Influence

Influence

A Chapter by Damac
"

The group arrives at Uplift, where they discover something unfortunate

"

“Power is something every man wants, but it can only be achieved through co-operation.”


“We have been walking all day, are you sure there’s a town up ahead?” Veronica asked as the four travelled the old, cracked road.

“I’m sure.” Andrew said.

“And I’m sure too, I have heard of a town called Uplift before. It is around here.” Gear added.

“Let’s just hope for our sake, that you two are right.” Luke said, opening his mouth and swallowing some anti-biotics.

“You need water?” Andrew asked.

“Yeah.” 

Andrew passed his brother a canteen of water, “Not too much, we don’t know how far away the town is.”

“I think I do.” Gear said.

“Why?” Andrew asked, Gear pointed ahead. In the distance, the four could see a large cliff, metal structures and buildings completely lining the sides.


The four walked up to the gates of the town. The cliff was even more magnificent up-close. It was one of the largest settlements Andrew had ever seen. A little more than a hundred people, Men, Women, and children, all walked among the scaffolding like streets. Buildings lined the cliff face and peppered the ground at the bottom. High walls made out of metal, scraps found probably from all over the wastes. Three guards stood, two stood on either side of the entrance, one stood in the middle as the four approached. The guards wore a sort of padded armor made of leather, and carried large rifles, worn from their time in the wastes.

“Stop right there!” The guard in the center said, raising his gun to the four. The four followed his command, “Turn over your weapons!”

Andrew looked at Veronica and Gear, Veronica gave him an upset look, but Gear shook his head yes. The three removed their weapons and tossed them at the feet of the guard.

“You may approach.” The guard said, the four walked forward, but the guard held up his hand, “Not the mutant.”

“Why not?” Andrew asked, stopping.

“We don’t take any type of mutant behind the city walls.”

“Because?”

“It’s our rule, now accept it, leave,” The guard raised his gun, “or are we going to have a problem.”

Andrew considered the odds, he looked at the weapons at the guards feet, the pistol and rifle, he then looked up at the guards, the three guards. Could he get them all? He started to weigh his options, when a large hand fell in front of his face. 

“I’ll go.” Gear said, “I’ll wait by the road side. Go, get some rest.” He turned slowly, and walked away. Andrew walked forward, followed by Veronica and Luke, he shoved the guard as he walked by.


“Welcome to town.” Veronica said as they entered the bustling down square. Vendors sold things on the street, children played with each other, laughing and screaming, a couple men were trying to keep a massive, mutated bear under control, the town was completely alive.

“So much for an apocalypse.” Andrew said, starting to walk through the crowd.

“This must just be a rather successful community.” Veronica said. Andrew gave her a funny look, “Ya think?”

Veronica playfully punched Andrew’s arm, and then Luke butted in, “Where do we go.”

“Some sort of town hall probably.” Andrew said.

“That maybe?” Luke said, pointing to  large building, the largest as far as they could see, with a pointed top.


The three walked through the town towards the center, they walked by a man screaming the happenings of the outside world to the people. Trade relations, mutant creatures activity in the area, but then something caught Andrews attention.

“...The four were spotted running from New Gotham into contested and uncontrolled territory. If anyone has any information leading to their arrests by the Empire of Quinn, please bring it up with the district leader at the community center!” The herald screamed. Andrew stopped and looked at Veronica.

“You think the imperials have control of this town?” Andrew asked.

“Not control... but definitely influence” She said.

“We keep going?”

“Yes, this place is our only chance right now. We can’t go back out into the wastes, not yet.”


The three arrived at the door to the large building, the community center.

“We don’t have our guns, you still think this is a good idea?” Andrew asked Veronica.

“Yes, 100%.”

“Well, then let’s do it.” Andrew said, opening the door.


The three stepped into a large room full of laughter, chatter, and music. The room was clean, the floors made of white marble, the walls made of mirrors, chandeliers hung from the ceiling. Andrew saw Men and Women, all wearing fancy clothes, chatting while drinking wine out of fine glasses. Andrew saw one man in particular, a larger and older man, in the back of the room, sitting at a circular table with a few other men.

“That’s him.” He heard the voice say.

“Who?” Andrew thought.

“The District Leader.”

“Follow me.” Andrew told Luke and Veronica. The three began to walk through the the room toward the man, the room became more and more silent as they walked. Andrew walked right up to the table the man was sitting at, and looked him in the eyes.

“Who are you?” The man asked.

“A friend.” Andrew said.

It was silent for a few moments in the room, the silence only broken by the soft music playing.

“What do you want?”

“A talk, and nothing else.”

The man looked around, he looked to the right, to another older man. The older man slightly shook his head no, but the District Leader laughed. “Yes, yes, follow me.” He said, standing up. He began walking towards a door in the wall, and Andrew, Veronica, and Luke followed him, but the man stopped.

“No, no. You only, the Child and The Girl stay.”


Andrew and the man walked into a back room, an Office and a rather extravagant one at that. The walls were lined with paintings, portraits of the man in different poses, flags that Andrew assumed were the flags of uplift, and several other forms of art.

“So, what is it you would like to talk about. And please, don’t make it begging, I don’t always let grime covered wastelanders into my office.”

“My name is Andrew, and I know your being threatened by the Imperials of Quinn. I want to help.”

The man stared, and swallowed hard, “Well, that’s not what I expected, and it changes everything.”



© 2011 Damac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I did like this chapter but it wasn't to be honest as good as Revelation and there wasn't as much going on as there could of been , but than can been seen as a good thing as you don't want to convolute the chapter with everything so a space is good for the chapter . I loved how it ended as i'm excited for the next and i think you need to get writing because i want too know more . Another thing : I think you gave some marvelous descriptions for the town of Uplift which did make me keep my eyes on the text , Kudos for that . I do like that first couple of chapters really focused on the characters which is what writers need to do but now , you're added more to the background and the changes in society and government which adds realism and gives the readers an incling showing us that Wastes has potential to be a greater book than what it already is .

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

movable plot, inacted storyline, fantasy mixed with reality,
has the makinga of a brilliant act, I'm no good at writing stories, this is creative!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I did like this chapter but it wasn't to be honest as good as Revelation and there wasn't as much going on as there could of been , but than can been seen as a good thing as you don't want to convolute the chapter with everything so a space is good for the chapter . I loved how it ended as i'm excited for the next and i think you need to get writing because i want too know more . Another thing : I think you gave some marvelous descriptions for the town of Uplift which did make me keep my eyes on the text , Kudos for that . I do like that first couple of chapters really focused on the characters which is what writers need to do but now , you're added more to the background and the changes in society and government which adds realism and gives the readers an incling showing us that Wastes has potential to be a greater book than what it already is .

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2011
Last Updated on December 29, 2011
Tags: Apocalypse, Nukes, Survival


Author

Damac
Damac

New York City, NY



About
I'm just a writer looking for a place where I can write without limitations! I am currently Writing Four Stories: Operation School: What Lies Ahead - A sequel to my first ever work of writing, O.. more..

Writing
Chapter I: The Calm Chapter I: The Calm

A Chapter by Damac


The Regulator The Regulator

A Book by Damac