worth anything belonged to them and their sub contractors. He requested that the visit with plain clothes men, they wouldn't look out of place as they were looking to install a time clock in the entrance.

Two men were selected and accompanied Percival back to the mill.

Meanwhile Ebenezer had arrived at the mill to find nobody standing outside, the door unlocked, inside the two watchmen had found a table and two chairs.

He aske had it been a quiet night "No" one of them replied "About two o'clock we heard someone banging on the front door, we came over using two lanterns we could hear the talking so crept into here and looked trough the window, three men with a flat cart with boxes on. The stood around for about an hour, we listened at the door aging and caught - he should be here waiting - we will have to get the stuff out and come back later with more men"

E "Can you write that down for me - we will have to get an incident book for you - Percival should be here soon and I hope he will have some people with him - something we found last night - do you think you could hang on for a while? I think they would be interested in what you have told me and better to tell them here rather than at your home or lodgings"

Percival arrived back at the mill with his two companions at a quarter to eight. Ebenezer met him "I have something to tell you; or, rather these two night watchmen have, let us first open the door to Mill House, then go across into the main building and watch what happens. Can we deal with the night watchmen first; then they can get off home for some shut eye?

The night watchmen related what they had seen and heard and showed their written report. The doorman entered the entrance lobby and saw the open door to Mill House; after a quick look around he entered the down stairs had not been disturbed, so he made his way upstairs. The group in the main building followed. The doorman saw the opened boxes; tuned on his heels and ran down the steps; into the hands of the waiting CID officers

"Where are you going to in such a hurry?

"I, err, took the wrong turning"

"What is up there to give you such a fright? Let us take a look; After you please"

They went back up the stairs; the officers took a look at the open boxes

"Now, what have we here, it looks like the storage place for quite a large establishment: Like a hotel for instance"

"Yes, that's what it must be, I don't know how it got here the door has always been locked"

P "You had the keys, all of them, I was told to wrestle you to the ground to get them"

CID "And did your wrestle him to the ground Mr Ward? Isn't it?

P "Yes, Ward, No I didn't have to wrestle with him, I took the weight off his feet"

CID "You took the weigh off his feet? I don't understand"

P "Like this" Percival took hold of the doorman's jacket and lifted him off the ground again. One of the watchmen chipped in

Watchman "Yes we were all locked out Mr Ward said he was the engineer and in charge of security, he went on about they were loosing money because our firm was locked out"

CID "That is an impressive lift, and did you get the keys?

P "No we didn't get the keys. I have been a blacksmith and farrier all my life; hammering hot metal builds muscle and strength"

CID "Right I think we have done enough here, we will take you with us, we have further questions to ask, will that be alright with you Mr ward?

P "Yes alright by me, we had no work for him today and was planning to send him home"

CID "I may need to have word with you later Mr Ward, where can we find you?

P "You can find us here or failing that you could leave a message with MR & Mrs Stubley at their home address"

The doorman was duly taken away to be questioned and charged

P to the two night watchmen, "Thank you, I will go over and find Edward; Mr Holdroyd and tell him you will need some overtime pay and what has occurred"

Later during the afternoon one of the police officers called round, "Can we bring some men in here tonight 'sony' has coughed up and admitted his part in a smuggling ring, you place was very convenient and no security, they are expected to call round with a cart or two for the goods, We will leave them here for tonight just in case we are being watched if that's OK with you?

P "OK, by us we have to clear it out in the next week and get the place decorated. Furniture is expected for both here and Engineers House next week. Oh I was looking through some empty sheds yesterday, where are going to install the first equipment. There was what looked like old packing cases and boxes, wood, cardboard, metal; We have not had anything delivered as yet; they could be something to do with this job and could have names and addresses on, I will have them left for your lads to look over"

Policeman " See you for now gents we will keep in touch, we could need statements if there is to be a court hearing; let you know"

Later in the afternoon a gipsy cart entered the site by the Mill Lane entrance on the back was something covered with sheets it pulled up by the sheds awaiting the scouring equipment. Six men emerged from under the covers and went into the buildings; they began to search through the piles left by Percival, removing scraps containing any names, addresses or other information as to where it came from. When it had all been searched it was placed on the cart, covered with the tarpaulins, and the cart left; leaving behind the six men.

At six o'clock, as the contractors were heading from home, the six men emerged and mingling in with the home going workers individually made their way towards the exit. At the main door the went through the side door into the main building

Mr Goodman and Mr Longshanks came in with an elderly man, a bit stout but a military posture.

