Star Gazing: Scene 11

Star Gazing: Scene 11

A Screenplay by Daniel Contreras IV

Ext. Daniel’s Roof -- Night

Cut to Daniel pacing on the roof, Ian’s sleeping body is present next to him. Daniel is red faced, and his eyes bloodshot. It looks as if he has been crying. He sinks to his knees and pulls out the heroin from his sock. He open’s the bag and puts some heroin onto a spoon along with a bit of water. Daniel is so hurt, he is visibly shaking and can barely keep the water and powder on the spoon. Daniel takes out a lighter and syringe from his pocket as well. He melds the powder and water together and draws it up into the syringe. There is a moment here when Daniel looks vacantly at the syringe before him. He lifts up his sleeve to reveal several track marks from where he has shot up before.

Daniel
One last hit.

 He turns to Ian to make sure he’s still asleep, and then sticks the needle in his arm. A flash of white and Daniel falls out of screen from the euphoric feeling of the opium.  




Maggie’s House- Int.-- Night


Daniel falls into screen shirtless on Maggie’s bed. Daniel, eyes closed, opens them and sees Maggie standing before him. Maggie seductively crawls into bed with him and runs her fingers up his stomach to his chest. Maggie gets closer and closer to him, until her face is millimeters away from his. They embrace, turn over to where Maggie’s on bottom and Daniel starts kissing her neck. Daniel then lifts his head up to the mirror to see that he has morphed into Dan. He looks down at Maggie, who is smiling back up at him. Daniel, in Dan’s body, jumps up hastily off the bed. In a kind of a panic, he walks backward, trips and falls.


Spencer’s House- Int.-- Night

Daniel, now back in his original body, falls into screen again, this time in Spencer’s bedroom. Spencer is sitting by himself, with a joint in his hand. Daniel is visibly startled.

Daniel
AHHHH!!!!

Spencer
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Daniel
AHH!!! Where I am I?!

Spencer
You, my friend, are in a coma.

Daniel
What? A Coma?

Ext. Daniel’s Roof -- Night

Cut to a shot of Daniel laying motionless as Ian sleeps next to him.


Spencer’s House- Int.-- Night

Cut back to Spencer’s house. Daniel starts to sit down. Spencer hands Daniel the joint in an attempt to calm his nerves.

Spencer
Yep. You used too much. I told you, that stuff is potent.

Daniel
So this is a coma?

Spencer
Yes. How many times do I have to say it, fool?

Daniel
So what’re you doing here?

Spencer
I’m not really here.

Daniel
You’re not?



Spencer
Nope. I’m your mental interpretation of Spencer. Not the real Spencer himself. We’re in your mind right now.

Looking at the j in his hand.

Daniel
So this isn’t real right now?

Spencer
No. But you think it is, and if you convince your mind, then it’s just as good.

Daniel
(Disappointed) Not anymore.

Daniel flicks away the j.


Spencer
Hey, what’re you doing? Don’t throw that on the carpet.


Daniel
What? Is my mind gonna go up in flames?

Beat

Daniel
Okay, so how long are we gonna be here. Till I wake up?

Spencer
No no no... you’re not waking up.

Daniel
What?! What do you mean I’m not waking up?

Spencer
What did I tell you before. If you put in more than I said to, bad things happen. You’re lucky your not dead to be honest.

Daniel
How do you know I’m not dead?

Spencer
You’re right. How do I know? You could be dead right now.

Daniel
(Startled) Okay, what do I do?

Spencer
(Thinking) Uh... Oh, I know. Check your pulse.

Daniel puts two fingers up to his neck. Obviously the wrong way to check your pulse, though.

Daniel
I can’t feel anything.

Spencer
Uh- Oh.

Daniel checks his wrist pulse, and then begins to calm down.

Daniel
Oh, thank God. Not dead.



Spencer
But not far away from it.

Daniel
What do you mean?

Spencer
You’re dying, bud.

Daniel
...Is there anything I can do?

Spencer
If it’s you’re time, it’s you’re time. (Takes a hit of another joint that magically appeared.)

Daniel
Thanks. That’s encouraging.

Spencer
It’s a fact of life.

Daniel remains seated, thinking. Then, he get’s up and begins to walk out of the room.

Spencer
Where you going?

Daniel
If I only have a few minutes left, I don’t want to spend them here.

Spencer
(Sarcastic) Thanks. Good friend.

Daniel
We’re not friends.

Daniel walks out, Spencer remains seated.

Spencer
That’s not very nice.



Spencer’s House- Ext.-- Day

Daniel walks out of the house and looks around. He looks at a car in Spencer’s drive way and gets to thinking.

Daniel
 If you convince your mind, then it’s just as good.

Daniel closes his eyes tight and clenches his fist. When he opens his fist, reveal a set of car keys. Spencer pop’s up out of nowhere in front of Daniel.

Spencer
You can’t get out of here you know.

Daniel
It’s my mind, I can do what I want.

Daniel looks at the car again and closes his eyes.


Daniel
(To himself) Blue Grand Marquee. Blue Grand Marquee.

Pan in close to a full shot of Daniel, and then pan out again to reveal a blue Grand Marquee next to him. He smiles and begins to walk towards the car, but Spencer pops up and cuts him off.

Spencer
I can’t let you get out of here.

Daniel
Get out of the way Spencer.

Out of nowhere, as if the sky is calling him, Daniel hears a muffled voice yelling his name. Daniel looks around, confused.

Daniel
You here that?

Spencer
No.

Daniel
Get out of the way.

Spencer
Sorry. Can’t.

Daniel
I don’t want to have to beat up my imaginary friend. Move.

Spencer
(Standing his ground) No.

Daniel c***s back his arm to punch, but as he swings forward the world around him changes. Puzzled, Daniel looks around to find that he’s inside his house.

Daniel’s House- Int.-- Day

Spencer is no longer in front of him, but next to him.

Spencer
Dude, it smells like cat pee in here.

Daniel
Get away from me!

Spencer
You know, you have a tendency to run away from you’re problems. You can’t run away from yourself.

Daniel
I can try.

He runs out the door, desperately trying to run away from his fate.

Daniel’s house/neighborhood- Ext.-- Day

Daniel, panic stricken, runs down his neighborhood street. About 100 yards down the street Spencer pops up on the hood of a car (Possibly bed of a trunk).

Spencer
Where are you running to?


Daniel runs right past him, not giving him a second thought. He runs to Ian’s yard (Ian happens to live four doors down from Daniel) and up his porch steps and begins to pound on his door.

Daniel
Come on, Ian. Open up... Be home.

Spencer pops up next to Daniel yet again.

Spencer
He’s not home. He’s probly with Tony, his new best friend since you’ve been using.
 
Daniel
God, shut up!

Daniel run’s down his street back to his house, as he runs into his garage, Spencer already beat him there.


Spencer
You’re just tiring yourself out now.

Daniel ignores him yet again and runs into the house.


Daniel’s House- Int.-- Day

Daniel stop’s in the house, exhausted.

Daniel
Mom!!!!!! Mom!!!!!! You here?!?!?!?!?!?!

Daniel begins to walk through the house in search for his mother. Spencer is at the kitchen counter laughing.


Spencer
Your mom? You’re mom’s never here. (He notices a note in front of him and picks it up.) Look’s like she went clubbing again... I never did like baby seals.

Daniel
Leave... Me... Alone!

Spencer
What, are you gonna push me away too? Just like you did everybody else? You want to die alone?

 Daniel
(Solemn) No.

Spencer
Really? Because you ditched everybody that ever cared for you. And for what? Cocaine? Heroin?

Daniel
I didn’t push Maggie away. She left me.

Spencer
Did she? It sure looked like it a couple hours ago when you left her at the door. What did you think was gonna happen?


Daniel
Not that.

Spencer
She can’t wait for you to come around forever, Daniel.

Just then, the world changes again, and they are on top of Daniel’s roof.
Ext. Daniel’s Roof -- Night

Daniel sinks to his knees, and clutches his head in pain.

Spencer
Looks like the lack of oxygen going to your brain is getting to you. It’s your time. I’ll let you be alone... Like you want.

Daniel
(On the ground, writhing in pain) No... Wait.

Spencer looks at Daniel sympathetically.

Spencer
Sorry.

Spencer snaps his fingers and disappears. Daniel is left alone, wiggling on the ground like a worm ready to be stepped on. Suddenly, Daniel stops wiggling. He look’s up at the night sky one last time. The screen slowly fades to black when...

© 2011 Daniel Contreras IV


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I congratulate your effort. You put a lot of thought and work into this. I've only read a bit of it and I'm not sure I get it all, but I do think it impressive someone 18 can make a serious go at a screen play, especially one wherein reality is played around with.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Added on January 26, 2011
Last Updated on January 26, 2011

Author

Daniel Contreras IV
Daniel Contreras IV

Sandusky, OH



About
18 year old high schooler from Sandusky, Ohio. Loves long walks on the beach, but hates sand. That stuff gets everywhere. In all your crevices and such. I love to write. Mostly screenplays. I'll add t.. more..

Writing