Day 2

Day 2

A Chapter by DarkHunter

Day 2
I woke up from my sleeping bag after a good night's sleep, ate a big breakfast, and thought up a great plan. I even found an AK-47 in a storage room with plenty of ammo next to it, and... 
No. Not really. I slept on the cold hard ground last night, kind of reminds me of that Taylor Swift song. But instead of having a danger of having my heart broken, I have a very real chance of getting my heart eaten. 

Speaking of Taylor Swift, I actually met her and several other celebrities in the base, since it's one of the only safe havens in USA right now. And since they're VIPs, they were pretty much automatically taken into the safety of the base. Which I found unfair, but it isn't me that makes these decisions, is it? The only thing I ever convinced my upper officer to do was to stop the helicopter fly-bys, which is what landed me in this situation in the first place.

Anyway, back to the day's happenings. The moans of the zombie in the floors below last night sounded liked a chorus of insomnia. Yes, of course there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of undead in this building. I'm going to have to make my way down soon, since I can't just jump off the building. Yes, I know what you're thinking about. Why don't I just use the parachute I used to get off the helicopter? Two reasons. One. It is much more dangerous on ground, then in the building. That may seem counter-intuitive, but it makes sense if you think about it. New York had an population of 8.4 million, which is a population density of twenty-seven thousand and eight hundred people every square mile. So when the outbreak started in the city, it didn't take long for almost everyone to get infected. Now, the streets of the Big Apple are so packed with zombies, that you can't even see the pavement in most places. No, not going down there.
The second reason is, well, I don't have a parachute to jump with now anyway. After last night's lesson, I cut up the parachute with my machete and made a DIY sleeping bag. It's not much softer or warmer then the concrete, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

The building below was once a apartment building filled with people. So I'm hoping to find food and water, supplies, maybe even weapons down there. For now, my primary target is to find a radio to call to base and tell them that I'm still alive and well, and if they would be so kind as to haul my sorry a*s out of this hellhole. I also in need of a better weapon. I can't just stab every zombie in their eye sockets. What if I miss? And as for that matter, my blade in serrated, so there's quite a high chance of it getting stuck in the flesh. If that happens, they'll just pull me in, and rip, tear, bite... Well, you get the idea. What's left of me will look like the results of a baby in a tantrum, with a bottle of ketchup in hand. Surviving would be much easier if I had a gun.

There are thousands of ways to kill a man, but only one way to kill a zombie. Destroy the brain. Which is much harder then it sounds, since the human skull is one of the toughest materials in nature. With my blade, the only way I was getting through the cranium is if I stab through the eye socket or the temple. I'm not very good with a knife, so I don't really like my odds.

The virus that causes someone to transform into a zombie currently has no cure, so if you're bit, it's game over. Their flesh is also highly toxic, so no eating, not that I'd want to. And they also never stop. If they lock onto a target, they'll chase it relentlessly until either it or the target is destroyed.

I knew that the sooner I go down there the better, if I didn't find supplies in the lower floor, I'd still have enough to last me a day. So I decided to go down today. I took deep breaths, swung my machete around, told myself that it would be all right, and preparing to go down he stairs. Half an hour later, I had finished barricading up the roof entrance with some wooden boards I found on the floor, in fear of zombies coming through. Who the f**k am I kidding? I'm not ready yet! But inside, I know that I have to be ready soon. I only have enough food and water for one more day. After that, I'll start starving. I can hear faint banging sounds coming from behind the barricaded door already. I hope I've sealed that door up good. Another sleepless night I guess.


© 2015 DarkHunter


Author's Note

DarkHunter
Long time since I've uploaded, but I've already written down the next few days, so it shouldn't be long until the next few comes out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on November 24, 2015
Last Updated on November 24, 2015
Tags: zombie, apocalypse, humor, horror, dark comedy


Author

DarkHunter
DarkHunter

Taipei, Taiwan



About
Tom Clancy fan. Likes to write short, thrilling, and comedic stories. more..

Writing
Bunker 127 Bunker 127

A Story by DarkHunter