Goodman "This is ex Regimental Sergeant Major now Mr Green, Robert, he is looking for some employment, we think he could make a good doorman for you"

E "Well at present there will not be so much doorman work, there may be a bit of fetch and carry, we hope to have the real heavy work done by Percival's engineers when he gets set up, as now most will be done by the makers people as they install and test things; Oh I hope to have the scouring combing and drying and carding gear installed next week, we have a store shed with fleeces to sort through, then we will begin to build up a reserve stock for the dyers and spinners, as well as have a small amount to sell on"

P "We will eventually ask you to wear, well not a uniform; but, say one of our county jackets with trousers, made to fit; a way of showing off our products. If we wear other peoples clothes, it doesn't say much for ours, does it?

R "That sound alright, I don't mind a bit of fetching and carrying, I didn't fancy being one of those doormen you see outside the big London hotels, opening and closing doors and saluting; the uniform sounds more comfortable than the Coldstream Guards wear, more like my off duty ones, for now I will bring a coat down to wear when We are expecting to be welcoming visitors, otherwise I can have a pair of old guards coveralls if that's alright; just as you do not refer to me as sergeant major, when do you want me to start?

P "How does eight thirty next Monday sound, we could be beginning to bring in furniture for the houses; Mill House and Engineers.

The six men where waiting in the main building. One of the night watchmen saw the door slightly ajar and went to investigate. One of the men explained that they had information that some sort of raid was to be expected during the night.

"Is it something to do with those people last night?

"Yes it has"

"We will come back when we hear them and help you"

"Ebenezer and Percival are around somewhere"

It was two o'clock, when their was a knocking on the door and shouting

The night watchman called "Hello" from inside

"Is that you Joe?

"No Joe has broken his leg; a girl came round with some keys and told me to come round here. I'm Sam Wainwright"

Silence from outside; then

"OK Sam open the doors, then we can bring the cart in and get the stuff"

"OK" night watchman opened the doors.

Three men filed in, a forth one backed the horse and cart inside then pulled the doors shut.

All four were now in Mill House collecting the boxes; the opened ones had been removed so as not to give the game away.

As the boxes were being carried down Percival managed to unclip the horses reigns and uncouple it from the cart shafts.

One of the men saw what he had done; he picked a shaft of wood from the cart and ran towards Percival

Percival saw him coming and deflected the blow with his right forearm, then hit him in the face with his other arm; the man fell to the floor bleeding from nose and mouth; Percival got hold of him; pulled him upright, then took hold of the bottom of his jacket, pulled it upwards trapping his arms putting him out of action, the other two were soon overpowered. They were tied arms and legs, awaiting for the police to collect.

Next morning three men from the 'Customs and Excise' arrived at 09:00 "We are told you have some goods for us to collect"

E "You should have been here last night. We had a visit they were not expecting a welcome party. Our night watchman had been using an empty house as storage, while there was no supervision or security. He was taken for questioning the previous day, so we just arranged a welcoming. Some of the goods are out there on the cart, the rest is still in the storerooms for you"

CE "Can we use your Horse and cart?

Ebenezer had a thought if the cart now belongs to nobody we can claim it as ours, it is a shambles but Percival could work on it; Joseph is working for a coach building firm and works on wheels as a wheelwright; it could look so smart when it is finished, we could use it ourselves or just sell it on "Well yes you could use the cart, we have no se for it just now; the horse was taken away by the police. We don't know where that came from. We would just hire one for the day

CE "Could you show us to the goods, so we can see what there is?

E " Yes follow me" He led them up stairs and showed the three rooms "This and that downstairs and on the cart is all there is. There were some open boxes, but they seem to have been taken. I think the police mentioned evidence, We are expecting some carpets and furniture as from Monday if you could get it cleared"

CE "We want it all out today, We can try the police to see if we can get the horse, or a local farmer"

E "Sounds good best of luck"

The cart was returned at 5:30 pm Ebenezer took them down to a patch of bare ground "Park it up here we will be giving it a facelift shortly, until then it will be alright here. Thanks"

Percival was not too sure about Ebenezer's thoughts as to the carts use 'When will we have time to spare to work on it, but who does it belong to? Leave it there out of the way for now'

--------------------------------------------------

They spent the weekend cleaning out both houses, in readiness for Monday when decorators were expected to begin work painting walls and woodwork; then floor coverings, followed by the furniture and their families.

