Extract - New Years Day

Extract - New Years Day

A Story by Wild Rose
"

Extract from Birth of an empire

"

Extract

12 March 2022

14:18

1800 the family elders were planning a move to open a woollen textile mill

Elizabeth, an accountant; and John, a blacksmith. Were planning to stay and run the family businesses, along with their respective siblings; Arthur and Martha

 

Elizabeth and John were both, becoming more than just friendly neighbours.  

 

Elizabeth and John > The walk

"Yes that's a good idea; I will meet you about seven thirty, we will catch the first light; bring a sandwich and a drink."

 

 

Next morning (New Years Day) They met on the road outside Apperset Farm. Elizabeth had two dogs with her, Patch and Ruby. "Morning." She called.

"Are you bringing the dogs?" He asked.

"Yes, they, always come out for walks. they would pine if we didn't include them; they know the difference between work clothes and walking clothes, they are our work tools, and enjoy long walks whatever the weather."

They crossed the road to the snicket gate leading onto the fell side.

"Strike out to the right up the fellside." She said.

"But their is no path?" said John.

"No, not enough people come this way to wear a path, we just know where we are going and make our own way. I wont get us lost I may only be a girl; but I do know my way around. Just trust me and enjoy the trip." They pressed on, climbing higher, along the hill side. Nearing the top Elizabeth stopped. turning round she said to John.

“Come up alongside me then turn around."

"I was trying to get higher, but this will do; wait here and watch the sun rise over the dale. I think I nice to welcome the New Day and The New Year; as it rises across the dale."

 

 

Looking back down the valley all was in darkness. In the far distance the hills were a silhouette forming a line separating the darkness of night from to pink sky above

The pinkness was visibly getting brighter, and redder, where dark and bright met.

A pinpoint of yellow light appeared above the hills, growing by the second until a hemisphere of light spread, dim touches of light over high places ; hills, a church steeple, roofs of buildings.

It turned into a full bright disc; too bright for them to look at. The light was now spread right across the vale, all the remaining shadows melting into the light.

John who was now stood slightly lower than Elizabeth, looking down the valley. Turned towards her

"That was wonderful, it was like, watching a new day wake up. Thank you for bringing me up here to witness it happen."

In reply she pulled him towards her, took his head into her hands and kissed him on the cheek.

"What was that for he asked."

"I have wanted to give you a kiss, since you carried me off the fell side, but never got the chance, to say thank you."

"It should be me giving you a kiss, for showing me this spectacle,"

"Why don't you? I am here waiting for you."

He reached out took her head into his hands. As he moved to kiss her cheek, she moved her head so that the kiss landed on her lips.

"Why did you do that?" he asked.

"Take it as a seal of our friendship. I want to get to know you better, so that when someone asks if I am taken I can say yes, by the local blacksmith, well I am not to be taken ;if you know what I mean; but we are extra special friends; I have always wanted to get to know you. none of the other boys at school were as interesting as you. I do the books for a few, some do ask me out. Make this as the beginning of our friendship? a sort of commitment to each other?"

"Yes special friends."

"OK, lets get on with the walk. we need to gain a bit more height."

"Lets stop here and have a look."

"Down there, indicating is Rigg House, where Squire Albright lives. There is a footpath, that follows the river, that we could have taken, but this way is more interesting."

"Would I have got a kiss that way?"

"Possibly not, We would not have had the occasion, the moment,"

"We will make our way down to cross the river, by Thwaite Bridge, Then go over Cotter Rig and Bearset to Hardraw village. Lets have snack before we go down,"

In Hardraw They called in at the Green Dragon Inn. The landlord was behind the bar as they entered.

"Now who have we got here? The blacksmith, with a young lady; aren't you one of the Worth family, the accountant?"

"Yes quite right, I do your books, as if you didn't know. We live opposite each other, and both have the day off. John has never been on the fell tops. So this is a New Year's present, show him what he is missing out on cooped up in his nice warm forge."

"I have enjoyed the walk, but I'm starving now, have you any food available?"

"I has some cold meat pie, if you want a slice. Would you want a slice Miss Worth."

"Yes please. Oh and save Miss Worth, for work, I get enough of that at work. I am also know as Elizabeth, outside of work."

"Two slices of pie on its way, and two beers, or would you prefer a glass of something Elizabeth?"

"No if he has a beer, so shall I, thank you.. Can I take John to see the fall?"

"By all means."

“Thanks could you warm the pie for when we return.”

“Yes will do that, with pleasure.”

 

 

They sat on the bench, where Arthur and Martha had sat, just a few days earlier.

“Thank you” They both spoke at the same time.

John said “You go first”

“Thank you for the metal animals, But you have made a man and a woman? Was that a mistake? Or is it a hint?”

“No not a mistake; it was intended, as a hint, do you mind? I mean are you interested, in me? I mean, I hope you are not offended, any way thanks for the jumper.”

“I intended the jumper to get, your interest, I spun the yarn from our own Blackface sheep, It will keep you warm on our future walks.”

She took him behind the waterfall.

Standing behind the water screen, she pulled him to her. So that their bodies were touching, she could feel a hard lump, pressing against her, ‘I don’t want that, not yet at any rate, but I must keep him happy and interested.’ She thought. She pulled him down the her height and gave him a long lingering kiss on the lips.

“Do you want to marry me?” He asked.

“Yes, I do; but not just yet; I will come and help you in the forge, you can come out with me.

I will ask Grandad to get you a dog of your own and train it for you; Ask me again, when you can control a dog.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“Yes. I want to learn how to make things on the anvil.”

They had another kiss, then left the water screen and returned, to the bench

“We will remember this place, for all time.” John remarked.

Elizabeth replied “Behind the waterfall.”

They sat, quiet for a while.

Elizabeth broke the silence “Thing is; I don’t want to disappoint you;

I want to be with you; but I don’t want to be tupped; just yet.”

“That’s OK, by me, we can be together, cant we?”

“As long as we both agree, lets go back now.”

They went, hand in hand back to the inn; for the warm pie and beer.

After the snack they walked back to Apperset by road, hand in hand, releasing hold as they approached home.

"I enjoyed that, John said, will you take me with you again?"

"Well now we are special friends, you may come with me anytime, with or without, a chaperon, what ever they say."

 

 

A few days later, Martha asked

"Is it right that you went off over the moors, alone, with John?"

"Yes we did go over the moors together. Nothing happened, and if it did happen, it would be no disaster, we have come to an agreement, to be special friends, like brother and sister; just get to know each other, just see how things go."

"Its alright; I just thought; well you know what people are like, they see you together; I wish it could be the same between me and Arthur."

"Just wait until you can drop a hint. He hasn't said anything, or mentioned any other girl. Get in and stake your claim, try to get him alone, like I did."

 

 

A dog for John

 

 

Elizabeth asked grandad to find and train a dog for John

“John proposed to me, I told him that he could ask me again, when he can control a sheep dog; can you buy one and train it for him, I will pay for the dog, then he can come for walks, with me, and learn the controls, as we go around. I always take Ruby, so we will have two dogs; If he cant manage I will take, his dog, I enter the two dog events using Arthur’s Patch, so I would be entering my own dogs.

 

 

Grandad found a suitable dog; a Border Collie b***h; a bit older, but ready for training, they called her, Liz.

The training went well, John would take her for walks with Elizabeth, giving her lots of affection when she answered his call.

Elizabeth rigged up some hurdles to represent a trial course, where John, could train her. She now stayed with him at his work, often marshalling the Geese, which were being fattened, for Christmas.

© 2022 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on October 9, 2022
Last Updated on October 9, 2022

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing