Peter and Daeja's Hunt for the Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny

Peter and Daeja's Hunt for the Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny

A Story by Derek Thiem
"

An Easter story for my daughter.

"

Peter and Daeja’s Hunt for

Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny


Once upon a time there was a rabbit named Peter. Peter was a cotton-tailed gray bunny who lived in Fellowship Woods near a beautiful garden filled with flowers and vegetables. His favorite time of the year was spring. Peter liked spring because the days got warmer, drier, and sunnier, and there was more time in the day to go hopping around with his friends in Fellowship Woods or searching for tasty treats the owners of the garden had planted for them. But the very most important reason he liked spring was because spring meant Easter, and Easter was Peter’s favorite holiday.

He loved everything about Easter--He loved the pastel Easter colors. He loved decorating Easter eggs. He loved Easter crafts. He loved the mystery of the Easter Bunny and the hunt for Easter eggs.

One day Peter’s friend Daeja came over. Daeja was a brown haired bunny with floppy ears and blue eyes. She lived nearby in Fellowship Woods. During vacations like spring break Daeja and Peter liked to get together and play and explore the woods and look for treats in the garden. They got together and played hide and seek and worked up a good appetite, then went over to the garden.

Jacinda, the owner of the garden, had done a good job of arranging everything in organized rows that made it nice and easy for Daeja and Peter to come have a snack.

“Mm Mmm,” said Peter. “I am ready for a snack. You made me look a long time to find you hiding under that log.”

“Yeah,” said Daeja. “I knew that would be a good hiding spot.

You would’ve spent all day looking for me if I hadn’t started laughing.”

“Speaking of hiding,” Peter replied. “Where do you think we should look for eggs this year during the big easter egg hunt?”

“Hmm,” Daeja said. “I don’t know. That Easter Bunny really is tricky.”

“Yeah,” said Peter, thinking long and hard. “He’s so mysterious. How does he get all of our eggs and hide them on Easter morning before we get up? I wonder if we will ever meet him.”

“Or her,” replied Daeja. “She could be a girl.”

“Oh yeah,” said Peter. “Guess I hadn’t thought about that. This year I heard there’s going to be an egg wrapped in gold and all made of chocolate inside. All of the little rabbits will be looking for it.”

“Wow,” said Daeja. “Gold and chocolate and Easter eggs, oh my!”

And the two little bunnies set about digging up pea shoots and tender baby carrots for lunch.

The day before Easter, Daeja and Peter got ready for the big day. They considered all possible egg hiding places and picked out their Easter outfits. Daeja picked out a pretty Easter dress and a new hat with a bow. She even picked out matching accessories like a necklace and bracelet. They dyed Easter eggs and talked about what they hoped would be on the Easter dinner table.

Most importantly, they made an agreement--They would both wake up early on Easter morning and crawl out of bed to peer out their windows and look for the Easter Bunny. After the big hunt, they would compare what they saw.

The big morning arrived. Daeja woke up and rubbed the sleep out of her tired bunny eyes. She hopped to her window and looked out. She was shocked--The Easter Bunny was wearing her mama’s robe.

Peter woke up and rubbed his eyes. He hopped over to his window and looked out. His eyes were blurry and sleepy, but they got wide when he saw what he did. The Easter Bunny was wearing a jacket he recognized. It was Mr. Barnes’ jacket, Peter’s neighbor from across the road. He couldn’t wait to tell Daeja.

Daeja and Peter got their baskets and their parents and rushed outside to look for eggs.

The hunt was on. They looked under bushes and on top of tree branches, inside flower beds and behind signs. When Daeja and Peter crossed paths, they yelled to each other. “I saw the Easter Bunny!”

“I saw him too!”

“You mean her!”

“What? Lets talk about it tonight at dinner after the hunt.”

Peter found three blue eggs, two green eggs, and one yellow egg. Daeja found three purple eggs, two pink eggs, and one yellow egg. All of the colored eggs had been found and only one was left--the golden chocolate egg.

The little rabbits looked high and low, far and wide. They looked under and over and around, but couldn’t find the golden egg. Finally, Siri the bunny had an idea--”If we can’t find the egg on our own, we should ask for help” she thought. “Mrs. Robin Redbreast, do you know anything about a golden egg?” Siri asked.

“Why yes!” The robin replied. “I just happen to have it right here along with my very own eggs. I was given the golden egg by the Easter Bunny with instructions to give it to the first little bunny smart enough to ask me for help. Here it is, my child.”

Siri had a big smile on her face as she put the golden chocolate egg into her basket.

With the Great Egg Hunt over, Peter and Daeja returned to have a big dinner with both of their families.

As soon as they had a chance to, Daeja and Peter compared stories about the Easter bunny they saw.

“He had on Mr. Barnes’ jacket,” Peter said excitedly.

“No,” said Daeja, “She had on my mama’s robe. I don’t know how she got it.”

They looked at each other for a moment and then they knew--The Easter Bunny could change to look however the Easter Bunny wanted so that no one would ever really know exactly who the Easter Bunny was, for the Easter Bunny was far too magical for that.

© 2017 Derek Thiem


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on May 21, 2017
Last Updated on May 21, 2017
Tags: children's stories, Easter stories, Peter Rabbit, children's literature