How to Tailor Your Resume to a Certain Job

How to Tailor Your Resume to a Certain Job

A Story by Dalia Derrick


Tailoring your resume to a certain industry or specific job may seem time-consuming, but it can make the difference between securing an interview and having your CV tossed aside. This article offers some useful advice on how to use a targeted resume to snag the attention of a potential employer.


Creating an effective resume is an essential step to take before applying for a job. However, it may not be enough. The qualities that an employer looks for in an applicant vary from industry to industry. By tailoring your CV to a certain industry or job you increase your chances of securing an interview.


A targeted resume addresses a certain job opportunity, by making it easy for the potential employer to see how your qualifications are a close match to a job’s requirements. It highlights relevant experiences, provides pertinent references and plays up your strengths in the field. Tailoring your CV every time you want to apply for a job may seem time-consuming, but it’s crucial if you want to get the attention of potential employers.


The first step is to create a strong core resume, which you will then customize based on every job’s requirements. Your resume should be clear and concise, professional and up to date. Next, take a look at our advice for tailoring your resume depending on job requirements, below.


Research



Do your research before tailoring your resume to a particular job. Learn as much as you can about the company and the job in question. Search online and familiarize yourself with the company’s values.

Follow employees of the company on Twitter or engage with them on LinkedIn to get more information. Ask them what the employer looks for in applicants. All this useful information can help when tailoring your resume. For example, if the company has a basketball team, it’s good to include that you played basketball in college under your special skills. Otherwise, it’s probably best to leave it out.  


Even hobbies should be relevant



Applicants often tend to write something generic and move on. However, your hobbies and interests can reflect your personality and objectives. This section can actually prove to the potential employer you have the skills needed for the job. For example, if you are seeking a managerial position, emphasize your participation in team sports. If you want to be hired as a writer, write about your passion for reading.


Show your successes



Prove your effectiveness by outlining the positive result or outcome of the work you have done. Even if you don’t have any relevant work experience, sell yourself in the best way possible. Focus on highlighting any relevant internships or courses they might have taken. If you were part of the management team of a student organization, explain how that helped you develop your leadership skills.


Pick original headings



You can change your headings into something more appealing for a potential employer. You don’t necessary need headings like “work experience” or “volunteering.” “Leadership experience” or “team work experience” are focused, specific headings related skills the employer might be looking for.

Tailoring your CV is definitely worth it " you will manage to stand out from you fellow applicants and have a greater chance of landing an interview. Try to think like the employer when you consider including something in your resume. Will they find the information relevant? It’s better to focus solely on experience and education that proves you are a worthy candidate for the job. If you need more inspiration, check out Oprah Winfrey’s speech for Harvard graduates. She talks about the importance of resumes and how they should always tell a story. Good luck!

© 2014 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2563 Views
Added on January 15, 2014
Last Updated on January 15, 2014
Tags: job resume, job CV, applying for a job, create a strong resume, search a job, work experience

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing