Nephilim's Fall: Chapter Four

Nephilim's Fall: Chapter Four

A Chapter by DeNine
"

Kyle(Sebastian) wakes up at a bus stop. His memories gone.

"

Chapter 4


"Hey, kid! You waiting for a bus? It doesn't come until tomorrow."


I blink, slowly look toward the voice, and jerk back when I realize the voice came from a scruffy haired man standing just a few feet from me. I shift straighter upon the bench, and shake my head.


“Then do you mind not loitering?”


"Loitering?" I echo. A glance around shows the bench upon which I sit is against the rough-cut wall of a long building. A vending machine isn't too far away on my right and beyond that I see two trash cans. In front of me is the plain old gravel of a large car park. Several cars occupied the space, along with an SUV and a camper. 


"I'm not�""


"Kid, you're acting spaced. Do I need to ring the cops?"


"No," I say. "I'm not�"" I trail off again, not knowing what to say. More disturbing is the realisation I have no idea where I am or how I got here. I turn to the man who is doing a good rendition of loitering himself.


"Sorry, but, what is this?" I ask.


The man turns and waves at the building. “Riverwood Cafe and Alehouse.”


I raise to my feet so I can view what the man indicates; large black italic letters proclaimed the man speaks true. Okay, so that explains the exact what, but how.


My head aches the more I try to think back. There is nothing back. I am in the parking lot of this absolutely nowhere place and I have no idea how I got here, why I am here or even when. I turn back to the man, un-eased to find him staring like he is sizing me up for a fight. My next words aren't going to help. 


“Sorry, but, um you said I was l-loitering. How�"” I swallow, shove my hands in my black jeans to hide my fine tremor. “�"How long?”


The man squeezes an eye shut, arches the brow on the other. "Kid, did you get tossed from a car along the road somewhere?"


"What? No! At least�"" I look down at myself. No road dust or rips in my clothing. No damage to hands, elbows or knees. "No. I was just, sitting here."


"Someone leave you behind then?" came a query, in a tone that sounds like, hardly a surprise.


"No." Actually, I have no idea. Maybe that's what happened? They, Parents? Friends? Had stopped for a break and drove off without me. If so, I have no memory of it. In fact, I have no memory of anything. The nothingness in my head is real. I can only go back as far as hearing the man's first words to me. I glance around again, seeing the bus sign on a pole over by the entrance. 


"There's a bus?" I ask.


"Yeah, but not until tomorrow. Look, I don't know what you've taken but I don't think it's wise for you to stay out here. You look peaky and I don't want to be cleaning up vomit from gravel. Come with me."


I really don't have much choice. And I do feel like vomiting, as confusion deepens into fear that I lost my memory and I am among a total stranger in a totally strange place. The man has been gruff, but I kind of understand that. 


"I'm not drunk or anything," I say.


The man gives me a half nod and indicates me to proceed in front of him. I have my hands in my pockets again, shaking a fair amount now, but find I can move okay; I certainly don't seem to be physically hurt. The cafe's interior is dim after the bright outside, and I flinch when the hand takes my arm to guide me to a booth at the bar end of the building.


"Sit there," the man orders and turns away. Then tosses, "how old are you?" over his shoulder, pausing for the answer.


"Seventeen," I answer immediately. "I think." I press a hand over my mouth. “Damn, I don't know!”


"Bah," the man says and carries on.


In the booth, I scramble to search my pockets, finding only a ripped receipt with a phone number scribbled on it, and a small velvet pouch. Opening it I see it holds a long chain cross necklace. I have no wallet and no phone. No ID to prove who I am or how old. Seventeen had just come out, but am I? And if I'm not that age, then how old am I?


Tears of utter confusion sting my eyes. What is going on? I would bolt from this place if I knew where I could run to.


"Hey, sweetheart," came a female voice and I scoot back in the booth as I noticed the older woman standing by the table.


I open my mouth but don't know what to say, and then she sets down the glass of beer and slides into the booth opposite me. I sit as far back in the seat as I can, hands fisted in my lap.


"My name's April," she says with a smile. "I'm not sure you should be having this," she indicates the glass , "but it's yours if you want it."


"I'm seventeen," I croak.


"I'm not questioning your age, son," April says. "It's just you don't look one hundred percent up to much. Are you unwell?"


I shake my head. Beside the headache, I feel physically fine.


"What's your name?"


"Sebastian." I don't even have to think about that. "Sebastian DeNine." Nor that. Why do I remember my name and nothing else?


"Well, nice to meet you, Sebastian," April says with what seems a genuine smile. "Sammy says you've been sitting outside almost two hours, who�""


"What?" I croak, startled. "Two�" no, no, I can't�"" Two hours?


"You didn't respond to him the first couple of times, got him worried."


