I Wonder Sometimes

I Wonder Sometimes

A Poem by Dani California

 

 

 

I wonder sometimes

About moments online

Strangers showing love

Across the miles

His, hers, yours

And mine

 

I wonder sometimes

Faceless people I find

Conversations sublime

Words on a screen

Telling stories, secrets

Some that rhyme

 

I wonder sometimes

While we chat online

Passing hours in time

The joy of friendship

Smiles and laughter

In you I find

 

I wonder sometimes

Only knowing your mind

If it matters that I find

You’re really someone else

Though you’re still...

So kind

 

I wonder sometimes

Since we’re passing lonely time

If you’re really a friend of mine

Or just an imaginary companion

I’ve created in my mind

Online

 

I wonder sometimes

 

 

 

© 2008 Dani California


Author's Note

Dani California
This was inspired by my thought that although we don't always know the person we are communicating with on the other end of cyber space, if the connection is positive, and brings joy.... does it really matter? Should it matter?

Tell me what you think...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I wonder too you have broached a subject we all must think about. I have friends on line i have and never will meet. Some friendships span years and some are new. Some we just click with straiht away andothers the rapport builds gradually.. I wonder if we could meet with net friends face to face would that friendship still stand

Posted 15 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hey Dani California,
I like this writing and the poetry is unique in that it is short enough for the eyes to grasp the meaning without going all across the page. Sometimes I write as much as a line will take because I just can't get my thoughts out in a few words. You do quite well though.

I used to think the same thing about my internet friends and how the miles and miles are just taken up to nothing in very seconds and what would happen if suddenly the electric cables are all pulled out and then the brief memories and friends were still there, even without the electricity. In a way, it is a spiritual thing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I believe that even though we pretty much are all strangers, that really as human being we can all relate. And I don't think it matters if we aren't who others think we are, unless we're out to cause harm...

jkb

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hi Dani, This is something I too think about at times. We sometimes bond online in such a way that we can actually feel as if we personally know the person at the other keyboard as we 'touch' that person with our fingertips and our rhyme. I remember recently that I had been too quick with dry wit while chatting with a cyber friend in a poetry space and offended her. When she brought it to my attention, I was so ashamed and myself hurt that I had hurt her, and I was so afraid that I would not hear from her again or that she would refuse my own mail. After I apoligized and fully explained my prior comments, to my great relief all was again well and I learned a valuable lesson in friendship, even a cyber one. The keyboard is as mighty as the sword, so to speak. Even though I know only a few scarce things, other than her poetry, about her, just as with you Dani, I still felt such a strong bond of friendship that it doesn't matter what I don't know of her, it's what I do know and feel that matters. There is a lot of uncyphered pshycology involved in using web sites such as this and I doubt if any studies have been done to figure it out. Take for instance our Avitars that we use to 'identify' ourselves. Mine is my shadow, which without knowing could seem mysterious ,such as why the shadow and what's going on in the photo, when in actuality I was hiking one day and simply saw what looked like a good photo op. The friend I spoke of uses a flower which she might well identify with, you Dani use an Eye which may or may not be a pic of your own but which still is a beautiful deep aqua green and rivitting and mysterious as well, Poeticpiers uses a pic of, I'm guessing, himself, which shows a refined, stately gentleman which I would at first take as an Englishman. These are just little clues about ourselves which we allow others to glimpse. Would I post my own photo?, if someone asked I would. Would you post both your eyes?, only you know your own comfort zone. This would probably hold true with any other writer here. The bottom line is that we all know our own comfort zone and our readers and friends chose as to whether they want to be friends with only what they, and we, see of each other. A friend is a friend is a friend. How much more could one ask of another. Hmmm...I went on and on and on, did'nt I now. As you can see, I have thought about this as you have. :) Don.

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

The power that exists in the poem is what unravels though is never actually revealed of the poet's rhetoric speculation on what occurs around her. The subject matter is tackled with witty poignancy, intricately wovesn to fit the poem's imagery. Nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

yes to wonder is just a way of asking questions
like a stranger reaching to be a friend,
like the shy person way of opening up,
like a mask we all hide behind from time to time,
it is called wonders,well said my friend,,it's good to wonder
for that is the stuff of dreams becoming reality..peace wizthom

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I often ask myself that question when it comes to relationships, particularly with women. Who is the person on the other end? Are they being as honest as I am? What are their real thoughts and emotions? Are they really showing them to me?

In all my time on the internet I've met dozens of people. Some I have loved or cared for, but in reality I know now that I loved or cared for an idea. We never stood in the same room, never smelled each others cologne or perfume, the sense of touch was never possible (something I consider greatly important). All we had were words on a screen or paper, pictures, an image in a webcam, or a solitary voice. While I can connect, I can never be sure of what's real. That is not always possible with people you can touch.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is truly an excellent piece of work...I too have often wondered about who it really is that I am communicating online with. Are they being real with me or just pretending?? I have met a few that I can call friends forever and have yet to actually meet them in person. Does it matter? NO, it doesn't. I think that friendships can span over great distances and still be as wonderful and endearing as the ones in your own town. You have given form to the thoughts that go though my mind a lot. Great Job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I agree with both your piece and your author's note. I have met some incredible people on the Cafe, and though there are a few "bad apples" in every bunch, I choose not to focus on those. Like you said, "if the connection is positive and brings joy, does it really matter?" I think not. Well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I related to your poem pretty much.These are thoughts that cross my mind too but i wasn't able to put them down in a such sublime way.Your poem is very very good -- good and gentle flow, deep message.
This was the stanza i enjoyed the most:
"I wonder sometimes

Since we're passing lonely time

If you're really a friend of mine

Or just an imaginary companion

I've created in my mind

Online



I wonder sometimes "


Many kudos!!!!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A lot of times, through that connection, a stronger bond is formed....

Not all online friendships or relationships are a good thing, but you'll know a bad one when we come across it. I was never one for online relationships, be it friends or something further, but thats changed recently, for one AMAZING reason. And i think that the bond we've formed is unbreakable. I mean, we are realistic about it, and i think maybe that adds to it. But, no matter what, if i move on, if he moves on, he will always be special to me. He will always hold a HUGE chunk of this heart of mine. No matter distance in time, or space, or anything, he is everything.

I wouldn't know what its like to meet a cyber-friend in person, but i know that that bond still exists, that spiritual, mental bond. You get to know the spirit, the soul, the mind before you know the face, the body, though physical chemistry is important. But that bond we make, the grows between, we two souls meet, that matters more, and i believe it can easily span the distance, no matter how great, whether we "know" the person or not...

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1660 Views
67 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 25, 2008
Last Updated on May 26, 2008

Author

Dani California
Dani California

CA



About
A Noiseless Patient Spiderby Walt Whitman A noiseless patient spider, I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated, Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding, It launch'd fort.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..