Blood on the Horizon

Blood on the Horizon

A Story by Dani
"

I was trying out a bit of short fiction. It's full of suprises, so read to see...;)

"
A woman, a pretty young thing, sits cross legged in an arm chair which lay in front of a window. Outside the window, bullets blasted and war was breaking. It was the onset. She had a black crochet blanket on her lap, and her blue, cloudy eyes gazed out the window, into the dust and detritus.
 A sharp knock came at the door, and a man entered before the woman could grant him entrance. He amble across the room, medallions on his suit clanking as he did, and came to stand beside her and the tattered arm chair.
 “Good even’ Madame,” He stated congenially. “I have grave news.”
 Without looking away from the window, the turmoil, she replied. “I know.”
 The army man, normally stoic became unwontedly startled. “You know?”
 “I know,” replied the woman, her voice raspy and somber, as though inundated with tears unspent.
 “Who told you?” The army man had an avid curiosity about this that he could not explain.
 “I told me. I saw it will my eye.” The woman said with certainty.
 The army man saw this as madness, but played her game. “Your mind’s eye?”
 “Yes. Once when I was a young girl, I frolicked through a meadow, but stumbled on the wrong path. A man stopped me the woods and shoved me to the ground; he hurt me. When he grabbed me by the neck, I fought. There was a knife in the road, and his blood poured over me. As his blood splashed like a waterfall, I saw my husband.” She did not move an inch, but the man shook in his polished black boots, the woman’s insanity was frightening. She spoke quieter, “He was not my husband then, but I saw him in his black uniform, his head away from his body, and blood moistening the ground, feeding the earth with a needed liquid.”
 “If you knew he would die so young, why did you marry him?”
 “You know nothing of the heart, sir. Despite that he had merely a few hairs on his chin; my heart was conjoined to his. Perhaps it was better to know, so I could love him for every second of this transient human life.” She silenced herself abruptly, staring out the window again, cloudy eyed, her brilliant hair and pale face shadowed by the dusk light.
 She’s clearly created a fallacy, something to hide behind. She “saw” his death, therefore she had control of it. He put his rough hand lightly on her delicate shoulder, “I’ll see to it you have protection and safety fair woman.” She said nothing, silence burning in his ears. He took an anxious breath, and sauntered quickly out the door. His footsteps in his dark black boots echoed softly and the old door creaked as it was shut.
 The woman smiled sadly. “Perhaps you were nervous, sir, because you know I speak the truth, and because you know I smelled your death, your rotting carrion on the horizon. “

© 2011 Dani


Author's Note

Dani
what do you think of the forshadowing and theme, does it work well?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think that the foreshadowing theme was set just right, giving off an air of knowledge that leaves the readers frightened at what the character(s) know, yet wanting more. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011

Author

Dani
Dani

WI



About
Rapid Fire About me. What's good! I live in the Rural Midwest. I got accepted to UW-River Falls. I'm an A/B student I'm on anti anxiety/anti depressants-- so I don't feel so awful anymore. :) .. more..

Writing