Drop The "R" Word

Drop The "R" Word

A Poem by Tasha
"

I'm tired of people using this word in a negative way.

"
"That's so retarded!"

To you it seems like a 'normal' word
that people use out of anger,
to be funny,
or by accident
Never realizing what those words really mean
to someone in that predicament
Somebody else takes it offensively,
of course you don't say it to be mean
but only to get your point across,
 no matter what you think
you're still hurting another human being
You shouldn't put individuals down
to fit in with today's word choices
it's not fair to them...

SO LETS JUST...

DROP THE "R" WORD!!

© 2011 Tasha


Author's Note

 Tasha
I know this may not be my best piece but I am tired of people using the word retarded. It really bugs me because there are really people this way and they just use it for no reason.

A couple of months ago my school did a "Spread the word, to end the word" for the word, and I think more schools and business should use this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Absolutely! Every time you say something is "retarded" you offend every person who is truly defined under that word.

re·tard·ed (r-tärdd)
adj.
1. Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation.
2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.

Is that what people mean when they say "thats retarded". Most of the time no, but if they cant repect others and know exactly what they are saying they shouldnt say it at all. Outstanding poem :) 10/10


Posted 12 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I happen to agree with you full on this idea. My sister has a little girl who is handicapped and it would break my sister's heart to hear someone use this word. It isn't a word that has a pleasant meaning and it use to be used to make fun of people with disibility and still is sometimes. Bravo to you for expressing this loud and clear.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think a lot of the PC police overdue it, but with this word, you have a valid point. Calling someone this can affect their whole life. Good Job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was amazing so true. Some person in my class keeps saying the "R" word to be funny but, another person always says to not say it. I would take it offensively too since thats what people would call my bro. even though he's smater then anyone else with "A's" even in his predicutment. So you're right. In all word choices people need to be more wise because anything can be mean. Awesome job and keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with you! This was an amazing piece of writing! :)
~gabbz

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I completely support this, my little brother is autistic and almost all my friends use it and i cant stand it they just dont get what it means and they brush it off like its nothing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I absolutely CANNOT stand it when people use that word! I haven't used that word since the start of my freshman year and I don't plan on it! Really good meaning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I toootally agree! It's nothing short of cruel to call a
person retarded. Makes you think...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I applaud you Ta'shandra for standing up for what you believe in. I have worked with many mentally challenged and developmentally disabled people and they are done a huge disservice by the use of this word in negative connotation. Perhaps people should remember the saying "There but for the grace of God go I." Well done! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone who understands. I tell people all the time how rude it is to use that word...i'm so glad your wrote this piece and i completely agree. I don't think people understand the depth of that word, and how it can truly hurt someones' feelings. I consider it to be the rudest word to use. so i commend you for this piece! well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I never use the R word. Never.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2322 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 3, 2011
Last Updated on May 3, 2011

Author

 Tasha
Tasha

NC



About
Hey, I'm 18 years old and I love writing. "To know me is to love me" "Every heart has a beat and mine just skips for you" Wanna know more? Message me I love to make new friends. &heart.. more..

Writing
Secret Secret

A Poem by Tasha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Unimmortal Unimmortal

A Poem by OT


Grey Grey

A Poem by OT