Pride's Funeral

Pride's Funeral

A Poem by Dani California

Was there a shred of truth to the madness? Were the words spoken, though distorted in its portrayal of events, perhaps worthy of listening to on some oblique level? Am I the less than perfect person I have always feared myself to be?  

 

Action and reaction at its base level.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

 

Please, point out to me all that is wrong with me so that I may grow, so that I may become the person whom I admire most. But, do it in a civil and forthright manner. Not indirectly direct, or in a hurtful and demeaning way.

 

The problem with becoming the person I admire the most is, it’s difficult to admire anyone when you know that they too, are imperfect. 

  

So, now what? How can I mimic another, if no other is any more worthy than I? Of course, there are those who proclaim to be great. Those who are self appointed judges of character. Those who point fingers in haste, quickly forgetting where that finger has been.

 

Is this not a judgment in itself?  Where does it all begin and end?

  

I want you to tell me when you think that I have done you an injustice, but please, TELL me when that is what you think.  Do not broadcast to the world what “type” you believe me to be, especially when your facts are as clouded as your view.

 

Speculation is not fact by the way. 

 

At what point did we become so prideful?  At what point did we forget to check our own backyards before we started climbing fences? Certainly, this type of fence climbing should be discouraged and frowned upon.

 

At what point did we, mankind, forget how to love one another?  Or did we ever know how?  

 

I want to be the best person that I can be.  And I need you to be the best person that you can be.  Simultaneously.   

 

Pride's funeral. 

 

 

 

.

© 2008 Dani California


Author's Note

Dani California
This is a draft. After reading it over, I've decided to work on it more, expand... I'm keeping the piece up. Suggestions (constructive) are welcomed. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey Dani...
I will try to recreate what I said previously but I am sure it won't be exactly the same...

I am so uncomfortable most of the time with the person that I am... but, I wouldn't want to be anyone else... does that make sense?? It isn't that I feel better than... anyone... just that I am comfortable with the things that I believe... about life, about love, about others... Pride's funeral ... Where is it that pride trips me up?? I don't even know. I guess it means being able to give up so much of yourself... to accept everything about someone else...

I tried once to tell someone about an injustice that I felt they had inflicted upon me... Ohhh my, that did not go well at all... People are so less than... I don't know how to describe the feeling... it is so empty when you look at someone in the eye and see their contempt for you... when all you did was tell them the truth... It is my experience.. that no one wants to hear any truth but their own... time and time again... in every relationship... I guess the grace of life is in being able to accept the fact that most people will not ever really see who you really are... and be able to love everything about you... so true... that is what it means to relate... I guess you have to be willing to give up so much of yourself... I know people will vehemently disagree ... but I wonder if they are in a relationship??? If so, I wonder if the one they love has to give up so much of themselves as the purchase price of that love??? I talk too much... so unconstructively... I love your work Dani... Thank you..........


Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is great work Dani! I think we all sometimes forget who we
are when we try to be something or someone we aren't. The trouble
is finding out who we really are and accepting that we aren't perfect.

I don't think we need to asking what is wrong with "us" but the
world in which is filled with anger, evil and greed. I also wonder
where love and respect went. People point fingers, judge and
no one knows a damn thing! You are so right, we need to be the
best person we can be, get to know who we are, all faults
and all, and go the hell on.

Importantly, learn to respect ourselves. Days will pass and we will
not be perfect, and we may become weak, but in the end I feel
that our strength will win over what some may have labled us as.

Great job!

AD

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This read to me like a very specific message for a very specific someone. However.... we all could use to bury our pride. To the lines that say you want to mimic or admire, but who when we're all imperfect... I want to scream... no one, no one.....just yearn to discover who you are, nevermind who we are.

I like the question about if mankind ever knew how to love one another... with such the bloody history this earth has it is a very valid question, indeed. Thankfully, I do know first hand that I have given and recieved love, so perhaps there is hope.

Imperfection is what I think makes us beautiful. It's the little flaws the endear a loved one to us, it's a jumping point for reaching higher, it's what makes us loveable. Who could make love to Buddha?

OK... I'm feeling awfully bizarre at the moment, lol, so I think I'll leave now. I did enjoy this piece, extremely well written and presented... and something all of us have pondered at least once I'm sure.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think this needs any revision Dani, your narrative is sublime and the presentation of the piece is well-placed. It's message is profound and I think the idea of having a funeral for false pride is a great one. You have managed to more than touch on a serious problem in society...uncontrollable tongues!!!!
Well done and kudos from me...
Helen :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i loved how its broken down to questioning your own beliefs and thoughts......kinda like a car wreck or a reality show feel about it when thats done and you get the impression you are spying on someone.....i was intrigued throughout.....would love to see what else you do with it

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write! Really love it and the title especially. It really caught my attention and pulled me in. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

'Those who point fingers in haste, quickly forgetting where that finger has been.'

I like the way you've raise questions in a free flow of words. Unless you want to add more intriguing questions and quirky statements like the one above, I personally think it's fine.

Nice write!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is great...I like the sentiments you express and yes, I am guilty of pointing fingers, although I know where the finger has been ;) I think we'd all be better off if we were able to just be honest and open and not expect retaliation in any form. I don't mean blind cruelty, I mean the kind of honesty that comes from the soul. I need that honestly like I need oxygen and I think most people fear it. I try to keep my mouth shut because I know that most want to live in their self-made reality without my views interferring with their's. Very thought provoking and well written. I look forward to the final draft!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Luckily, I had a father that I could look up to and lean on through thick and thin..There were 9 of us children but we all felt this way..Dad could solve it or fix it no matter the problem..Honest as the day is long, not critical but ready to whip a fanny when needed or to offer praise when a job was well done..If I could change anything about my father it would be to of had him longer living on this earth..A large piece of my sould died with him..Be yourself is the main thing aand be the best that you can be..God bless..Valentine Luckily I still have a God and Father in Heaven!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was another great piece, thought-provoking and universal - something I would think everyone would nod in understanding about. KUDOS! I would how it would be if you took out some of the words and formatted it into lines, like below? Do you think it would carry a bit more of a punch? I love the message, just offering a suggestion...what do you think?

Was there a shred of truth to the madness?
Words spoken,
Though distorted in its portrayal,
Worthy on an oblique level?
Am I the less than perfect person
I have always feared myself to be?





Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WoW! I truly loved this piece! It displays all of the everyday craziness of what people say and do. People should not point fingers, people should not judge a book by its cover, people should not hastely do something if they dont know or think what the outcome is going to be like without proceeding very carefully to the next or even any level, and people should not be arrogant, deceitful or conceited at all. And ur right...where in the world can we find these magical people that are so perfect? lol.. Well, the answer is an obvious one. We are all the perfect ones, and all we can do is to try our best in each of our everyday lives. But we cant be a******s about it lol. Great work!

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1386 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on August 9, 2008
Last Updated on August 9, 2008

Author

Dani California
Dani California

CA



About
A Noiseless Patient Spiderby Walt Whitman A noiseless patient spider, I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated, Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding, It launch'd fort.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..