She looks concerned, and I'm not surprised. I sink my teeth into my bottom lip because it’s trembling. I whisper, leaning forward, "I don't know where I am or why I'm here."


April c***s her head. "Have you been in an accident?" She straightens.


"No," I say. "At least I don't think so. I haven't got�"" I close my eyes a moment, to get things straight. Relatively easy since there isn't much in my head. When I open my eyes, the woman is still there, brows crinkled with concern. "I know my name," I rasp out, "but I only think I'm seventeen. I can't remember. I can't remember anything before that man spoke to me." And I'm scared. I can't admit that, though it's probably quite obvious.


April is silent, probably trying to decide if I'm scamming. I stay silent, hands between my knees. They stay there even when I feel the first tear track down my face. If I don't bring attention to them maybe she won't notice.


"I'm going to take you to Doctor Wentz," April says. "Just to check that everything's okay. You might just have sunstroke or something, dehydration. That could explain the memory loss."


I find myself nodding, hoping it is something simple. When she smiles at me, I feel a little better, feel like I somehow gained some control in this weird situation.


By the time April Dove turns the ignition off in front of an old rambling wooden house, I know I have absolutely no control in my weird situation.


Doctor Wentz doesn't find any injuries or spiking temperature. And therefore has no scientific reason to explain my almost total memory loss. All I know is my name and my age, though I still wonder about that. My clothing, black jeans, a non-printed navy blue t-shirt, and regular grey sneakers�" give no clues and I wear no watch or other jewellery that might help. Don’t have any tattoos that could surely trigger a memory either. The only thing I have is a silver scar on my neck, three cuts in the shape of a ‘D’, but when asked how I got it, no answers came. The whole thing makes me feel vulnerable and I don’t want to leave the car.


“You’ll be safe here, Sebastian,” April says, with a calm smile.


I simply tighten my hold on my elbows. Two other cars are parked nearby and several bicycles lean against the wall by the front door, including a pink one with streamers. At least that isn’t much of a surprise; April had mentioned that she and her husband Jon run Dove House, a home for orphans or kids whose families couldn’t look after them. I just don’t know where I fit in there. Am I an orphan or did my family dump me at the cafe? I thought the latter odd if I am indeed in my late teens.


“And you’re welcome,” April adds. “You can stay as long as you need to.”


Which could be quite long. I look at the woman beside me; she doesn’t seem at all put-out with the problem she and her husband are taking on. I manage a bit of a smile. I am grateful, I just can't say it.


She smiles and exits the car, and I realize I can’t really stay hiding in so I get out my side. As I shut the door, the front door of the house opens and a tall, sandy-haired man steps out. His gaze is on April first, and he plants a kiss on her cheek when he reaches her. Then he turns to me.


“Hello, kid, I’m Jon.”


I take the offered hand automatically. “Sebastian,’ I say quietly. ‘Um, thanks for�"having me.”


“It’s no problem at all, Sebastian,” Jon says. “Let’s get you settled in. You have nothing with you, I understand?”


I shake my head. And for some reason it hits me only now that I really do have nothing but the clothes I wear. I freeze up, the horror squeezing my lungs.


“Whoa, son,” Jon cries as he grabs my arm. “Fainting on gravel’s only gonna hurt.”


Embarrassment shoves back enough of the panic to allow me to breathe, but I appreciate the hand that stays on my arm.


Jon turns to his wife. “I’ve set up the room next to Zach’s. Go see what I missed. Sebastian and I’ll be along shortly.”


“I doubt you missed anything,” April says, sounding confident. “Sebastian, would you like me to make you a sandwich?”


I let myself nod. “Yes, thank you.”


She smiles reassuringly, nods herself and turns away.


I swallow, managing to draw in a breath that isn't shaky.


“It’s probably going to be a bit rough the next few days,” Jon says as he encourages me toward the door, no longer holding me, but close enough to grab if needed. “But we’re here to help. Just ask.”


“I will,” I say, I'm not sure about that. What could I ask? What help can they give?


“And tomorrow we’ll go find you a change of clothes or two.”


“I don't have any money,” I say, feeling the horror start to squeeze again.


“Don’t worry about that, Sebastian,” Jon says. “It’s not an unusual thing.”


I look at the man, puzzled. “Other kids have�"”


Jon gives a tired smile. “Well, none have come to us with quite your situation, but many have come with just the clothes they were wearing.” A mixture of sorrow and anger creases his brow before another smile chased it away. “In fact, April’s built up something of a wardrobe for emergencies. We might at least be able to give you some pyjamas for tonight, and definitely a toothbrush.”


My head whirles. I didn’t even think of toiletries. Jon’s hand settles at my elbow, staying there as we step into the large entry space and aim for a wide staircase. I hear kids chattering but I don't look around to see if I have an audience. Knowing I am being watched will only make me stumble even more on the stairs.