The work at Mill House extended to the large room directly off the entrance, which would be a multi purpose room. A large table was planned, for a Board/Committee Meeting; a place where trade people could wait; or possibly by the family for special occasions.

Then the timekeeper/doorman's room and entrance lobby.

Monday morning, Robert Green arrived at eight thirty. "Robert Green reporting for duty, gentlemen"

P "Ah Mr Green, I think you are a bit too smart today we have decorators in, painting walls and woodwork anything which doesn't move, then we will have some floor covering, followed by furniture. So for the next few days you may like to dress down, and, or if you have one a smock, brown, white whatever, we are not expecting any important visitors just yet any way, are you far from home, you may wish to go and change. Oh you may use first names with us when we are being informal"

R "I anticipated that there may be some sort of work for a while, so I have a change of clothes in here" indicating his holdall

P "Can we leave you here to change and lets say they do your office first then on to the Boardroom, I think it would be better to do the entrance lobby in the afternoon, people can leave by the main gate.

The decorators arrived at nine thirty, Robert started them off in the office as instructed, suggesting they then work in the bedrooms of Mill House; he then collected a box of assorted keys which had been left on the floor in the proposed kitchen, his task now was to find the relevant lock attach labels to them.

It was mis afternoon. A cart pulled up outside on Bradford Road, Its load covered with a tarpaulin sheet. Robert met the driver "I have a machine for a firm called Stubley's"

R "I will go and find Mr Ward. I think he will want it at the Mill Road entrance. Wait here while I go and find him, then I will come round with you"

Percival said he would open the Mill Road gates, ready for when they got round

P "Now what have we got"

D "Part of a carding machine sir"

The driver pulled out some planks to make a ramp, and a few pipes to use as rollers.

Robert went off in search of Edward Holdroyd to request a few men to assist, mean while the cart had been positioned outside the shed where it was going to live.

Once the machine was positioned the driver said he would first need to see to his horse and then find a bed for the night

Robert has been missing when the hard work was going on "I have found some bedding and food for your horse, we have a stables amongst the outbuildings, Also I have made temporary arrangements for your night stay with a Mrs Owens. , I will escort you round to her when your horse is settled"

Next morning George Goodman dropped in Robert met him at the door, dressed in his working clothes "Good morning Mr Goodman, how may I help you"

"Good morning Robert I was just passing and dropped in to see how you are getting on, You look ready for some hard work, not a doorman. While I am here could I have a word with Mr Percival or Mr Ebenezer?

"Yes sir, would you like to accompany me' or would you prefer to wait here, while I bring them to you?

"It looks like there is much work going on, perhaps you could take me to them"

"Mr Percival it is then, Mr Ebenezer is attending to the decorators"

They found Percival in the engine room clearing out the space in readiness for the new steam engine

"Mr Goodman for you Mr Percival"

"I was just passing and thought I would call and see how things are going, also to see how the new doorman is going, do you think he will fit in?

"He is very much like an RSM, avoiding the hard work (Robert looked taken aback) We were moving some heavy machinery, and he dodged out of the heavy work; returning when we had done with bedding and food for a horse and accommodation for the driver.

Like a good RSM he didn't wait to be told what was required, he just did what was necessary at the time, Yes he will do admirably"

R "Thank you Mr Percival, I will be in a better outfit, once the hard work an decorating is over, The decorator will be finished in the front office by the end of today So we can begin to fit it out tomorrow, your bedrooms are also close to finishing, will there be anything else Mr Percival?

"No thank you Robert"

P "Mr Goodman, We are going to require a few mechanically minded men shortly, Ones who dont mind heavy work to move items into place and assemble them; They may have to operate the equipment while we train up other staff. Any way the people who do the repairs do need to know how the equipment works."

----------------------------------------------

The driver who had brought the carding machine Came to collect his horse and cart "I will be returning tomorrow with the rest of the machine and a couple of men to assemble it and if you have any prepared wool, they will show you how it works"

"No we wont have any prepared wool, we are waiting for the equipment"

"They will have to arrange for them to return once you are set up"

Percival and Robert left the driver to sort out his gear and set off for home. They arrived at the entrance "Can we get some linoleum for the floor, then there should be a desk and two stools in the construction joinery area. You will then be set up, with the exception of any home comforts you may like to add"

They inspected the rooms in Mill House and Engineers. In both houses the bedroom floors had been sanded smooth and stained a dark walnut colour "Right" said Percival. "Floor covering, then furniture and family, would you care for an assistant? Ebenezer has a seventeen year old who will be looking for work, I thought he could work with you, get him used to being told what to do and find his way around the works, then he could move on to other departments. He should then be able to take over any department."

R "That sounds like a good plan for him. Do you want me to call the people to measure for floor covering. Do you have any firm in mind?

P "No I have no firm in mind. Just as long as they can give a quick service. Use your negotiating skills, you will know the local firms far better than me. But why not give Mrs Stubley's emporium in Dewsbury a shot first, we have an account there."

Half an hour later, Robert came to say a man from "J and B's" was on his way with a sample book measure and order book.

J&B "We are supplying all the furniture and fittings, Sir, so do you want that I time the delivery? Say upstairs flooring then furniture, stair carpets and down stairs flooring followed by the furniture? One week for both houses"

P "Excellent. Go ahead"

Robert came in "Mr Longshanks called in sir; Could yo go to the meeting tonight, there are a few men returning to the area, they have been working with a railway construction team excavating a tunnel, he thinks they may be of interest at least on a short term while we have heavy work installing new equipment"

Mr longshanks came over to them as they entered the meeting room "I have six men here they may be of interest; they are ex miners and have been working for a construction firm excavating a tunnel.(They walked across the room to where six men were seated) Here they are; Mr Ward and Mr Worth, gentle men"

P "So you have been working as track layers? What brings you back here? You wont get anywhere near the wages in this area"

Tunneller "We were working on a tunnel; they are building two tunnels and a viaduct; We left because they refused to listen when we told them the work place was unsafe" Another man took over "We had been telling them we needed more materials to shore up the roof; It wasn't safe and we expected a roof fall; they told us to get on with it, and do what we were paid for; two of our lads went in after they had been hit with their walking sticks. The roof collapsed and they were buried. Then they told us to get on, one of the men hit Joe with his stick. Joe took the stick off him and broke it in two, then the others began to strike at us; a scuffle broke out and one of the men fell against the only support; the roof fell down burying them all. We were given a warning and told to get on. The men working on the other tunnel walked out as well over the safety. We decided that it wasn't worth the money; not when men were being killed; Its not as if we were unskilled workers, we have worked in the mines for years. from boys. So we are now looking for work"

P "I; We, cannot meet with the wages for construction workers, we do need some men to move heavy machinery, and possibly permanent jobs as general engineers, building and such, if that interests you"

E "There could be, there jobs, operating, or, servicing the equipment once it is installed"

Tunneller "That sounds alright, can we begin with helping you to install the machines and see how it goes, when do you want us, we are out of work now?

E "Turn up tomorrow morning and have a look, bring your lunch, I can find you work moving furniture"

The six men were there when they opened the door next morning.

Also cart with part of the wool scouring machine.

E "I will take the cart to Mill Lane, if you go via Engineers with the men and collect the gear you will need, then meet us near the shed.

Working together they set up planks to form a ramp then controlling the machine with ropes from behind lowered it to the ground onto scaffolding pole rollers moved it into place; then commenced to connect it to the water and drain. Then after checking the water system worked connected the gas supply for the water heater; the paddles to move the fibres up the channel were coupled to a waterwheel in the stream.

Now they filled the system with water, turned on the gas and spread the greasy fibres in to begin the process.

Percival watched how they worked together.

When He was satisfied he just said "You can hang your coats in the Engineers workshop"

"Does that mean we are hired mister? One asked

P "Dont be late in the morning; yes"

E "We can begin to prepare some yarn now. We can wash the yarn and sort out the coloured and soiled bits for a start"

The dried fibres were to be placed into large, wheeled storage containers; there was more clean white, than coloured rejects, these were stored for use later; The clean white fibres were passed onto the dyers.

Now that they had clean dry fibres the dyers could begin to build a colour collection, which could be repeated time after time.

Percival set the six engineers to install a line shaft arrangement, with its pulleys and belts; to take the power from the new steam engine into the weaving and spinning areas.

Robert reported that all the work was completed and furniture delivered, and arranged as instructed, and was now awaiting the ladies.

Percival said that he and Ebenezer would go and collect them, that would take a few days.

