The Lake

The Lake

A Story by Cyali
"

Originally this was a short story based on my poem The Lake, but now it's twice as long because I used it for an english assignment. This is based off of my happy place in my mind.

"

 I walk along in the twilight with no true destination in mind, traveling wherever my feet take me. The night is so clean, so pure; so new. It's a rebirth of the day; a second chance for every opportunity not taken, or path not traveled. I can easily lose myself in this night; a raven-black and seemingly endless abyss. The moon, a solitary glowing orb amongst the darkest hues of the sky, casts its soft, yellow-tinged light across the lake I had come to love so much. As the charcoal clouds move through the sky, I begin to see millions of tiny pinpricks in the heavens, my view unhindered by city lights and smog. As I turn my gaze down to the crystalline water, I see the light skipping along small ripples in the otherwise undisturbed water.

 

 My favorite spot lay on the opposite side; a small semicircle alcove of weeping willows bordering the lake. I close my eyes, and there I can see those majestic trees swaying above me in the wind as I, in my mind's eye, repose in my little haven. I can hear the soft rustling of the leaves as they brush together; that is truly the best sound in the world. A wonderfully pleasant smell drifts through the air -- the smell of nature; the clean water and unpolluted air, combined with the soft scent of the rose bushes scattered around the shoreline. A slight breeze blows and the gentle, steady croak of frogs and chirping of crickets join the chorus of the weeping willows. Sinking deeper into this sublime hallucination, I become oblivious to my movements. I wander, in my divine dream-state that eclipses reality, closer and closer to this lake that had always forsaken all of my pain, anger, and sorrows with its absolute serenity.

 I draw nearer still, as if the lake has its own gravitational pull. Taking another step, my mind is immediately called back to my body by the sudden coolness I feel. I open my eyes and realize I have wandered past the shoreline into the clear water. I look down and see the water lapping at my bare ankles, feel the smooth pebbles shifting beneath my feet as I continue around the periphery of my lake.
 I reach the cove of weeping willows and take a second to appreciate the unnatural beauty this place possesses. I wander around until I find my spot – a small burrow made by the soft, long grass; made especially for me by Mother Nature. I lie down and immediately feel at peace with the world. Looking across the lake, I can see the distant mountain range gently pushing against the twilight. Above I see the scintillating lights of the aurora borealis waving to me, beckoning to me to stay here forevermore. I feel my eyes begin to droop and let myself slowly fall asleep to the soft sweet lullaby my Mother has created just for me.

 

Sometime later, I slowly awake to the shrill call of the blackbird heralding the morning. Rising to my feet, I see the first sharp rays of the sun, turning the once starry nighttime sky to crimson. I can hear the rapture of the twilight chorus being replaced by the piercing songs of other morning birds. Looking around me, I can see the dead brown leaves marring my beautiful willow trees; I can see patches of dirt in the verdant grass, and layers of algae just under the surface of my beloved lake. I run away, back to the trash-littered dirt path to take me away from this place. Halfway up the path, I stop and look back on my lake for what I believe is the last time, but to my surprise the distance has erased all imperfections, restoring it to its nighttime splendor. I admire the incredible, unnatural beauty of the once again still waters of the lake, and in an instant I realized that nothing could keep from my place, the lake. 

© 2008 Cyali


Author's Note

Cyali
I know there are some semicolon problems...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The images in this were outstanding! Woven like pro, you captured the mind and pulled it right into your minds eye. Seeing through your vision, I could only be in awe of the splendor and peace that it conjurs. I can see why this would be home...that special place where the imagination flys unfettered.

I'd give you two thumbs up for this...but as a wolf..i'd probably fall down.. so instead I shall gladdly give you my paw print to mark this as a remarkable work of art!

Fantastic job!
Aaron "Wolfie" Maycroft

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The images in this were outstanding! Woven like pro, you captured the mind and pulled it right into your minds eye. Seeing through your vision, I could only be in awe of the splendor and peace that it conjurs. I can see why this would be home...that special place where the imagination flys unfettered.

I'd give you two thumbs up for this...but as a wolf..i'd probably fall down.. so instead I shall gladdly give you my paw print to mark this as a remarkable work of art!

Fantastic job!
Aaron "Wolfie" Maycroft

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Like Max, I wouldn't consider this a story, but it is a wonderful piece. You mentioned this derived from a poem, so I'm assuming the poem would be good aswell. Keep writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you derserve an A for that assignment!!
great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi! thank you for entering my contest. I would like to congratulate you on this piece, although it technically doesn't go very far in terms of story, it makes up for it by being probably some of the best prose I've read on this site. of course, the grain of salt is that I am very new. anyway, loved this. you actually brought to mind some of my own nostalgia. I don't know how the contest will turn out, but you're very much a contender.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really loved this. Very calming and descriptive.
Keep up the good work! (:

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

553 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2008

Author

Cyali
Cyali

IL



About
My vampire story is going to be a total scrap and re-do. Twilight kind of killed vampires for me... On top of that, going back and reading it years later made me realize how poorly it was developed an.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Cyali


Inception Inception

A Chapter by Cyali