The bedroom a bedroom, with all that such a room needs. I relax a little; I part feared I’d be housed in some sort of dark cell for weirdos. As I stand looking around, Jon says, “the bathroom’s two doors down on the right.”


I glance his way, nodding.


“There’s one house rule that no one breaks,” Jon says. “A bedroom is a person’s sanctuary. Going into someone else’s room is by invite only.”


“Um, okay.”


Jon smiles. “Just thought you needed a bit of reassurance that you’ll be able to rest here in peace.”


I smile myself but know it is wobbly so I stop. Thinking of others just makes me nervous.


Closing the worn wooden door with a click, I make my way to the bed,  pleasantly surprised by the softness of the white duvet. My head hits the pillow and my eyes involuntarily shut.


A voice springs me awake. “Wow, it's so empty in here.”


I push myself up in a seated position. “Who's there?” My voice echoes through the almost empty room.


A mental sigh, “I guess I’m going to have to go through this whole introduction again. Sebastian, I'm Ari, and yes, I’m in your head.


My eyes bulge and my mind reels, but part of me recognizes the young girl’s voice and I grasp hungrily at the resemblance of a memory.


“Who are you?” I ask, directing the question to the wall across from me in the musty room.


A moment goes by before she answers cheerfully, “I’m Ari! You have a piece of my soul inside you. I’m a nephilim, well, sorta. I can't really do anything, but when I sleep I see you and what you see, I even feel your pain.”


“Do you know where I came from. Why am I here? Why don't I remember anything?” 


“I know some. Something happened to you. Something bad. You died.”


Silence. “I died? Then how am I here?”


“You made a deal with a bad man�"the bad man. He gave you his blood and a piece of my soul so you could live.”


“What does that mean?�"” I ask, thinking about every evil monster movie I've ever seen, “Am I different now or something?”


“You're a demon Sebastian, but you don't seem like one. Having the piece of my soul must some how help you maintain your humanity. I don't really understand any of it. I'm just guessing here, but it's the only thing that makes sense.”


“But why can't I remember anything?” I ask, hoping she knows the answer.


“You made a deal with the bad man, when he asked you to fulfill your end, you said no. You don't break a deal with a man like that. He took your memories. I'm telling you Sebastian, if he asks you to do something, just do it so you can get away from him. It will only get worse if you don't.” Ari’s voice is reminiscent, almost as though she knows from experience.


“Okay,” I say. “I'll do what he asks and maybe he’ll give me my memories back if I do. I feel a mental nod from Ari. My eyes close and I feel comfort in knowing I have someone with me. I'm not alone in this nightmare.


 I awake to see a blinding red light of an alarm clock showing 3:06 am. I can hear snoring and soft breathing fill the house. The bed creaks as I get up and walk towards the door. Opening it softly, I make my way down stairs. I step quietly as to not wake anyone.

 

Her voice like silver fire rings in my head, “Oh good, you're up! Look outside, Sebastian.”

 

I see the brightness through the kitchen window. Walking over to the door, I tug it open. I am taken aback as I see the entire sky full of light. Not by the sun or artificial lighting, the moon stands in the heavens. It is as light, and not light. I can see everything perfectly as if it is daytime; better actually. 

 

Million sounds fill my ears. I can hear the crawling of insects, the flaps of wings and the running of all small animals.  I stand still in the doorway staring blankly into the night with my mouth hanging open, feeling overwhelmed by this new perfumed world. I step out closing the door behind me with a thud.


Deciding to go for a walk in the new wonders of the night. The expression, dead as night pops into my head.


As I hear all the life of the night, the expression seems utterly insignificant. Not only can I hear them but I can see them. Every single animal, insect, fly or bird appears to have a reddish glow to them like I am looking at them through thermal imaging. The red light of all life seems to pulse in tune with a heartbeat.  The entire block is covered in small faint reddish beating shapes.


I walk down the aging neighborhood, some parts overgrown with foliage. I keep walking until I come to a small row of shops, their signs lit up in neon colors. The stores are all closed now.  

 

Some clothes in the window of a designer store named "Duo" catches my eye. It has three mannequins wearing the designer clothes, doing different poses. The first one has a plaid shirt on with jeans, and the sleeves rolled up, I think it looks kind of cool. The second one seems out of place, wearing a long black coat and a round black top hat, which is leaned forward covering his face. This outfit reminds me of something the detectives wore in the 1930’s. I figure they're trying to bring it back. The third one is dressed similar to the first, in a black button up shirt with the top three buttons undone, and some stylish torn up jeans.  I think for a moment, imagining myself in the clothes, laughing to myself when I think of the seconds outfit on me.

