The Worst and Best Things to Say to Your Boss

The Worst and Best Things to Say to Your Boss

A Story by Dalia Derrick

Your boss holds enormous power over you. A lot of sway when it comes to your salary, your daily duties and your future prospects. All of which means you really need to manage that relationship. Every word you say has the potential to launch you into upper middle management or sink you to the depths of the unemployed.

So, no pressure, right? Now that you’re nice and relaxed, let’s go over what are the worst and best things to say to your immediate supervisor:

Worst

“You are an undermining character with no scruples and I am convinced that you want me to get you coffee for the rest of my working life.”

Best

“I have learned a lot from you, but I want to try to transfer to another department. I think it is the best choice for both of us.”

Sometimes moving on is the best option for both you and your overlord. You get to breathe again and they get to suck the youthful energy out of another unsuspecting, eager entry-level analyst. It may be tough to pull it off, but best for your sanity and, most of the time, for your career.

Worst

“I am woefully underpaid. I deal with way too much grief from my co-workers and we don’t have enough support from the home office.”

Best

“I think my performance warrants a raise. I helped land the Perkins account, I work very well with our difficult liaison in accounting and I exceed my quotas every quarter.”

Accentuate your positive accomplishments at work, rather than harping on the negative circumstances that keep you down. Bosses don’t want to be constantly reminded of the obstacles that stand in your way. Most likely, they have figured out how to deal with those obstacles in productive ways. Proving that you can do the same will go a long way towards getting that pay bump.

Worst

“I can’t do that. Marketing won’t give me what I need.”

Best

“That will be difficult, but here is how I plan to get us around those roadblocks.”

Figure it out. Or at least pretend that you will be able to figure it out. Negging your chances of success from the get go will get you nowhere. Fast. Try to give the impression that you can make miracles happen.

Read more: The Worst and Best Things to Say to Your Boss

© 2014 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

563 Views
Added on May 22, 2014
Last Updated on May 22, 2014

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing