A Blade of Grass

A Blade of Grass

A Poem by Dani California

 

A blade of grass rests comfortably; 

resting on my knee, small and green,

I stare at it suspiciously.

 

A blade of grass sits quietly;

sitting on my knee, small and green,

I wonder what it wants from me.

 

A blade of grass weeps silently;

weeping on my knee, small and green,

I brush it away thoughtlessly.  

 

A blade of grass carries no shame;   

staring back at me, strong and green,

never forgetting its moment of fame.

 

© 2009 Dani California


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The simple silent things in life are often overlooked yet so important. This poem celebrates their place in this world. This brings to mind a small fern that grows from a pocket on a boulder in my favorite bouldering area. I have been visiting this place for 18 yrs and the fern never grows any bigger but lives on.I have always made a point of greeting him, to appreciate the small things that make the whole so beautiful. Thank you for reminding me . I loved this poem . Great job.

Mr.Lopez

Posted 15 Years Ago


8 of 8 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I don't know what "WIP" means, I only know only certain eyes can see the deeper meanings of such simple things. It takes the eye of an artist or poet, which you obviously have. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I love this poem, its really well written and expessed, reminds me of meditation and thoughts set to height
in simplicity and wonder, ascending in nature and insight, metaphorically ambitious, Delight to read, thanks!

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Something as simple as a blade of grass, and you brought it to life,
made it beautiful. AD

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I feel for the poor little leaf, probably fallen of a branch of a tree, taken by the wind on to your lap.
I do believe that plants have feelings and so have leaves of plants. Why else would people talk to plants?
Maybe the little leaf was missing it's brothers and sisters?

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is glowing in emerald.. such depth and magick forged in so few words. The spiritual essence of your creation is timeless!



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I find the last line throws me into a paradox: I'm not sure what fame the blade of grass had or why it was weeping. Excellent play on attribution, your thoughts coexpressed by personification of nature. There is a not so small allusion here as well for anyone who has read about Zen.
When Zen was brought to Japan by the sixth patriarch, Bodhidharma, his key sermon was wordless. He merely held up a single blade of grass, and one monk in the audience had a realization/awakening. Bodhidharma acknowledged this monk for understanding the message.
Great thought provoker here, and also as one writer said, like Walt Whitman in its embrace of nature.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I feel as though I have missed something to the effect that none of the readers of this piece has had anything to mention on thoughts as to Walt Whitman. This piece here, feels as if it was written as somewhat of a tribute to the author, in which point I would say it is well composed after his likeness. I haven't read much of your work, Dani California, as I am a new member but I am inclined to read more. This is interesting.

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

To me, this poem spoke more to the facet of how we as people tend to transpose our thoughts and feelings onto other things. I say that because you mentioned that "it feels no shame," unlike a person that does from time-to-time.

I think we relate to nature is much more relevant to us as a species than say...relating to your toaster or your alarm clock.

In nature we find things that are like us. Things that grow, live, and eventually die. I think this has a wonderful ring to it, and a peace and flow that is soothing. As to a WIP, i'd be interested in seeing what you might add, and where your imagination will take the reader.

Very best,
Mark

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

a balde of grass is something that is so natural but somthing we can just flick away as insignificant, until something we see in it makes it profound. It is all in the way we look at it, if it becomes a deep meaning to us, our thoughts wonder what it is that covers our thoughts...... is it you or is it the blade of grass that provokes this deep thought? you are an expert at metaphor as I read this. I am in awe of this piece and amused that I happened upon your page.

DM

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

" A blade of grass weeps silently;
weeping on my knee, small and green,
I brush it away thoughtlessly.

A blade of grass carries no shame;
staring back at me, strong and green,
never forgetting its moment of fame."

------ I loved the poem, nature, greenery, life appeared in divine reflections with hope .. great piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1672 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on November 15, 2008
Last Updated on March 19, 2009

Author

Dani California
Dani California

CA



About
A Noiseless Patient Spiderby Walt Whitman A noiseless patient spider, I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated, Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding, It launch'd fort.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..