 

I turn around, looking to the tree line of the woods that starts across a wide, grassy field. The night is filled with millions of sounds and shapes, giving me the feel of being in a large, busy city. The street is deserted. I turn back to the shop window and a fearful knot forms in my chest as I see that the middle mannequin is missing.


Ari’s voice makes me jump,“Sebastian, remember. You must do what he asks. He might give you a grace period, but you need to just fulfill your end before it's too late.”

 

The last part of what she says sparks my attention. “What do you mean before it's too late?”

 

She is silent for a moment, as if deciding how much to tell me. “The longer you wait to fulfill your end of a bargain with him, the more you will lose yourself. You will kill, Sebastian. If you don't obey him right away you will advance more and more physically into a demon.” The tender sympathy of Ari’s voice surprises me. 

 

“Bum bum… Bum bum… Bum bum.”

 

I hear a loud pulse in my head. It sounds like a beating of a heart, not like the ones from the small animals or insects, this is louder. I turn around to see a big reddish glow about a hundred yards away by the tree line of the woods. There is a hard painful pulse in my head and with it, I am running, but I am not running away from the big red light, I am running towards it. I run past the stores and across the street into a field. The stomping of my feet and the splash they make on the wet ground is the only thing I hear.


“What are you doing! Don't run towards him! Run away!” Ari shouts frantically.

 

I attempt to turn left, away from the oncoming tree line, as I do a sharp pulse like a electric taser stabs my mind and I cry out. When I try to turn right or stop, I get the same response. I am being prodded like a animal where I can only go one way. I continue running, slowing down is only answered by more painful shocks.


“I can't stop!” I cry out, terrified.

 

I am forced to go deeper and deeper into the woods, jumping over fallen trees and uplifting roots as they catch my feet. I run and I run, making turns as the sharp pulses command. I run fast. Faster than I ever thought possible. And as I run I feel stronger, more energized. Strangely I feel amazing, incredible.

 

I love my new perfumed world filled with millions of its faint pulsing glows. It takes me a second to realize that nothing is moving, nothing makes a sound. It is a full moon, the soft grey clouds passing overhead makes shadows on the floor of the beautiful night. 

 

Something is going to happen, I can feel it. Something beautiful, yet a disaster. Finally, I’m allowed to stop. I stand here in a clearing of trees. The wind picks up. I close my eyes to protect them from the blowing dust and feel a chill run down my spine as I feel warm breath on the back of my neck. I spin around so fast that I fall to the floor in the process. My eyes widen as I make out the black eyes of a man in long, black coat. His skin ashen in the moonlight.

 

Stay away from me!” I spit out nervously, backing away as fast as I can on the floor with my hands.

 

He wears a smirk that seems to tell me how pathetic I look. “Relax boy.” his voice silky smooth.

 

“What the hell do you want from me?” I squeal out breathlessly, my hours of running finally catching up with me.

 

One side of his mouth goes up in an amused expression. “You have four months to learn how your bodies new parts and gifts work. Hopefully the Nephilim don't find you before then. Get Stella to trust you and bring her to me, Sebastian!”

 

He points to a house behind some trees on the edge of the woods. I stare at it, feeling some force drawing me to it. When I look back to the man, he is gone, just an empty clearing remains. I look back towards the house, a soft red glow swaying back and forth catches my attention. I get up, and quietly take a few steps towards it.

 

A young teenager girl slowly swings herself back and forth on the porch swing, the wind caressing her long, dark brown hair. Her slender figure is clothed, only in a long, thin nightgown. Her hazel eyes are wet with anguished tears. Her bare feet push her back and forth, back and forth. As the young girl sits crying silently, she is unaware that my two marvelous eyes are trained upon her.

 

Slowly, the young girl raises from the swing. Wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her nightgown, she crosses over to the screen door. It opens with a loud screech, making me wince as the sound pierces my sensitive ears. As the door closes quietly behind the girl, I arise to my full height.

 

I see the lights in the top floor window turn off. I wait for a few minutes then swiftly and silently climb the house to the window. Looking down from the second story, I can feel a tingling warmth coming from my shoulder blades.

 

Good” I think to myself, the window is open. I know it is dangerous, but I climb through the open window and stand in the room. There, lying on a bed, is the girl. Her hair is laid out on the pillow, making her seem as if she has a halo. Her beautiful face is twisted in fear, as if she is in a nightmare she cannot wake out of. I do not look at her beauty, or concern myself with her troubled countenance, I merely gaze upon Stella's sleeping form with a stone cold heart.



© 2017 DeNine


Author's Note

DeNine
Please comment :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on October 17, 2017
Last Updated on October 18, 2017


Author

DeNine
DeNine

Houston, TX



About
I came on here to help me become a better author. I am currently working on my novel, WHAT AM I?: Nephilim's Fall. I would like any help I can get with my novel. I haven't had any formal education in .. more..

Writing