Review- "Moneyball"- The business side of baseball

Review- "Moneyball"- The business side of baseball

A Story by Cupofwords
"

I wrote this review for work. I was going through a "business" phase.

"

 Moneyball - The business side of baseball

“Adapt or die” was the slogan quoted by Beane in the movie Moneyball. This one phrase encapsulates the plot of the entire movie. How baseball fully evolved into a business and put to death the last element of human intuition in the sport.

The main character found himself unable to compete in a sport whose success was determined by its budget. Therein lies the seed which would turn baseball into a full-fledged business.

The concept of a “local” team competing against teams from other areas is, in reality, lost because of player trading. There is no such thing as a peculiar skill set in a regional area because players are farmed from all over the nation and beyond. Therefore, the Oakland A’s are not really from Oakland. Players come from all over the world and money bought and brought them. So what does team loyalty matter? There is only loyalty to athletes now as proved by the existence of “Fantasy Leagues”. I guess it’s just nice to think that there are teams playing that represent your favored area.

But enough about the game, let’s address more about the business of the sport. Baseball makes money and therefore is a business. As using computers for statistical analysis became standard in all business, the field of sports would not escape. Frankly, I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. Human intuition is no match for a computer when it comes to collecting data and analyzing it to exploit ever last drop of potential revenue. Apparently, an athlete’s performance is steady enough to apply it to computerized predictions. This method of using computers to pick players fitted to position rather than using seasoned scouts changed the way how clubs would operate forever. There is something to be said about the human side of business. That is, the incalculable data of personality or human character which will sway a market in favor of one company over another. Some markets are naturally more attracted to how likeable from a human standpoint those selling to them are.

The high point of the movie, from a business standpoint, was when Beane was sitting with Red Sox owner John Henry. Henry represented the business of baseball and how it would pounce on the opportunity to make more money on a tested and proven method. If others did not follow this method, they would crumble. This is the essence of capitalism, capitalizing on an opportunity. If you miss the opportunity you will not benefit as much or at all.

A new model may not be accepted until it is proven. The method Beane applied did not work at first, showing that even a very successful method needs to be put into practice with all people involved cooperating for its success. This is where all companies prove their worth. In the movie, once the Head Coach was forced to cooperate, things worked. But Beane had to believe in the plan first and this doesn’t mean every plan will work because you believe in it. Also, freedom in decision making by each member must be limited then when following a model.

Lastly, as soon as a certain company is fortunate enough to find a winning model, it must be prepared to compete against its own creation, as others will certainly copy that model. It is an endless cycle where whether you win or lose, you must start all over and try to win again.

© 2013 Cupofwords


Author's Note

Cupofwords
I haven't edited for spelling, grammar. There are some lines I would improve.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on August 26, 2013
Last Updated on August 26, 2013
Tags: moneyball, movie review, business, capitalism

Author

Cupofwords
Cupofwords

Taiwan



About
A man, who writes, for fun. Sometimes.I also write english articles for TESOL. But where's the fun in that? I'm married and my wife is beautiful. I'm from the States and moved to Taiwan in search of s.. more..

Writing
The Void The Void

A Story by Cupofwords