They would leave him in charge, the engineers should have sufficient work to keep them going and those working on the scouring plant should have more than enough

Any problems with the machines he could call on the engineers. Anything else to call on Mrs Stubley if he couldn't handle it; or put it off until they returned in a few days time.

Mr & Mrs Stubley had said they could use their coach and driver, when the time came.

Friday they left for Hawes

The journey to Hawes was uneventful

Back home it was time to pack their clothes. "Yes we have wardrobes and drawers, Also a bathroom with a flushing toilet, connected to the sewers

Next morning Elizabeth asked David if he would like a walk to stretch his legs "John from the forge will come with us, I am taking my dogs; we want to have a look at a flock on Cotter Riggs"

David agreed "I have not seen much of this area, and it has always been from my driving seat"

Hawthorn and Sloe bushes; the track was wide enough for two coaches to pass, but the surface was of the dark blue-grey slate dust from a local mine, with tufts of grass growing here and there, an indication to the amount of traffic it carried. For even though is was a connection between two counties, it was across high open moorland, with steep hills with only remote farms on the way, not a place to get stuck in say a horse threw a shoe or a wheel hit a rock and split its rim.

Crossing the pack horse bridge across the fledgling River Ure, just a small stream now, but heavy rain over the moors and hills could turn it into a raging torrent two foot deep across the road.

"Don't the repair the road around here? David asked John replied

"It is up to each village to repair them, we just do the village and the road to Hawes, nobody from the village comes this way often, well not in a carriage any way"

They got to Cotter Rigg; Elizabeth and John said it would be safer for David to wait by the gate as he only had town shoes with smooth soles "We wont be long; just checking everything is in order" They took different routes, meeting up and returning together over the hill top.

"Have we been long?

"I didn't notice, I was too engrossed looking at all the tiny flowers, we dont see that many in our streets"

J "We have a bit of time to spare,, and I haven't been out of the forge for some time, shall we go to Hardraw and show David the Force, let him see some of the country sights"

They turned down the lane where John had waited with Patch, along the track between waist high drystone walls, at the entrance to the force Elizabeth said "It could be a bit muddy and rough in places, so just watch where you put your feet; the mud can be cleaned off once we get home"

At the Green Dragon Inn David ordered drinks, "We will collect them after we go to show our visitor the force" said John

"Right Mr Ward" Replied the bar tender

They walked the single file track along the gorge

David asked how high is it was

"About 120ft I think" replied Elizabeth, "Let' go behind, no you don't get wet"

David followed Elizabeth behind the screen of water "this is the first real waterfall I have seen I have always lived in town, Batley that is, and there is nothing like this there: I have travelled with the Stubley's as coach driver, but we never see the places, we have to see to the horses, feed them, groom them, and stay by them waiting for our passengers to return: At some places there is a drivers canteen area & some drivers will sit in their coaches smoking, I don't smoke, Mrs Stubley say it is a disgusting habit, that leaves the rooms smelling of stale smoke, I will sit inside if it's cold or raining, I may get up here a few times when your families make the journey"

E "I know we are lucky to live here, you can come any time you can and bring your family"

Back at the farm, the coach had been checked over for the return journey by Joseph, and horse checked over by Ebenezer, Percival had looked at the shoes, all were sound and intact.

Early Sunday morning they brought out their bags David stacked them on the roof, securing them with straps.

They set out on their journey back to Batley, after messages of love and wisher for the future. It being Sunday there was no other vehicles on the road except an occasional church goer, most families walking as a group, and an occasional single person.

Their route took them to Leyburn, but with no stop, they passed straight down the market Square with the cobbles, backed by the grey stone walled houses and shops turning right at the bottom of the hill, passed the ruins of the Cistercian Jervaulx Abbey; the road now ran trough forested land into Ripon and Harrogate. After a short stop on the Stray in Harrogate, They turned off right to the village of Otley, then up Chevin End. They entered The town of Bradford via the cobbled Canal Road into the town square. Taking the Wakefield road flanked by newly built factory workers homes to Tong Cemetery then back roads and lanes to Upper Batley

It was evening when they arrived at the Stubley's home.

They are met by Joshua and Beatrix

B "Do you want to stay here the night then go down to the mill and get yourselves settled in tomorrow, when you are refreshed; I can make you a meal now"

Mary "Yes that would be best, thank you"



© 2020 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

16 Views
Added on August 15, 2020
Last Updated on September 2, 2020


Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing