manic midnight meddling

manic midnight meddling

A Story by DarlingDarjeeling
"

there's no point to this

"

Sometimes I get into restless crazy moods at night. It’s not exactly sleep troubles because I’m not tired at all, but perhaps that’s part of the issue? Logically at four in the morning I should be sleeping, but instead I find myself spinning in circles in my desk chair while my boyfriend snores the night away a mere few feet away.

Useless, I think in the small glances I get at his sleep form while I spin.

Wasting away a perfectly good opportunity to do...what exactly? I’m not sure.

I decide to wander the small apartment aimlessly. It’s dark, as there is a sleeping boyfriend in the bedroom and a sleeping friend in the living room, so there isn’t much to see. Just shuffling around the darkness and standing in one spot for a long time until I get bored. Glancing at them while they sleep to gauge their responses from my rustling sounds.

Nothing.

I take a trip to the closet. Thrilling! I could take out my flute. Perhaps if I’m quiet enough.

Eh but it’s on a high shelf and then I would have to clean it.

There’s nothing else in the closet so I move on.

I sit down at my laptop and browse through web pages I bookmarked many years ago. A good pastime I decide.

I decide to reread a short story I liked a long time ago. By short I mean 70,000 words.

And of course one logically only reads such funny pieces in one sitting right?

I decide a few chapters in that tea sounds like a good idea.

Time to make noise in the kitchen again.

While the tea is doing it’s thing I go back to my laptop and turn on some 80s music. I take a few unnecessary snapchats documenting my manic midnight meddling. Exaggerated and unclear zooms on my boyfriends face are made.

My cat is nowhere to be seen.

I take note of some articles of clothing my boyfriend left on the floor. I decide to kick it around like a soccer ball. I leave the clothes on various landing places I decide look flattering enough. Such as some sweatpants on top of the keyboard. It is a nice addition I feel.

Tequila is a great song to spin in a chair to.

After a while it seems like a good time to have that tea I made. And move out the moldy mug sitting on my desk. What even was in there?

When I drink my tea, I feel something in the drink. But of course bugs can’t be in there but it’s dark so goodness what if it’s bugs. The drink immediately falls out of my mouth and right back into the mug. I take my phones’ flashlight and inspect the contents of my tea with wide eyes only to find that tea leaves are the culprit. Oh. Waste of a perfectly good cup of Jasmine.

That’s my favorite tea.

I get up and peek through the window blinds. Nothing moves outside. My eyes dart side to side looking for something. Anything.

I go back to the desk and decide to continue reading.

The boyfriend keeps tossing and turning, because of random groovy music I keep playing no doubt.

I keep glancing over and waiting for a sign he’s awoken. I almost hope he’ll wake up, despite the fact I want him to get the rest he needs and don’t to wake him.

I must admit it’s lonely.


© 2018 DarlingDarjeeling


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on September 9, 2018
Last Updated on September 9, 2018
Tags: sleepless, bored

Author

DarlingDarjeeling
DarlingDarjeeling

TX



About
Hello! I'm trying to get started on writing some novels I've been planning out for quite a while now, so to transition into that I want to do a bunch of short stories. I want to share them here to .. more..

Writing