Dervish

Dervish

A Story by DCT ponderings

I have been restless of late. Disquieted by this life and longing for my college days. Not because they were particularly great. Oh contraire! I yearn for the sense of release I had found during those days, when restless and unable to sleep, for my quiet place, where I let loose the pent up feelings and emotions that bind. Where I set myself free and quieted my mind.

In the wee hours of the night I would cross the campus to the theater building and make my way to the dance studio. There as I had so many times before I would dance with utter abandon. Till exhausted I collapsed under the skylights. Released. Unbound. Free.

Now time has progressed. I am not as young and nimble as I used to be. I long for the freedom of expression through movement that my body once obliged me. For that yearning, that desire to explode from the inside, to open myself wide to the glory of my soul, a whirling dervish spinning towards heaven. And sometimes late at night that call still beckons.

© 2013 DCT ponderings


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't dance but I do love and appreciate it... I say, go dancing!!! But anyways, there are other things that strike me here... The need to express, physically, there is something so raw and human and required about that. I express my emotions in my poetry and my fantasies in my stories, but physical expression leaves a different sort of feeling. And this restless feeling is also an affliction of mine.. I have a few poems about it! This comes with force and slowly dissipates... Maybe it's just being a woman...

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

Yes I fear it does come along with being female. I am woman hear me roar! As youth it presents as an.. read more
Horizon K.

10 Years Ago

Yes, I think it's hormonal!!! Sigh....
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
I love this pondering. I sometimes think this is my favorite form of writing when a writer just puts a bit of introspection up without the cloak and dagger conveyance of fiction or floral poetry (although I'm fine with that too)
that desire to explode from the inside, to open myself wide to the glory of my soul, a whirling dervish spinning towards heaven.
Found that especially wonderful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

Thank you TL. I love writing like this from time to time.There are some expressions that need to flo.. read more
Superb piece Dana. I think thats a longing in all of us, so well articulated.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

Thank you Keith. I think this is definitely wisdom gained with age and time. :)
You know, I have felt this way as well. This restlessness, at least in my case, I believe comes from age and the responsiblity we acquire through the years. During college, I was madly stuying, preparing, looking to the future; now I am in that future and looking back on those times passed with a certain sense of longing nostalgia.

The last line in this one was amazing, my friend. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

Yes indeed. One of the cruelest jokes maturity plays. If only we could travel back and tell ourselve.. read more
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

So funny, my grandfather (who just turned 86) says this all the time...if only I could go back and t.. read more
DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

It would expedite our evolution. But then there would just be something else to learn and wish we ha.. read more
I could feel such a power in these emotional connections... that freedom of dancing delights that still call to you... Somehow we must find a way to breathe that wonder again into your heart and soul.. It's simply too beautiful to ever fully let go.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

And dreams.....I just watch the Magic of Belle Isle last night. Morgan Freeman's character Monte is .. read more
An owl on the moon

10 Years Ago

Oh, I love the description of that.. and love anything Morgan Freeman is in! Thank you!
DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

As a writer you would enjoy this movie. He has lost his voice, no longer writes. But he meets Charlo.. read more
Helplessly remembering the release past days bestowed. We do that when we have trouble? Or just because we yearn youth? If we recall them so much does it mean our life has reached its climax? Or the climax were really does days we are recalling? Thank you so much for this profound reflection. I really enjoyed your writing!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

I think I can only truly yearn for youth because of maturity and age. And I have definitely not reac.. read more
Ah, the whirling dervish spinning towards heaven...still love to dance...though my over the hill body is not as agile either for modern. Splendid read and write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

Thanks Brandon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 25, 2013
Last Updated on June 25, 2013

Author

DCT ponderings
DCT ponderings

WA



About
HI all! I have been absent of late. Life has run a muck and gotten away from me. Most of what I've been writing as of late can be found over on my blog www.dctdesigns.com. So feel free to find your wa.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..