The account system sales man

The account system sales man

A Story by Wild Rose
"

Intended for use in Birth of an empire

"

The  Accounts System Sales man

13 August 2020

16:01

Frank was working in the entrance lobby giving it a morning spruce up, when a man came in, He was wearing a much used dark grey suit, the trousers had not been pressed for some time, his white shirt had yesterdays collar, his neck tie looked like a regimental one, only the shoes had received any recent attention

"May I help you sir?

"I am here to see Mr Stubley"

"Do you have an appointment sir?

"No I was just passing, I am in the area for a few days and just dropped in"

"I am sorry sir Mr Stubley is not in yet. Could you tell me the nature of your business then I may be able to find someone to help"

"It is Mr Stubley I wish to speak to"

"Please wait here sir, I will bring Mr Green, my supervisor"

 

Robert had been in the adjacent office listening, Frank went to the door "Mr Green there is a gentleman here looking for Mr Stubley, could you see to him please?

"Yes sir you want Mr Stubley; I am afraid he is away on business and could be away for a few days, could I get some one else to help you?

"Could I speak to your office manager"

"Ah Mrs Stubley is the office manager, I will see if she has a moment or two for you"

"I don't do business with ladies"

"Ha! So there is Mr Worth or Mr Ward, the site managers; Frank could you stop what you were doing and find either Mr Worth or Mr Ward, please"

 

Frank went to find Percival; he was supervising the installation of some new equipment, Frank explained the problem

Back in the entrance lobby

"Good morning sir, How can I help you?

"I am here to give you a demonstration of our office management books and ledgers"

"Oh, You need to see Mrs Stubley, she oversees all the office work, and makes decisions on the books and things, I am the chief engineer"

"I dont deal with ladies, I wish to speak with Mr Stubley""

"I am sorry but I am unable to help; actually it is not Mr Stubley's remit to purchase office equipment, also Mr Stubley is away on business, If you cant, or wont deal with a lady we cannot help, we have over a hundred ladies working here, we have no discrimination., so it would be better if you did not call here again, that is until you have a change of heart; Good bye to you sir."

 

When the man had left Robert said "Excuse me Mr Percival, but do you think we should do as many other firms; a few in Bradford have just one day per week for sales people, and even then they require to make an appointment, cold callers are give the name of the buyer and told to make an appointment"

P " That sounds a good idea, we do want to see a few people, could you have a word with Mrs Stubley, see what she thinks"

R "I will do Mr Percival; I could use my judgment as to who could be allowed to 'just drop in' so to speak"

P "Why wait? We can begin that now, then tell he what we have decided, get Frank to make a card for the office window to the effect; say no salesmen without a prior appointment"

R "Right away Mr Percival"

 

Wild Rose

Aug 2020

© 2020 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Those were the days when a woman's place was still in the kitchen. Such discrimination. Mind there's still people about who expect the manager to be a man. I dealt with a few like that. Enjoyed your lines Wild Rose. Hope you and your lady are well.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

3 Years Ago

Thank you Christine. It fits into my story set in the 1830's - (somewhere) lots of stuff to fit in <.. read more



Reviews

Those were the days when a woman's place was still in the kitchen. Such discrimination. Mind there's still people about who expect the manager to be a man. I dealt with a few like that. Enjoyed your lines Wild Rose. Hope you and your lady are well.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

3 Years Ago

Thank you Christine. It fits into my story set in the 1830's - (somewhere) lots of stuff to fit in <.. read more


You can beat an egg, but you just cant beat a bit o bureaucracy, can ya & discrimination... well.. there ought to be a law agen it ............ an unexpected literary delight Wild Rose .. Stay safe n well now :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

3 Years Ago

Thank you Neville > I am writing a novel (sort of) this came up in my mind I must write it before it.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


You are most welcome Wild Rose.. and good luck with that novel ..

Neville

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 16, 2020
Last Updated on August 16, 2020

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing