Blank Space

Blank Space

A Poem by D Connolly
"

I notice random things & turn them into philosophy

"

With the new year, I removed the calendar from my wall

And now the space looks so empty and bare

In spite of the urge I feel to fill the void immediately,

I will sit with these emotions and reflect...

Understanding that emptying does not require refilling

© 2017 D Connolly


Author's Note

D Connolly
I am experimenting with "poems" that don't rhyme or have any rhythm. Not sure how I feel about it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Blank Space'
D Connolly,
With any change it is ok to only move as fast as one can. Processing the things of life is not always super fast I think. Your poem was a good example of being given permission to be as kind to yourself as you would to others as we move through life seasons.
Blessings,
Kathy


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

D Connolly

5 Years Ago

Hi Kathy! I'm just seeing this. Thank you for your loving reviews, as always



Reviews

Got me thinking about life in a very retrospective way and then I realized that even though its a new year and I feel this emptiness that I've felt in a long time. It's time to move on to new things and experiences. The piece is actually pretty therapeutic. Thank you for this write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

thank-you Keegan, I'm glad :) I will look at your writing too
Every time I read this I get blank space by T Swizzle stuck in my head. lol Well written! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

thank-you Kathryn! Love the avatar LOL
Elegant and frank lines!
Made me smile :)
Specially the last line was my favorite.
Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

thank-you Tazeen, I will read yours next :)
Reading your rich, wondrous thoughts, these inspirations of yesterday, and today, and these days that will flow after. Yes, we must learn to thrive in the silences and spaces and places that seem empty, for the music does not always lie in the notes, but in the landscapes between them. And paperclips, yes, they must be abolished and quickly in this new year.

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

haha, yes the paperclips must go ;) Thank-you!
ahahaha i love this ... we always have 4 or 5 new calanders from the grocery, the hardware, the lumber stores and the Bank .. the emptiness is a blink of the eye ;) i appreciate your wisdom in closing .. so very true and should be practiced by all .. deep cleansing breaths ...beeeeee empty :)
E.
ps free verse is wonderful ...this has a very smooth flow ..not a hitch ..and its pretty surgical as the length is enough but not too much ..

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

thank-you Einie
Ah, wise words yoda :)
I know what you mean Dani, the empty space can be louder than what was originally there, a calender especially. Full of important dates and events of the past, now suddenly remembered, that you had forgotten them until that blank space filled in the gaps for you. Sometimes I can be like rainman with change, the change driving me crazy until I finally give up and rely on my feeble memory to remind me of what the past really meant.....I like to think as writers, our words are our calendars, looking back through where we have been in the words we write and the emotions and memories they bring back to us.With me, that thought is usually "Hmm, maybe I am crazy. I'd go see a shrink, if only I had a calendar to remind me of the appointment." :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

HA! Thank-you Nemo
~ this piece doesn't rhyme but i disagree about rhythm... ~ i read it aloud several times and was able to sense the rhythm of a little girl heart embedded in a thinking adult mind... craving for meaning, depth and simplicity... while at the same time wondering about whether or not all kinds of empty spaces on the wall or within need to be filled... ~ this piece, for me, is about the anatomy of change... about letting go of time that has elapsed... about symbols... and whether they have symbolic value or not... ~ it has the rhythm of a human being's heartbeat... a gentle whisper in the corridors of time... which seeks to ascertain the significance of space/time and how it need not be filled in an expected way... and hence about how it need not be filled at all... ~ i feel that when we put a calendar on the wall, we habitually look at it and spend time thinking about chronology... i once wrote something where i said that "i am a victim of chronology; of date and time stamps"... and i was... as i was too consumed by when a certain event was taking place in my life rather than actually living life... and at that point... one fine day... i got rid of the calendar... and gradually realized that i remember the date anyway... but that suddenly i had created more space for me to live spontaneously... your post reminds me of that epiphany rather rhythmically... it's the quintessential human existential question but it's expressed in a unique way... in your unique voice... ~ thank you for sharing this post...

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

wow, Serah, your review is like poetry! I'm glad that this thought of mine was able to resonate so s.. read more
. serah .

7 Years Ago

~ you're very welcome, D. ... ~ i'm perpetually looking for meaning in my own life and words of cour.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Unless it is a glass that once contained a wee dram.
Hi Dani, you should feel fine, there's nowt wrong and much right here

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

haha, Hi Gee, thank-you
Ah this is a lovely sentiment. A successful experiment, I would think. Though I wouldn't know you weren't a free verse poet by reading this just one.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Interesting. I write a mix of both, and sometimes, somewhat of a hybrid -- form and free. I try not .. read more
D Connolly

7 Years Ago

I will have to read more of that. I think I could learn a lot. Don't mind me stalking your work ok, .. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Stalk away. I have a ridiculous amount of work posted on here.
It's hard for me to forego rhyme & rhythm when writing a poem, but sometimes it can add a whole different feel to your message. I like your straightforward style of observing the ordinary aspects of life & conveying these thoughts with a touch of philosophical pondering!

Posted 7 Years Ago


D Connolly

7 Years Ago

thank-you! I once thought it was a curse, but poetry is showing me that these expressions are possib.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I've always heard the saying: "write what you know" . . . but I never experienced the truth of this .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1458 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 5, 2017
Last Updated on January 5, 2017

Author

D Connolly
D Connolly

Bradenton, FL



About
renaissance woman. more..

Writing
Perspective Perspective

A Story by D Connolly



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beautiful Beautiful

A Poem by D Connolly


Bluegreen Bluegreen

A Poem by D Connolly